What is "Woke"?

viking8x6

8 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

Well put. Thanks.  

Just talked with a woman like that, today. 

We were talking about music, an event with a chart. Winners and losers. 

There was a singer talking about world peace who achieved low places in the chart. And she said: 

"this time Woke and Politically Correct have lost. People are fed up of all this stuff"

Just a couple words. "woke" and "politically-correct" have commanded my brain to say "I don't want to know anything else from you. No interest in continuing the conversation, thanks".

They really seem trained animals who always do the same thing, remotely commanded by their owner - then they accuse us all of the same but when you label "woke and politically correct" someone talking about peace, I honestly think the world is not becoming a good place. Regardless of political address you have.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The world is having a difficult time of it these days, it seems, at least the Western world.  Sorry your conversation ended the way it did, but most of us would have reacted the same way.  The "woke-ers" are drowning in a sea of "anti-woke-ers" sometimes.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hntnhole said:

The world is having a difficult time of it these days, it seems, at least the Western world.  Sorry your conversation ended the way it did, but most of us would have reacted the same way.  The "woke-ers" are drowning in a sea of "anti-woke-ers" sometimes.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

Maybe eastern side has same trouble. There are so many homophobic countries in Africa, Asia, East Europe... 

I think it's not appropriate to dislike the place where we live and where we can defend our rights. 

Btw, the conversation ended how it had to end! It wasn't my loss at all. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PozTalkAuthor said:

Maybe eastern side has same trouble. There are so many homophobic countries in Africa, Asia, East Europe... 

I think it's not appropriate to dislike the place where we live and where we can defend our rights. 

Btw, the conversation ended how it had to end! It wasn't my loss at all. 

Absolutely. The East or West are just constructs, and even when we employ them to understand the world, the fact is we are all one human race horny race.

There are lots of great things about the West, and as you rightly say the most important thing being sexual freedoms and LGBTQ rights. Gay men in many parts of Asia, East Europe and Africa live under terrible oppression of various shades! I am someone who escape from Asia to search for a freer gay life, and can personally attest for it. In Asia, every family member — and neighbor!  seems to know time it is time for you (U) to 'get you married'( marriage of course only being to the opposite sex). In most India or China, gay men do live under socially oppressive structures and climates. While I have seen conservative parts of the West as well, I think the difference between the East and West is in the West, both the conservative and liberal parts have learnt to co-exist. On my way to mass I see a lot of openly gay, men and a newly opened rainbow restaurant. The Church does not feel the need to hunt gays anymore, or the gay to harm to the church. Sadly, the community in Asia hasn't evolved to let gays live in peace and thrive. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brnbk said:

both the conservative and liberal parts have learnt to co-exist

That may be true in the large metropolitan cities, which is why so many American gays relocated to large cities. 

That said, there is plenty of homophobic hatred of gay folks out in the other, more rural parts of the country. 

Hey @viking8x6 dear kind man. I was going to reply to you second, but after what I just read within the last hour I now wish to reply to you first. 

Since my main comment on this thread I have given this more thought and done a bit of digging to put with what I have been exposed to these last few years and it seems very clear to me that there are many folk who are using the term woke as one and the same thing in relation to the term left (political affiliation not direction of course.)

Thank you for this thread as I have learned a deeper understanding of this term and can now view videos or read writings through a new lens of perception. All the best.

• Like 1

Having spoken to people I know who use "woke" everyday and often when referring to me, this is what I've gathered:

Something woke is something the media/liberal party are trying to pass as acceptable or correct because it forces the left agenda. It's anything progressive. It's considered a threat to some because they see it as forcing ideals on them as if they are expected to accept them as truth. If it goes against the way they see the world or see as being right, it must be the world forcing everyone to "wake up" to a reality they don't like. 

That's my best explanation right now. I'm liberal, but I do know some conservatives who have "explained" the concept loudly and with gusto. 

• Thanks 1

@brnbk Thank you for your reply. I had really been enjoying it until the end. Due to neuro cognitive difficulties alongside being genuinely interested in all you had to say I found myself as I methodically read through your long reply re reading some lines over and over again to really take it all in. I had made a note of some questions I wanted to ask you, but very unfortunately you completely shut down all possibility of further discussion with;

On 2/14/2024 at 10:15 PM, brnbk said:

yes, you are devoid of empathy

My brain told me I could not have read that correctly so I read it again, and w0w, what a reaction. Despite having earlier ingested a medicine to calm my compromised nervous system down I upon re reading your spiteful (showing malicious ill will and a desire to hurt) and more importantly incorrect assumption I immediately was presented with tachycardia, breathlessness and shaking via stress hormones as a result of what I see as a direct spiritual attack. You have caused me actual physical harm with that cyber punch, but I believe that was your true intent! 

If I was all of or even just some of what you incorrectly accuse me of then I would not even have gotten involved with this discussion in the first place. I got involved as I was genuinely interested. I am grateful to have taken a lot from this despite the very unfortunate nastiness. 

Thank you for proving my point that humanity is divided and fragmented. I made a big decision in recent times, and you have helped me realise it is the correct one. 

