Study shows almost half of gay men bareback

Guest Mandevilleguy1

You are right...on another site I used to say in my profile that I would take loads and was neg. Got alot of flak, mostly from tops. Left that part out and found most tops want to breed me...they just don't want that in my profile!

Could this be related somehow to the fact that there are so many more bottoms than tops (at least on hookup sites)? I mean, do bottoms who insist on safe get fucked at all these days?

I do not think that being bottom skews the results. I do believe that the 47% is an under reported number. I think a little more than half of gay men, if being honest, i will admit that they use condoms SOME of the times. I think a lot of gay men do use condoms regularly but there are times when they do not.

I think a better way to do the study is to have a wider group of men to question (different locations, age range etc etc) and then break the question down by condom use (Everytime, Frequently, Sometimes and never). I think a lot of the respondent will fall into frequently and sometimes followed by never.

Guest JizzDumpWI

For the last 15 years or so I've been part of a group of men who have monthly parties here in SE Wisconsin. Condoms are provided. I probably have seen a dozen used over the 15 years. Party size each month ranges from 30 to 50.

I prefer to bareback but will wear a condom if asked. But have found most safe sex guys have actually asked me to cum in them. I used to know a poz couple in Dallas who were fuckbuds, they'd insist on condoms with me, even at the one party I went to they had they made sure everyone used condoms, I didn't care and always thought that odd.

• 1 month later...

I'd say it is a lot higher than 47%. That's just how many will admit it. I can't even begin to count how many "safe only" guys I've fucked raw over the years. I have one friend who will never fuck raw, and I respect that so I relent for him. We've been friends for to long to ruin it over something that in the end is trivial.

Anyway, a lot of them will only go raw if you say you're neg and recently tested (which for me is true) and some go farther and want to know if you only fuck neg guys. However, once that get that raw dick and/or ass, they could care less. I love thinking about how my cock was up a poz ass the day before (or earlier that day) and is now working to breed their neg ass. If they only knew, lol.

Now, there are some who have insisted on condoms, and if they're really hot, I've gone along because I couldn't find anyone else and wanted to hookup.

I think it also depends on the area. In smaller cities/towns you'll find a more conservative attitude about most things, which is why where I live I'd say most people put "safe/safer only" in their profiles, but in private will go raw.

I think part of it is that many guys have all the best "intentions" of playing safe. I know for me this used to be my modus operandi. I'd meet a guy and when it came down to it, we just never got the condom on. I know I meant to do it before the heat of the moment, but then the "ah, fuck it" thing happens. I have since become more honest with myself. But, had you asked me a few years ago, I would've probably answered that survey as "I only bareback sometimes" when I probably couldn't remember the last time I put on a condom.

• 5 weeks later...

I was discussing this with a friend just yesterday. Guys putting "neg for neg" ads eventually, when climax comes tubling down, feel it and start begging "breed me!" as opposed to 'I want your cum' or 'shoot! shoot in my hole'. While colloquially the meanings are close, examined individually but within context they invite an argument made out to me that a bottom in question wanted my 'babies', et al. and not something more serious along the lines of flat out seroconversion.

Now, the guy I was fucking is one of my regulars, not the guy I was talking to about it yesteday. Last known status just as for myself is neg. And we met on a BB site. We always fucked bare. So within that narrative I can make him a creampie but I won't be able to breed him in the full meaning of the word.

So my point is - the secret may be in the verbal soup of the poll. Some read it straight up, just like a hard core statistitian should. Some allow for stretching of words and meanings outside common sense leaps and bounds. Or shrinkage, to sway it some definite way opposite of streching and shoehorn some personal understanding into it. Without questioning the method behind the poll, I'd say the numbers for gays alone still have to be taken with a grain of salt. I can't imagine someone going back to rubbers after developing a habit for bare ass or cock, but the trend is unmistakable - sex bare is very much accepted, quite popular and addictive. The number shown is only the demographic that has accepted what they are and is unafraid to say out loud to what they are. Keep in mind, that straight couples do make an effort to make a baby or a few, and they also fuck bare. So the number across all sexual denominations is much higher. And I am an addict.

Edited by skinster