A Medical First Involving the Sixth Person to be Cured of HIV

There's an article on Curiouschaser.com about medical scientists working on a cure for HIV and also has a poll at the end - basically, if you could be cured of HIV, would you want to be?  Would be interesting to see a broad response...

[think before following links] https://www.curiouschaser.com/a-medical-first-involving-the-sixth-person-to-be-cured-of-hiv/

• Like 2

From what iv'e read it's not a real cure for HIV, those persons need a stem cell transplant because of cancer, and the only way to surivive that type of cancer they need a stem cell transplant that have a very high risk to die during or after the procedure, but for those people it's their only chance to survive. that it ''cures'' HIV is just a additional benefit. this method would never going widely used to ''cure'' HIV. there is a long way to go to find a real cure without the high risk of dying

Edited by Kimberley

I've actually thought a lot about this.. I was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer a little over 5 years ago, and was told that if the original course of treatment did not put me in remission or I had a recurrence I would need a stem cell transplant. Having been through a rigorous course of chemo and radiation, that stopped short of completely destroying and replacing my immune system the current "cure" is something I would put myself throu only as a last resort. If a less dangerous cure for HIV is found I will seek it. I did find 1 small bit of encouragement in this article, in that we now have someone who was cured without requiring stem cells from someone with that was believed to have genetic immunity to HIV.

• Upvote 1