What is "Woke"?

viking8x6

• Moderators

A number of comments have been made in other topics that object to "wokeism" and things "woke".

As someone who more often than not votes liberal, but sometimes only because I object to the policies put forth by the conservatives, I'm curious as to what exactly it is you (the ones who made those comments) mean when you say "woke". I'm quite sure that you would refer to at least some of my friends that way, but I'm rather in the dark about what it is that you find so objectionable. Please illuminate me.

As an aside, abuse and denigration are not the way to convince anyone who currently holds a different opinion. But you knew that.

Edited by viking8x6
clarification of "you"
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

IMHO it's the opposite of woke what is objectionable. For me being "woke" means having understanding, acceptance and when necessary sympathy for people in other circumstances and cultures than one's own. Therefore the opposite is someone who is a xenophobic homophobic transphobic racist bigot.

While the Christian right doesn't get it, Jesus as portrayed in the New Testament was about as "woke" as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

"Woke" seems to mean expressing any opinion that runs contrary to a right wing cultural warrior opinion. Since the right wing cultural warriors don't all share the exact same philosophy, they often wind up calling each other "woke". In general being anti-woke seems to be a race to the lowest common denominator.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

8 hours ago, myDNA4u said:

IMHO it's the opposite of woke what is objectionable. For me being "woke" means having understanding, acceptance and when necessary sympathy for people in other circumstances and cultures than one's own. Therefore the opposite is someone who is a xenophobic homophobic transphobic racist bigot.

While the Christian right doesn't get it, Jesus as portrayed in the New Testament was about as "woke" as possible. 

Spot on

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Like a lot of slang, 'woke' originated in black American culture (90s rap, hip-hop, R&B, neo-soul). Back then it referred to watching out for 'the white man'. For me, its a bit funny and ironic hearing white liberals use the term as I understand what the original usage of the word was among black folks.

Edited by topblkmale
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TaKinGDeePanal said:

It's being (literally) "awake" to the sensitivities of others. i.e., practising empathy towards others and considering their feelings instead of "what's in it for me?".

Perfect! As usual the term has been demonized by the right wing noise machine, but being woke is what is comendable, the opposite is hate to what you don't understand or share and we all know what has taken us to before.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hey guys, I'm hearing a lot from people who are pro-"woke". That's not so much what I'm interested in with this topic. Why? Because what I want to know is what's objectionable about "woke" (to the people who consider it so). That's something that cannot be heard inside the liberal "echo chamber".

So y'all conservative guys, I ask you again - what does "woke" mean to you, and why is it something you reject?

• Upvote 1

Just now, viking8x6 said:

Hey guys, I'm hearing a lot from people who are pro-"woke". That's not so much what I'm interested in with this topic. Why? Because what I want to know is what's objectionable about "woke" (to the people who consider it so). That's something that cannot be heard inside the liberal "echo chamber".

So y'all conservative guys, I ask you again - what does "woke" mean to you, and why is it something you reject?

That's a tough one because the anti-wokism is based on disinformation spewed by the right wing media that normally is not easy to articulate in a sane spaces without embarrassing oneself. Maybe some DeSantis admirer could explain it since Florida seems to be the anti-wokism beach head.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, 50latinos said:

anti-wokism is based on disinformation spewed by the right wing media that normally is not easy to articulate in a sane spaces without embarrassing oneself

It looks that way from where you stand. Presumably it does not look that way from a MAGA supporter's living room. Which is exactly the point of this topic.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, viking8x6 said:

It looks that way from where you stand. Presumably it does not look that way from a MAGA supporter's living room. Which is exactly the point of this topic.

I know, but the fact that so far no one has been able to articulate anything speaks volumes. 

Don't get me wrong, I am also very curious and eager to learn how empathy towards you fellow men is a bad thing and unchristian. I am just predicting that it will be a hard thing to do.

• Upvote 1

The term “woke” was originally used in the 1920s.  It was not a negative term then.

Today, I can’t tell you what “woke” means, because even the author of a book on wokeness, was unable to tell a reporter what it means, while she was doing an interview on TV.

She said it was difficult to explain, and she didn’t have the time to do so during a short interview.

So, based on that, “woke” means whatever the individual who is spouting something as “woke”, wants it to mean to them.

As was said above, “woke” originally meant aware and accepting.

Definitely not today.  The opposite of “woke,” is “asleep, unaware” in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlindRawFucker1 said:

Today, I can’t tell you what “woke” means, because even the author of a book on wokeness, was unable to tell a reporter what it means, while she was doing an interview on TV.

She said it was difficult to explain, and she didn’t have the time to do so during a short interview.

So, based on that, “woke” means whatever the individual who is spouting something as “woke”, wants it to mean to them.

Let's not be disingenuous and start making shit up out of thin air, because context matters.

You appear to be referring to Bethany Mandel, a far right wing agitator who uses the word woke as a pejorative, and did in fact freeze on air because she couldn't define the very word about which she wrote an entire book.

It was a fair question to define the word, and she was flabbergasted that she was called out.

That seems to be exactly the point of this thread, to find out why certain people say woke and what they mean by. And when asked to define it, they can't.

[think before following links] https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/3901688-conservative-author-bethany-mandel-struggles-to-come-up-with-definition-of-woke/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1