This just in...

riverbtmmn

Hopefully in the right forum:confused:

Thought I'd pass this along... I may help lots of folks with this kind of a push! The CDC has recommended PReP (Truvada) for those who are not infected in order to quell the rising numbers of poz people... Make your own decision, but I'm glad to see this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/health/us-recommends-daily-pill-to-fight-aids-infections.html?action=click&module=Search&region=searchResults&mabReward=relbias%3As&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquery.nytimes.com%2Fsearch%2Fsitesearch%2F%3Faction%3Dclick%26region%3DMasthead%26pgtype%3DHomepage%26module%3DSearchSubmit%26contentCollection%3DHomepage%26t%3Dqry283%23%2Ftruvada&_r=0

Hopefully in the right forum:confused:

Thought I'd pass this along... I may help lots of folks with this kind of a push! The CDC has recommended PReP (Truvada) for those who are not infected in order to quell the rising numbers of poz people... Make your own decision, but I'm glad to see this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/health/us-recommends-daily-pill-to-fight-aids-infections.html?action=click&module=Search&region=searchResults&mabReward=relbias%3As&url=http%3A%2F%2Fquery.nytimes.com%2Fsearch%2Fsitesearch%2F%3Faction%3Dclick%26region%3DMasthead%26pgtype%3DHomepage%26module%3DSearchSubmit%26contentCollection%3DHomepage%26t%3Dqry283%23%2Ftruvada&_r=0

This is REALLY significant, and I am incredibly excited to see that the CDC is taking PrEP seriously!!!

This is REALLY significant, and I am incredibly excited to see that the CDC is taking PrEP seriously!!!

I have just started on PrEP as of this past Sunday. My partner is poz and I am neg. He had a sever nose bleed, and as I was handing him some fresh tissue to try and stop it, he coughed a mouthful of blood that had drained into his throat into my face and mouth as I was talking to him. We ended up in the ER, and since I have recently had dental surgery, they started me on Prep. So far, lots of itching (benadryl helps), some nausea, and one bout of chest pain, but continuing the treatment. Initally it is scheduled for 6 weeks, but may be as long as 6 months depending on what the tests show.

Guest beezee
We ended up in the ER, and since I have recently had dental surgery, they started me on Prep.

You mean PEP nor PrEP. PrEP = pre-exposure prophylaxis, before you are exposed, not after someone coughs blood over you.

We ended up in the ER, and since I have recently had dental surgery, they started me on Prep. So far, lots of itching (benadryl helps), some nausea, and one bout of chest pain, but continuing the treatment.

Are you sure they didn't put you on PEP? PEP and PrEP and different things.

I have just started on PrEP as of this past Sunday. My partner is poz and I am neg. He had a sever nose bleed, and as I was handing him some fresh tissue to try and stop it, he coughed a mouthful of blood that had drained into his throat into my face and mouth as I was talking to him. We ended up in the ER, and since I have recently had dental surgery, they started me on Prep. So far, lots of itching (benadryl helps), some nausea, and one bout of chest pain, but continuing the treatment. Initally it is scheduled for 6 weeks, but may be as long as 6 months depending on what the tests show.

That would be PEP, which is different. PEP is for after exposure, PrEP is before exposure. Still from what I have heard recently there is no real need to be on PEP for six months now, as newer viral load tests can fins an infection much sooner than older antibody tests. With that said you are an ideal candidate for staying on PrEP once your PEP period is over as long as your are HIV-.

Guest JizzDumpWI

If your partner is poz undetectable, and has been for a long time, your chances are close to zero to begin with. PrEP might in fact be the appropriate modality. What exactly do they have you on?

One thing buried in the New Your Times article is that David Duran, author of the original 2012 "Truvada Whores?" piece, has now changes his mind and is now an advocate for PrEP. In March he posted a piece titled "An Evolved Opinion on Truvada."

Too bad his revised opinion hasn't sparked the same amount of attention and discussion as the original.

It was PEP that I started, not PrEp, typing error on my part. My partner has been poz for several years, and his levels have been elevated for some reason lately. They really don't think I have anything to worry about. But they want to be safe since I have had a lot of dental work done the past couple of weeks, and the fact it was a blood exposure. I am a bit concerned, but this was an accidental exposure and could not be avoided. I am not going to stress or worry until we know what, if anything, I'm dealing with.

It was PEP that I started, not PrEp, typing error on my part. My partner has been poz for several years, and his levels have been elevated for some reason lately. They really don't think I have anything to worry about. But they want to be safe since I have had a lot of dental work done the past couple of weeks, and the fact it was a blood exposure. I am a bit concerned, but this was an accidental exposure and could not be avoided. I am not going to stress or worry until we know what, if anything, I'm dealing with.

You'll be fine, but you should probably be on PrEP. Why is your partner not on meds?