HIV and aviation

iw2bfnb

I've been thinking about doing a mechanics course and working my way towards an aircraft engineers license. Does anyone here happen to know if being poz is a disqualifying factor? I've heard that it's a big no-no but I can't find any solid answers elsewhere, and though I emailed a few airlines HR depts, I only got non-commital waffle answers that were copied straight out of some generic anti-discrimination bullshit.

In the eighties HIV+ guys were excluded from being airline pilots because memory loss and dementia were such a big factor of HIV disease at the time, but when you consider that the UK has (admittedly only recently) said that it's not excluding people with HIV from any nursing or surgery jobs, it seems pretty unlikely that aircraft engineers would fall under the "no" category. I have to point out though that under the 2010 Equality Act in the UK, HIV counts as a disability and you can't be excluded or fired simply on the grounds of having HIV, even though you might not actually be registered as disabled.

Thanks for your reply bearbandit. I did have a look through some UK regulations (CAA) but it just mentions that a person 'must not exercise the privileges of a licensed position if he knows or suspects that his mental or physical condition renders him unfit.' How terribly vague!

I'm fitter and healthier than ever - perhaps even moreso than I was before I became poz, when I wasn't really paying attention to my body. So I can't see it being a problem but it's really frustrating that so little guidance is available out there.

I have been slinging bags for a major US carrier for 28 years, and have been poz for 27 of those years. Never been a question asked of me in all those years- and I know some of my coworkers who are poz as well, some much newer hires- so at least here in the US- I think they worry more about drug addiction or a hernia versus a long term manageable illness

I've been thinking about doing a mechanics course and working my way towards an aircraft engineers license. Does anyone here happen to know if being poz is a disqualifying factor? I've heard that it's a big no-no but I can't find any solid answers elsewhere, and though I emailed a few airlines HR depts, I only got non-commital waffle answers that were copied straight out of some generic anti-discrimination bullshit.

No there is no reason as an aircraft engineer you would be disqualified. Further, there are more than a few HIV+ commercial pilots out there, and it is not a disqualification as long as your treatment doesnt affect your judgement. There are LOTS of HIV+ people in the aviation industry, (flight attendants anyone??) and as long as it doesn't affect your performance you are fine. Modern treatment as rendered HIV a chronic manageable condition, not a deadly one. That being said this ONLY applies to the USA. I dont now the rules for other countries and they may very well vary.

Also I wouldnt even bother asking before you apply. You dont want your name out there as HIV+ before you try. There still can be discrimination. As long as you are healthy and on the appropriate treatment I would broach the subject when you need too.

Here is a very wordy version of the rules from the FAA for US pilots.

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aeromed/medical/hiv.htm

Edited by wood

Also I wouldnt even bother asking before you apply. You dont want your name out there as HIV+ before you try. There still can be discrimination. As long as you are healthy and on the appropriate treatment I would broach the subject when you need too.

This is very true. I would of course disclose it if legally required (not that that is likely to happen) but otherwise it's nobodys business but my own!

In the US they wouldn't even know you were poz until you started using your insurance, and by then it'd be too late. I've been in the airlines for 25+ years, lots of poz guys here. Just do your job really well, amd your immediate supervisors will probably never know. HR will probably know, but they'll keep it to themselves.

Hi NastyRigPig,

I'd be operating under European rather than FAA rules - but then again, ours were more or less copied from yours, so there might not be any major differences in that respect. And I'm fortunate enough to have access to very cheap medication via social healthcare plans in my home country, so insurance is somewhat less of a concern than it would be elsewhere.

I'm going to go ahead and get my ass on the course. I might not ever end up in a hangar but I'll sure as hell get myself on that road!

In the USA, you can *NOT* be disqualified under law because you have HIV. That's the Law!!

err yes, and no, aviation, and other certain careers have whole other sets of rules that don't fall under discrimination laws because they directly involve the safety of others.

Before effective treatment, HIV+ people couldn't do all sorts of jobs, be a pilot, practice certain kinds of medicine, etc. Now the vast majority of those laws and bans have been lifted because there is so little risk. Even with that said those kinds of jobs still reserve the right to revoke a license to practice. For example it would be entirely possible (although extremely unlikely at this point) for HIV to be reinstated as a ban to becoming a commercial pilot, if say it was shown that in the long term drugs that treat HIV cause brain damage and impaired judgement. In that case I have to agree. I don't want to discriminate against anyone but I will be damned if I would want a pilot with brain damage taking me somewhere.

Being medically cleared to be a commercial pilot is someone of an odd process. You can have a "healthy" guy thats 35, smokes two packs a day, and only eats fried food, and as long as there is no immediate threat, he's fit to fly, However, If he has a heart attack he would be lucky to ever return to the cockpit. Epilepsy is another thing that disqualifies a lot of wanna be pilots. One or two seizures can disqualify them very quick.

However to the OP, non of this is really relevant to your case as an aircraft engineer.

I know of a guy who just recently retired from being an air traffic controller. He's around 50 and I think he got poz in the 80s.

Its only essential jobs that are really scrutinized for medical evaluation in aviation, IE pilot. There are PLENTY of HIV+ flight attendants around. A few are friends of mine.