• Administrators

Many black guys carry a gene that gives them resistance to malaria, but makes them more likely to become HIV positive. Read more about it...

My blog post on the topic a while ago

[/url]The article I cited in my post doesn't seem to exist any more.

Another article on black guys, malaria & HIV

• 3 years later...

I wonder if there have been additional studies to add weight to this.

I haven't heard anything in particular just in reference to this, but there are lots of reasons that HIV is higher amount people of color (both inside and outside of Africa)  I've done some outreach work in some areas where its predominately black populations, and even if there is a slight genetic predisposition, it is far from the only reason.  Personally at least in the US I would say that at least among black MSM, racism is a bigger factor than any genetic variance.  Many black MSM tend to have sex or date predominately or exclusively within their race.  In many cases because of mistrust or bad experiences in dating or having sex outside their race.  While there is nothing wrong with that, what it has also done is created a concentrated pool of people that are HIV+.  Combine that with mistrust of the medical establishment, because of wrongs in the past, and you have a recipe for high HIV infection rates.

However like I said before, there are tons of reasons, and this is just a part of it.