What is "Woke"?

viking8x6

I know this isn't exactly what our estimable Viking asked for, but .....

To me, the term "woke" is nothing more than a clumsy-ism for "awakened", used to divide those who have 1) realized, and 2) take positive steps in their own lives to reflect an enlightened attitude towards cultural/social ills that have been foisted upon the less privileged, less fortunate, less entitled.  

"Woke" folks would donate books to libraries, not strip them of certain books.  "Woke" folks would donate a couple of bucks to the beggar on the corner, as opposed to turning one's head and pretending the beggar isn't there.  "Woke" folks donate whatever they can to organizations that help kids everywhere get enough to eat.  Every little gesture to "Woke-ism" counts.  

When one begins to actually devote some measure of even-handed thought to how we lift up the downtrodden, allow and help each other to live richer, fuller lives, or- to put it simply - "feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless, comfort the sick, and love our neighbors as we love ourselves" - then that individual has arrived at a new awareness, or "awakened" to a deeper level of consciousness that creates a better human being out of the less-enlightened person prior to that enlightenment.  

Edited by hntnhole
phrasing
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

If you can access it, there is a very good BBC Radio 4 short series about the origins and development of the word and the ideas it's associated with. [think before following links] https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001jc1l?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

In general, to my mind, being woke is being aware of the fundamental injustice faced by too many people. It is used pejoratively in much the same way as Political Correctness (gone mad) was in the 1990s - a shorthand to dismiss any idea which challenges someone (who doesn't want to) to have even a base level of compassion for anyone who they see as Other or somehow lesser.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BlindRawFucker1 said:

“Making shit up out of thin air?”

Would you care to explain what I said was “shit” that I made up out of “thin air?”

I think it's referring to the book's author, not you...

16 minutes ago, Monorchid said:

If you can access it, there is a very good BBC Radio 4 short series about the origins and development of the word and the ideas it's associated with. [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001jc1l?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

In general, to my mind, being woke is being aware of the fundamental injustice faced by too many people. It is used pejoratively in much the same way as Political Correctness (gone mad) was in the 1990s - a shorthand to dismiss any idea which challenges someone (who doesn't want to) to have even a base level of compassion for anyone who they see as Other or somehow lesser.

BBC's have radios. Now that's woke!

But seriously its racial injustice as experienced by black people.

White liberals co-opted the term.

Happy Black History Month!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, topblkmale said:

BBC's have radios. Now that's woke!

But seriously its racial injustice as experienced by black people.

White liberals co-opted the term.

Happy Black History Month!

Indeed, the British Broadcasting Corporation transmits radio. Maybe some big black cocks work there but that's beside the point.

"White Liberals" didn't know what the term meant when white right wing extremists thew it at us as an insult (isn't that the whole point of Viking's question?) We have had to learn, and it's been a hard lesson at times. Flippant sexualising of a serious discussion simply makes it harder. Or should I say 'more difficult ' in case 'harder' brings out more innuendo? 🤔

(MODERATORS: I hope you take the humour in my response.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Monorchid said:

MODERATORS: I hope you take the humour in my response

Trust me, if I didn't have a sense of humor I'd have run screaming for the hills about 20 minutes after I started being a moderator.

"White Liberals" didn't know what the term meant when white right wing extremists thew it at us as an insult (isn't that the whole point of Viking's question?)

Presumably said right wing people have something in mind as to what it means. Given that it obviously isn't what the various left-wing and historically educated responses in this topic have outlined, I'm still waiting to hear what it might be. Crickets on that so far.

And just to further clarify my question, I'm NOT interested in what the right-wing media machine means by it. I'm interested in how actual right-wing people (who participate in this forum) understand it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

Presumably said right wing people have something in mind as to what it means.

I think they really don't know themselves, they just see some undefined threat to their perceived superiority. It's the current incarnation of I'm Alright Jack.

Quite how having feelings for my common man is something to be denigrated is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My sensation is that "woke" is the same of "politically correct", "LGBT propaganda"...

I often notice this when talking: some people using certain words repeating them by heart without even wondering what they really mean. 

I tell someone they're unpolite during a conversation where they insult? They reply back with "oh, I'm fed up of this politically correct" - I have given an elegant sample.

But when you ask: "sorry, politically correct? What do you exactly mean?"

They have very poor answers. But if you talk without filters like they want to, they feel offended! 

They can tell you you're a f-word. But if you say they're assholes, you can't. You are the usual "woke", "politically correct", "radical chic"...

I could say a lot of these, I call them "phantom words". Or, at least, they've become almost meaningless but they had a concrete meaning when they started to be used. Who knows. I could really give a huge list of these, in at least a couple languages.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I have heard "woke"/"wokeism" for the first time, in the context of "black lives matter": talking about white folks helping the black population. Consequently, it would mean "woke" - awakened from "the darkness" of racism, stigma, apartheid and such stuff. 

So, from a "white suprematist"'s perspective, a person similar to them who embraces the black cause and self-calling "woke", is an offense towards the whole suprematist's movement. 

Such as, "you are here because our parents, grand parents and before, worked hard to bring us here. And you're spitting in the dish where you eat, helping marginalized folks and leaving us behind"...

That's the philosophy of those people fighting against the phantom of "wokeism", "politically correct", "gender theory", "lgbt propaganda" and bullshit. 

It's completely normal they don't know what to answer if asked about this. They follow the group, like sheeps. Without a proper way to reason. 

I say the same about LGBT slogan "love is love"; I know many campaigns made by married LGBT couples and so on... 

But "love is love" itself is a sentence with a partial sense as a promiscuous gay man who comes (cums) and goes from a motel to the other, from a bathhouse to the other, etc... Has the exact same rights not to be judged and marginalized, than the gay couple who represents the very traditional monogamous lifestyle with or without kids. 

I'm an author after all, and know how words are important. They need to be reasoned before being pronounced or written, associating them to a cause which concerns our lives. There are gays who believe in love (like me), others who don't, or who chose not to have a loving relationship. 

"Love is love" concretely excludes people who don't give a damn of love, like they wouldn't exist. Not fair at all.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

Trust me, if I didn't have a sense of humor I'd have run screaming for the hills about 20 minutes after I started being a moderator.

Hahaha, that gave me a much needed laugh, thank you @viking8x6. I will give a deserved ''laugh'' emoji for that portion of your comment as it really did tickle me. 

I would like to have my say on this thread, but I would like to give it some proper thought first.