FYI - The New "Chaser" Film Is NOT Bug Chaser Sympathetic

rawTOP

• Administrators

Just thought I'd mention that Paul Morris DM'd me on Twitter and said...

In the film, the chaser is presented as rational, intelligent, attractive, well-adjusted. And he loves getting fucked.

I don't know how a filmmaker who seems to have a rather skewed view of bug chasers manages to make a film with a bug chaser like Paul describes, but I guess it is what it is. Hopefully I'll be able to see the film soon and come to my own conclusions.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by GermanFucker

"But one can't make an intellectual argument for bugchasing (i.e. specifically seeking out the virus) that holds generally true and that is valid outside the bugchaser community."

couldnt disagree more...

for the record I am all the things spoken about in this thread - I am intelligent (college educated) - I am worldly with vast life experiences/knowledge and certainly vast experience dealing with HIV/AIDS - I am well built and considered handsome (above average looks) - my self esteem is fine - I am not self loathing nor sucicidal - blah blah blah blah...

to explain away bugchasing by any single explaination is laughable - we are indeed humans and EACH and EVERY one of are sexual drives are as individual as each and every person is - but to exclaim that NO reason for bugchasing is valid beyond the bugchasing community is SHORTSIGHTED at best... and shortsighted that its all about sexual fetish...

so let me - a bonifide self titled "bugchaser" lend a view to just my personal philosphy -

the MALE of every species has an inborn trait to breed and reproduce - correct me if I am wrong but at this point gay men are NOT the largest pool/minority of people who have seroconverted - I believe it is the black female - and yet in life we CELEBRATE unsafe sex practices in the hetro world - they announce pregnancy and we shower them with gifts - parties - celebrations - all because they succeed in planting seed - we reward them for unsafe sex practices - on top of personal presents they are showered with we give them health care - we give them paid leaves of absence from work - it is a time when their families often bequeath them with inheritances - its a HUGE celebration because they got knocked up!

gay men are NOT born absent of the instinct to breed and reproduce - we long to share the celebration of family to - some much stronger than others... I'm not bi - I am not going to have any children in this lifetime - I no longer have any interest in hetrosexual sexual practices - but I do long to reproduce - and I am lucky enough to be gay/vers and want the reverse (or both sides of the experience) I want to breed and reproduce - I want to be bred and reproduce - other STDS are temporary - a little shot here and a little pill there and its all done and over - but HIV/AIDS is the great equalizer - I can carry that seed FOREVER - and IF I can ever manage to get knocked up I can bury my seed into another FOREVER - I would have LOVED to choosen who gets to be my pozDADDY - but as it turns out I am one of those one in a million that is HIGHLY HIGHLY resistant and I have thrown in the towel of selectivity to persue the ultimate goal of conversion and I wont deny ANY poz load - but if I am ever able to convert the ultimate goal doesnt change - I get to become the gifting DADDY - I get to spread my seed and leave my mark on this world PERMANATLY - I may not have children to credit my legacy but I will have my aidspups - my boyz who carry my seed FOR LIFE - FOREVER BOUND - no difference than father and son - MY BOYZ

(just for the record with time I have been able to come to terms with not being able to select my FATHER - MY POZDADDY - at this venture in my life I find no greater joy than giving the opportunity to many to be my sire - each time I offer the temple of my body to a poz source I find GREAT joy in giving them the opportunity to sew their seed PERMANTLY - to provide an opportunity for them to reproduce and realize fatherhood)

so of course - yes many of the other factors that others speak of ring true - of course their is a component of brotherhood - the biohazzard mark of a pig - the Scarlet Letter was indeed an "A" (Aids) - to be marked as a whore - a pig - for all the world to see - see that I am an AIDS PIG - DEFIANCE! I will not live in your world of conservative bullshit while your husband wears panties behind closed doors - I am DEFIANTLY a whore in this world who spits at your hetro judgemental world publically - and I will spread my seed and mark this world permantly just as you do with your snot nosed children - I will build a legacy of my own and I am NOT alone - there is an entire brotherhood - a vast one - to which I belong - which is a beautiful thing - BUT when it all comes down to it - it is the individual need to reproduce/mark that sparks our own destiny to create our own families and legacies -and personally I think the INBORN NEED to spread our seed as the male species rings true further than just the inner circle of bugchasers - WHY is it that soooooo many men take the risk of barebacking when they know the risk - the educated - the smart - the intelligent - the worldly - why is it that soooooooooo many men are willing to take the risk of pregnancy when they dont want children - when they cant afford it - when it will destroy their lives - with women they dont want to marry - ITS AN INBORN NEED TO SEED that ALL MEN have - and that explanation goes leaps and bounds beyond just the inner circle of bugchasers - you need to rethink this *wink

With all due respect, but no. just no.

