Why Do Republicans Hate Gay People?

PozSlime

• Moderators
On 2/15/2023 at 7:38 PM, Chris42 said:

This was the one site I was hoping wouldn't get political. Both sides fucking suck.

Moderator's Note: That's why we keep these discussions in their own area. If you ever see a political thread elsewhere, report it, and it will get moved to the politics area. If you don't want to see these discussions, don't come into the politics area. 

1 hour ago, inmyass262 said:

You’re generalizing the whole right as anti gay. That is not a fair assumption. Yes the believers in the right do for the most part not like the gay community but this also occurs in the left, albeit at a lesser rate but still a significant number. So it’s not fair to take a group that truly does support us such as the Log Cabin Republicans and label them as self hating gays just because the are on the right.

Every single right wing person isn't necessarily anti-gay personally, but they are all willing to support a party whose policies are anti-gay. The GOP platform has been explicitly anti-gay for years. 

5 minutes ago, inmyass262 said:

Arizona 

The population in Arizona is 34% GOP, 30% Democratic, 1% Libertarian, and 35% Other. I will agree the Democratic Party is making in-roads there, but it is hardly a blue state - red-purple is more like it. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, inmyass262 said:

Ok back up your 98% hate is statement.

look man nothing I’m going to say is going to make you wake up tomorrow and be like “fuck,  that guy was right, republicans aren’t so bad”. So I’m not going to debate you because you’re pulling stats out your ass at a much faster rate than I can. You win,  100% of all republicans are gay haten’ red necks and those of us that are gay must hate ourselves, not things like high taxes, communism, ect.

I'm being hyperbolic. It's not intended as a fact. 

Looking at the recent discussion here, it might behoove all of us to think of the topic not as "Why do Republicans hate gay people?" but "Why does the Republican Party hate gay people?"

Because while it's debatable what percentage of the party membership actually hates us, vs. how many tolerate us or maybe even like us somewhat, but are willing to accept our demonization as the cost for getting the other things they want, what is NOT debatable is whether Republican policy, as articulated in platform statements, is anti-gay. It absolutely is, and has been for a very long time.

Not forever, of course; there was a time when the parties saw no reason to have a position on homosexuality because everyone in power agreed it was a bad thing to be suppressed, by prosecution and incarceration if need be. It wasn't until gay liberation became a significant public issue - that is, outside of a few large urban areas, where it was an issue earlier - that the parties started taking a position.

And this occurred at the same time as the first "lurch to the right" of the Republican party, in the very late 1960's and early 1970's. We weren't the driving force - race was - but that's when "cultural issues" became partisan political issues. Southern Democrats who were segregationists started becoming Republicans, Later, Republicans who were more socially conscious started becoming Democrats.

Another factor: At one time, the parties were much more separated by economic and foreign policy issues - that is, people were pro-Labor or pro-Management, pro-Interventionist or pro-Isolationist, and so forth. In a nation where wealth had long been concentrated among the few, the backlash caused by the Great Depression (seen as the fault of greedy industrialists and other rich people, but the impact hitting mostly the working class) had the effect of propelling FDR to power. And FDR (and Truman after him) solidified government policy as firmly pro-labor, with huge support among the working people. The only Republican president between 1933 and 1968 - Eisenhower - wisely did little to disrupt the gains labor had made.

Nixon knew he could only win by cleaving the working-class vote along some other line, and his "Southern Strategy" cynically chose race as the issue. They used race-baiting dog whistles, but everyone got the message, as Lee Atwater's famous 1981 interview revealed. And they've never stopped.

And since it's a technique they know works, the Republicans happily drag it out on any other social issue where they think they can divide Democratic voters - feminism, immigration, LGBT rights. The only problem for them is that society as a whole keeps gradually moving left; most voters now approve of interracial marriage, most voters approve of women working, most voters approve of expanding immigration opportunities, most voters support LGBT rights. So the GOP has to keep manufacturing new social issues - the way they're railing on now about drag queen story time - in order to keep the attention focused on something divisive.

