California Governor Gavin Newson pledges $100,000 to help Charlie Christ defeat Ron DeSatan (DeSantis)

ellentonboy

California Democrat Governor Newson tweeted he is sending 100K to help Charlie Crist defeat DeSantis.  It's great news that gay Floridians have support from other Democrats in trying to win the Governor's race in November.  If this subject interests you (and I hope it does) you can catch the details on any news outlet like CNN, or MSBNC.

Great news for those living in the Sunshine State, what great news to wake up to!  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Now that Crist is the nominee, I'll definitely vote for him.  I even sent him some dough.  

What I'm wondering is ....   If DeathSantis runs for President in 2 years, at what point (if any) would he be required to step aside from attempting to be Governor of FL?  Is there some point at which a sitting plutocrat is required to recuse him or her self from their current position?  And when he loses the Presidential election, can he automatically resume is former position?  

I did see the Newsome news.  Now that's what a State Governor should be like.  And, that cop in Uvalde got the gate - finally.  Hopefully that spiritually crippled current Governor gets the gate in Texas too.  Go Beto !!

• Like 1

Sitting governors run for president all the time, and remain governor if they fail to get the nomination (or to win the election, if nominated by their party). 

The same is true for sitting senators and representatives (or, indeed, any office-holder).

In part this is because the qualifications to hold federal elected office (President, Vice-President, Senator, Representative) are specified in the US Constitution, and the Supreme Court has ruled that neither Congress nor individual states can impose additional qualifications, either positive (ie you must have a high school diploma) or negative (ie you cannot be a sitting governor). That's why term limits for Congress are unconstitutional (it boils down to an additional "negative" qualification - that you have not already served X number of terms).

That's also why, when the decision was made to limit US presidents to two terms (after FDR was elected four times), it had to be done by constitutional amendment. The same would be true for barring sitting governors from running for president, or for any other limitation on who can be elected.

For reference: a representative must be at least 25 years old and a resident of the state in which he is elected (but note: you don't have to actually live in any particular district to run for that district).

A senator must be at least 30 years old and a resident of the state in which he is elected.

The president and vice-president must be at least 35 years old and a "natural born citizen". That term is not defined in the Constitution and the courts have not had a great deal of casework interpreting it, but the general consensus is that it means "a citizen at birth" - that is, born within the United States (including its territories) and subject to the laws thereof (ie not a child of a foreign diplomat born here), or else the child of a U.S. citizen born abroad. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, BootmanLA.  Thus dies that dream.  I had my fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes crossed - but you seem to know everything about everything.  We'll see what happens in November, the worst being that a poisonous spider presently restricted to FL gets to infect the rest of the 49.

Where should we all move to?  Some guys around here are talking about Uruguay, some Portugal.  Maybe there actually will be a United States of Canada, where we can hide in our igloos and freeze our dicks off .....  

11 hours ago, evilqueerpig said:

WTF, I'm vicious!

Well, that may be so, but if it is, you have plenty of company !  I was kinda hoping there'd be an opening at Rikers ...... dump all of them up there.  Then again, there's this new Artemis rocket headed out of Canaveral a little later .... maybe we could send him to the moon !!!

2 hours ago, hntnhole said:

Well, that may be so, but if it is, you have plenty of company !  I was kinda hoping there'd be an opening at Rikers ...... dump all of them up there.  Then again, there's this new Artemis rocket headed out of Canaveral a little later .... maybe we could send him to the moon !!!

Rikers?  I'd prefer an unimproved Alcatraz or Guantanamo Bay!  Why pollute the moon?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Fillitup57 said:

of course it is not his money- he will use his campaign funds- and am sure it will not go over well in Flordia as it would not if someone from out of state gave money for Newsom-  of course Newsom would be having dinner in Napa. 

In virtually every state election, a considerable portion of money raised is from out of state entities and people. That's true across the board, for pretty much all states and all parties.

As for the "Napa" crack: yes, it was poor optics for Newsom to have dinner at the French Laundry, unmasked, during a period when most people were being urged, if not coerced, into social distancing in public. Give it a rest. There are a lot of things in the world that show far worse judgment than a politician attending a party honoring a political aide.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jackruby said:

Newsom pissed away his money. Lmao. 

And unfortunately the decent people of Florida (which apparently are less than a majority in the state now) will suffer another four years of a shitty asshole as governor and another six years of a lying con artist as US senator. Floriduh is fast living up to its "Florida Man" reputation. Unfortunately, the shithead-type voters tend to live well away from the coast so we can't look forward to their homes washing away with the rising sea levels. 

36 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

will suffer another four years of a shitty asshole as governor

Not if he decides to run for President. Under Florida law, a holder of a federal, state, or local office who is seeking another office must resign from the office held no later than ten days prior to qualifying for the office sought. Failure to resign by that date will result in an automatic resignation with immediate effect. How this applies to a presidential race is unclear, but seems likely to apply to qualifying for the Florida Republican Primary.

In short, if he intends to throw his hat in the ring for POTUS, he’s a short-timer.