If I understand your argument correctly, it all hinges on the propagation of genetic code and then you equate the propagation of one's own genetic code with that of a virus. But that equation is specific to the bugchaser community, no non-HIV-fetishist would ever come up with that.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get the first part. If I lived in the US I would soooo be a sperm donor (different rules here). I would love the thought of knowing that my DNA lives on. But it would be MY OWN genetic code, not a parasitic one. And I - obviously - get the joy of natural sex and marking one's territory. But that's just barebacking, not bugchasing, i.e. seeking the virus for the virus' sake. So it's the second part of your argument where you lose me.

the HIV strain that one carries IS part of their DNA marker - their DNA doesnt become nonexistant or independent - it carries their individual strain of the virus with it - they are ONE - and for a gay man who has no intentions of bareing children with a female - it is the only way in which thier DNA can mark their partner PERMANTLY - remember that their is TWO components to chasing - the first of course is the bottom seeking infection - but how do you explain the KNOWING gifter who seeds him - and how do you explain what the bottom does once he seroconverts - WHY is someone willing to infect another with a deadly disease and WHY is someone willing to be infected ? I submise the answer is the need - desire - and INBORN drive to REPRODUCE - just as nature intended - poz sperm in an asshole isnt capable of producing children - but it is certain capable of reproducing - the recipiant (chaser) indeed does carry the individual strain/dna marker of the gifter for life... AND reguardless if you dont believe that each strain is individual it doesnt negate that the load itself marks another person permantly - in non poz hetro affairs with a child - in poz homo affairs with HIV - and actually if you think about it the later is moreso perm - once a woman bares a child she is no longer carrying her husbands DNA - the child born carries the DNA marker for life - but once a gay man seroconverts he will indeed carry that dna marker himself FOREVER

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

When I first heard about this project and saw the trailer, I thought it was going to be a hand-wringing condemnation of sexual excess. I am very pleased to have been wrong about this.

This is definitely worth 15 minutes of your time.

• Moderators

In the end, Zach meets a guy at the party like his sister-in-law hopes he would. This guy clearly likes Zach in a romantic way based on his eagerness and shyness at approaching him even though he has just seen what a load-taking slut Zach is. Zach walks down the street looking at the number an smiling hopefully.

It seems clear to me that we are supposed to understand that Zach has reasons for chasing that are sympathetic (at least as sympathetic as the teenagers we see talking about cutting and forms of self harm). That despite this he is love able and capable of love. It's hard for me to see the film as negative.

• Administrators
It seems clear to me that we are supposed to understand that Zach has reasons for chasing that are sympathetic (at least as sympathetic as the teenagers we see talking about cutting and forms of self harm). That despite this he is love able and capable of love. It's hard for me to see the film as negative.

But isn't the point of what you just described that he'll get over his chasing, settle down with a good guy and be monogamous? That chasing is "just a phase" - not something you aspire to? That's better than how people saw chasers before, but still sorta sees it as undesirable.

Guest JizzDumpWI

Unless we interpret the word "chaser" more broadly... We think of it as chasing HIV. But it could be chasing cum. Or even chasing a relationship.

• Moderators
But isn't the point of what you just described that he'll get over his chasing, settle down with a good guy and be monogamous? That chasing is "just a phase" - not something you aspire to? That's better than how people saw chasers before, but still sorta sees it as undesirable.

Maybe. I saw it as he found a guy who would accept him for the load-taking pig he is.

I love this film and am a big fan of Sam Bardo. The only criticism is that it is not longer. It is so good I want it to go on. He has a new project on Kickstarter. It's not gay but he's worth supporting.

Yeah I agree 100%. I REALLY wanted to see where the story went!