Because when they stop, people go back to looking at the economic issues, and they start to remember that the Republicans are solidly in favor of taxing the working poor more and cutting programs that benefit them, and more than offsetting any such savings with massive tax cuts for business and the rich. And if there's one thing that unifies the left, it's opposition to those kinds of economic policies. If they ever again become the driving force in politics, the GOP can't win elections.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, evilqueerpig said:

That's an expected rationalization but it doesn't answer the question...What has the Republican party done for the 'gay' you?  Meanwhile, the Log Cabin Republican's new Ambassador is a self proclaimed straight homophobic bitch.

I believe @BootmanLA answered that in his opening sentences.  

2 hours ago, evilqueerpig said:

I don't see it.

Because you keep seeing things I'm not saying instead of what I actually write. I never even HINTED that the GOP has ever done anything for gay people. I don't think it has. But you seem determined to paint anyone who disagrees with your radical views as a sellout, a quisling, a collaborator with the enemy.

And to be CLEAR, since that seems to be an issue here: I am not suggesting we work with the GOP in any way, shape or form. I'm pointing out (like many others have) that just because the GOP party platform - for the institution - is anti-gay does not automatically translate to "All Republicans Hate Gays".

It's equally possible - in my view, much more likely - that the majority of the GOP members doesn't "HATE" gays, but they're willing to tolerate the party's anti-gay stance in order to achieve their other goals. Whether it's because they believe the anti-gay stuff doesn't hurt them or their families directly (so why care about it?), or whatever, ACCEPTANCE of something does not equal SUPPORT of something.

As many of my pro-choice friends point out, they themselves are not "pro-abortion" - they would never have one themselves. But they accept that abortions will occur, and don't see it as their place to dictate to others that the governmental position should be what they themselves believe.

I know a number of Republicans who feel the same way about gay issues - they would never discriminate against a gay person themselves, but they accept that others do, and don't see it as their place to dictate to others that the governmental position should be what they themselves believe. That's not necessarily hate. It may be hate on the part of those *actively pushing* the policy, but not necessarily on the part of everyone who accepts the policy for their group.

• Upvote 2

On 2/16/2023 at 8:45 AM, evilqueerpig said:

The Log Cabin Republicans are selfhating gays!

Generally true.

I lived in DC most of my adult live.  I had an ex who was a member of the LCR and was invited to a couple of LCR social events (mostly because the Dean Emeritus of the LCR group in DC suggested to my ex that I be invited).

In DC most of members of the local LCR group are self-hating because they are Catholic or ex-Catholic men who are also traditionally religious (so not necessarily deeply religious, although they can be, but especially adhere to old Catholic theology for the most part).  Then at some point most of them fell in love with libertarianism vis a vis Ayn Rand, although their libertarianism isn't very social libertarian with respect to themselves (so while they appear to be sexually liberated, they are mentally chained to "sin" for the most part).  They can handle conservative economics and conservative society but because of their religious orientation they tend to not accept themselves as sexual individuals.  They also are incapable to criticizing the R party at almost any time for almost any reason (LCR's who criticize the R Party have historically been ousted).  At one gathering an openly Gay member of the CATO Institute gently pointed out some of these shortcomings.

Edited by fuckholedc
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Because you keep seeing things I'm not saying instead of what I actually write. I never even HINTED that the GOP has ever done anything for gay people. I don't think it has. But you seem determined to paint anyone who disagrees with your radical views as a sellout, a quisling, a collaborator with the enemy.

And to be CLEAR, since that seems to be an issue here: I am not suggesting we work with the GOP in any way, shape or form. I'm pointing out (like many others have) that just because the GOP party platform - for the institution - is anti-gay does not automatically translate to "All Republicans Hate Gays".

It's equally possible - in my view, much more likely - that the majority of the GOP members doesn't "HATE" gays, but they're willing to tolerate the party's anti-gay stance in order to achieve their other goals. Whether it's because they believe the anti-gay stuff doesn't hurt them or their families directly (so why care about it?), or whatever, ACCEPTANCE of something does not equal SUPPORT of something.

As many of my pro-choice friends point out, they themselves are not "pro-abortion" - they would never have one themselves. But they accept that abortions will occur, and don't see it as their place to dictate to others that the governmental position should be what they themselves believe.