To protect my emotional, spiritual and physical health I shall now leave this thread. Leave me alone

9 hours ago, ScorpionFF said:

@brnbk Thank you for your reply. I had really been enjoying it until the end. ......genuinely interested in all you had to say I found myself as I methodically read through your long reply re reading some lines over and over again to really take it all in. I had made a note of some questions I wanted to ask you, but very unfortunately you completely shut down all possibility of further discussion with;

My brain told me I could not have read that correctly so I read it again, and wow, what a reaction. Despite having earlier ingested a medicine to calm my compromised nervous system down I upon re reading your spiteful (showing malicious ill will and a desire to hurt) and more importantly incorrect assumption I immediately was presented with tachycardia, breathlessness and shaking via stress hormones as a result of what I see as a direct spiritual attack. You have caused me actual physical harm with that cyber punch, but I believe that was your true intent! 

If I was all of or even just some of what you incorrectly accuse me of then I would not even have gotten involved with this discussion in the first place. I got involved as I was genuinely interested. I am grateful to have taken a lot from this despite the very unfortunate nastiness. 

Thank you for proving my point that humanity is divided and fragmented. I made a big decision in recent times, and you have helped me realise it is the correct one. 

To protect my emotional, spiritual and physical health I shall now leave this thread. Leave me alone

Dear Scorpio FF

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to read my thoughts and views seriously  and taking the time to understand them, and enjoy them! I truly appreciate it, and I hope you will ask me the questions that u had  in mind and not hold my 'response' against me, after I explain a bit.
I am not a native English speaker and often speak languages other than English and end up making the mistakes that unfortunately is common among non native-English speakers. While I tend to express my thoughts, fairly legibly, when put in some effort; I tend to be terrible at expressing my feelings, often making grammatical and punctuation mistakes, with comical mistakes or end up coming across as harsh as cruel. My earlier response in the same post would testify to my poor English skills ( I am someone who escape from Asia, and neighbor!  seems to know time it is time for you (U) to 'get you married, In most India or China, gay men do live under socially etc. )  I apologies if my word have hurt you, and I did not mean to suggest that you are a person devoid of empathy, when what I really wanted to say was that you where not being sympathetic to woke issues 

I went and re-read what I wrote, and:

On 2/13/2024 at 7:49 PM, ScorpionFF said:

I personally do not label myself as being woke, does that mean I am devoid of any empathy? Does that mean I am devoid of any knowledge? No one human holds the monopoly on the aforementioned........................

in response to your question, I answered saying, you where devoid of empathy i.e. to say,  you where not understanding the woke philosophy and ideology. I can see how you could have misunderstood what I wrote as an attack, as usually, in present day US terminology and usage, calling a man 'devoid of empathy' is equal to calling him a godless heathen who does not understand the secular religion of compassion and understanding — not of individuals but of causes: social, political etc. I was hoping my response would come across as sharp ( sharp rebuttal - not a sharp rebuke!)  but definitely not spiteful and am saddened that it has been received as such. 

I am sure you would not have had a stress response to what i had said had we been taking in person; the internet and the written text can sometimes be inferior mediums for communicating feelings as it is entirely through words.

This particular miscommunication incident, has made me realize the importance of the ability to save a Draft on this site. I wrote, what i did, and hit send late at night and i think being able to save a Draft, will help us, write with a bit more more of thought to possible misunderstandings. 

2 hours ago, bottom4blktops said:

Its a word that Ron DisHonest Shit Head started denying critical race theory, banning books, closing down drag shows, attacking Disney, 

Vote Blue  

Ron DeSantis does use the word a lot in his daily life. But he didn't start the modern day usage and I highly doubt he knows or cares about the origins of the term in black American culture.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:34 PM, topblkmale said:

Like a lot of slang, 'woke' originated in black American culture (90s rap, hip-hop, R&B, neo-soul). Back then it referred to watching out for 'the white man'. For me, its a bit funny and ironic hearing white liberals use the term as I understand what the original usage of the word was among black folks.

I don’t think it was meant only as “watching out for the White man” so much as just simply being aware of the particular obstacles we encounter when navigating through society. 
But, as with a Black guy taking a knee during the so-called “national anthem” prior to a sporting event, White people came along and turned it into something completely watered-down and not-at-all having anything to do with what it was originally intended for when Blacks did it. 
I can’t speak for the White guys who rant and rage against “wokeness”, but my interpretation of that is they’re ranting against so-called political correctness, as usual. 

On 2/18/2024 at 2:32 PM, topblkmale said:

Ron DeSantis does use the word a lot in his daily life. But he didn't start the modern day usage and I highly doubt he knows or cares about the origins of the term in black American culture.

That is certainly true, and the way he uses it (as an all-purpose pejorative against anyone who disagrees with his position of the day) is a far cry from what it initially meant.

But there are, or can be, multiple meanings to a word (or a symbol, or any other form of communication). "Woke" had one meaning in black American culture. Its meaning shifted somewhat as it was more broadly adopted, but it still meant, in essence, being awake to, and aware of, historic injustices - and for white people, at least, it carried with it kind of a moral obligation to help in the fight to end those injustices.

When the right took it up, it was more as a slur, as I noted with DeSantis. Sadly, the right has a long history of doing that. 

• 2 months later...

Generally speaking it means someone's who's nuts, makes up new rules about everything just for the hell of it, chops off the private parts of humans who should be riding scooters and reading Harry Potter.

And also they like to come onto the internet and pretend that someone "imagined" the concept of woke when they didn't.

13 hours ago, KEVORKIANKEVORKIAN said:

Generally speaking it means someone's who's nuts, makes up new rules about everything just for the hell of it, chops off the private parts of humans who should be riding scooters and reading Harry Potter.

And also they like to come onto the internet and pretend that someone "imagined" the concept of woke when they didn't.

That’s not happening.  You’re being triggered by someone’s bad fanfic.

• Upvote 1