Study shows almost half of gay men bareback

Guest JizzDumpWI

I'm surprised the number is that LOW actually. But it is not popular to admit to bb, much less being willing to take poz loads. So 47% are willing to push past the community viewpoints and admit to it.

PrEP or regular Truvada might be a better way to limit HIV transmission. Lack of "skin on skin" sex keeps too many apart.

I couldn't agree more, although I also think it's kinda conservative, I'd say the percentage of barebackers should be around 60, but anyway, 47% is high enough, close to reality.

I think what mostly makes a a man to have bb sex with other men is that with condoms you feel less pleasure as both, bottom and top, plus being STD free forever is almost impossible.

Even though My MH profile says safe only, and that I am Poz, once we meet up I have been able to bareback every guy; with them asking me to. my personal experience is 100% bareback.

I have to ask, what is point of saying "safe only" when you prefer BB? I do not get guys on MH and other sites that say that yet want BB? If I see safe only on anyone's profile, I move on. Just yesterday a guy on adam emails me for hook up and his profile says safe only and is poz. I told him we aren't a match b/c I only BB. He then tells me he BBs too and for the life of me, I can not figure out why he says safe only.

Please explain.

I think it's about having your cake and eating it, too. I.e.: Enjoying bareback sex and still feeling as part of the mainstream. Just like romantic comedies pressure women into a medieval self-image, the mainstream thinking amongst gays still is that safer sex and condoms are morally good.

Also many guys don't want to be seen as part of the "bareback szene". If one looks around Breedingzone for example, one could the impression that many barebackers are meth-injecting HIV fetishists, and many have made similar experiences in real life, e.g. when a bareback party suddenly turns into a drug session (which was not what you signed up for in the first place). So I do understand the desire to distance oneself from the " hardcore bareback szene". Albeit advocating safer sex is a counterproductive way to do so.

My profiles online say safe only if it has a face pic. This is my hometown, I am a former bartender at popular gay bars. The tips from the customers paid my rent, & if customer is distressed by an honest POZ profile they may go to another bartender, esp if he/she's less busy. I was consistently second highest sales. People I don't even know remember me, + I do not need all my ex's gossiping about how I'm poz & bb("doesn't she any self-respect?") It a small kinda southern city. There are about 30 memebers online on BBRT on a saturday night. 700+ online on A4A, with 10 poz bb. I'd say there are a lot of liars on A4A. I do have have poz & bb profiles with no face pic.

I came across an interesting article that covers a study of gay men's sex habits. I think other barebackers will find this of interests. And considering that half of gay men bareback, I think there are a lot of us out there. Here are some of the highlights from the study for my bareback blog readers:

According to the findings, 81 percent of respondents know HIV is transmitted through “unprotected anal sex, vaginal sex and, less frequently, oral sex.”

About 68 percent are afraid to be infected or re-infected and believe people should be more concerned about the epidemic.

A “vast majority” considers barebacking dangerous and believes barebackers know the risks.

Almost 47 percent of respondents admit to barebacking “always, often or sometimes,” while almost 54 percent say they never have unprotected anal intercourse.

Barucco says respondents have unprotected sex primarily because condoms don’t feel good (almost 85 percent); they act impulsively (74 percent); or they are under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

Vancouver therapist Bill Coleman, who has worked with the HIV community for more than 25 years, adds that people are often not assertive enough to insist on condom use. “Part of it is, ‘if I insist you use a condom, then I’m accusing you of being positive or you are going to think I am positive.’”

http://fuckworker.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/study-almost-half-of-gay-men-bareback.html

I have to say this again. I have already put it elsewhere and it needs to be mentioned here.

This study was of 752 or so men who use Grindr in New York City. Now in any major city you will normally find a higher concentration I gay men and also a higher percentage of those who bareback/have HIV. It's the nature of the gay community.

However I don't see how a study of a tiny proportion of men can constitute an accurate picture. How does this represent all gay men?

At best it's a poor study trying to draw attention to gay men barebacking.

Show me a study of say 100,000 gay men from mixed cities an rural areas around the world, or better 1,000,000 gay men, and not just those who use Grindr and I will then be more willing to believe the results.

Guest Mandevilleguy1
I have to ask, what is point of saying "safe only" when you prefer BB? I do not get guys on MH and other sites that say that yet want BB? If I see safe only on anyone's profile, I move on. Just yesterday a guy on adam emails me for hook up and his profile says safe only and is poz. I told him we aren't a match b/c I only BB. He then tells me he BBs too and for the life of me, I can not figure out why he says safe only.

Please explain.

I concur...that's why I both I am clear that I bareback. Amazing how many tops whose profiles say "safer only" will bb me!