I know a number of Republicans who feel the same way about gay issues - they would never discriminate against a gay person themselves, but they accept that others do, and don't see it as their place to dictate to others that the governmental position should be what they themselves believe. That's not necessarily hate. It may be hate on the part of those *actively pushing* the policy, but not necessarily on the part of everyone who accepts the policy for their group.

Tolerance of hatred is no excuse and I own being a Radical QUEER.  There was a time when men like myself identified as Radical Fairies, which I find as offensive as the other 'f' word.  Meanwhile, can you excuse your last Veep who as Governor, diverted HIV/AIDS funding to "Pray the Gay Away" groups?  I'll continue to point out hypocrisy wherever I see it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

On 2/18/2023 at 3:29 PM, evilqueerpig said:

Tolerance of hatred is no excuse and I own being a Radical QUEER.  There was a time when men like myself identified as Radical Fairies, which I find as offensive as the other 'f' word.  Meanwhile, can you excuse your last Veep who as Governor, diverted HIV/AIDS funding to "Pray the Gay Away" groups?  I'll continue to point out hypocrisy wherever I see it.

"My" last Veep?

"I" don't have a "Veep" of my own, last I checked - could someone verify that for me, please. But since the only vice-president in recent years to have served as a state governor is Mike Pence, I will kindly ask you NOT to refer to him as "my" anything. I haven't voted for or supported a Republican for ANYTHING in decades, and you really, really, SERIOUSLY need to learn to read what I write and stop inferring ignorant takes on it, because you're just embarrassing yourself at this point.

But by all means, point out hypocrisy. I do as well. And feel free to call yourself gay, queer, radical queer, or a little teapot, short and stout, for all I care. You're free to self-identify as you wish. What you're not free to do is to pretend I said something that I did not, and have it go unchallenged. 

• Upvote 2

Well I am going to stick my newly tattooed ass out there to be kicked hard. In reading through the threads what stands out to me are a few things that resonate:

* there are people out here that believe you can't be gay or pro LGBTQ/gay and republican at the same time

* some people here hate republicans assuming one can't be gay/LGBTQ & republican at the same time

* some people here think it can only be all or nothing, if you are republican you have to hate gays and anything LGBTQ

* that any self respecting non republican will hate republicans gay or otherwise

The questions in my mind are:

* why would any person regardless of political affiliation HATE any other person regardless of sexual orientation because of party affiliation esspecially LGBTQ people of a party they disagree with

* why do some people believe it is all or nothing when it comes to your vote or party, I rarely buy into anything on 100% acceptance

* why is the word hate so flippantly used, it is a strong word--why not use dislike, your kids or friends do things you dislike but do you hate them????

I am proud to be considered a republican, I am open and proud to be gay, I don't agree with everything that party represents just as I don't agree with everything other parties represent.

Benjamin Franklin put it best "all cats are grey in the dark".

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2016 at 7:22 AM, PozSlime said:

Why do conservatives/Republicans hate gay people in America? I've heard conservative Americans actually admit they want to kill all gay people.

Why do conservatives hate gay people worldwide.

Conservative Brits can often be as anti-gay as Republican Americans. A conservative bigot is a conservative bigot, regardless of where they live.

Why do American Republican politicians pass homophobic, anti-gay, bigoted laws aimed at destroying freedom of gay people.

North Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Arizona, South Carolina for example have recently passed some very alarming anti-gay bigoted laws against gay people. Anti-TG, anti marriage equality, anti gay employment.

I'm hoping that some of our conservative posters can elaborate.

Explain conservative Republican hatred for gay people.

Hate is an AmeriCON 'value'.

just so you know that's not true for all republicans. yes there are some but not all. just like there are some democrats who are that way too but not a lot. it isnt that those states hate lgbt people. there are a lot of people who are saying they are like us just because they think it is the new cool thing to be something even if they arent. i had some stuff happen to me with some people pretending they were gay then turning out they werent and just said they were to be "cool". it was upsetting and really hurt because i thought i could finally be myself and then they said no you're weird. so yeah some people are rude but not all are

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1