PReP Ignorance

swansub

On 6/9/2017 at 7:37 AM, mort said:

The last point is you may see the stats which claim protects 99% so on again this is untrue it comes down to your health and what you are interacting with this is the problem with trials in some countries US is awful for it they are pushing agenders

I think if you were really in the medical field, you'd understand that is a 99% reduction in your odds of contracting HIV. For a bottom, according to the CDC, your base odds of contracting HIV with a partner of unknown status are 1.43% per act. PrEP, at 99% effectiveness, reduces that to 0.0143%. That's a negligible risk. If PrEP protects at 96% -- you missed a dose or two -- that's still 0.0572% chance -- which is ridiculously low.

In comparison to condoms, a study last year determined self-reported condoms use stops 7 out of every 10 infections. Documented PrEP use stops 8.5 out of every 10... and that was with the earlier, lower effectiveness levels averaged between users and non-users. It's hight than that now.

PrEP is an amazing advance. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, subbytch said:

I think if you were really in the medical field...

I also think if he was really in the medical field he'd be educated enough to know how to form sentences with punctuation, and wouldn't spell agenda "agender."

• Upvote 2

On 6/5/2017 at 4:02 PM, BBinBoundBrook said:

I had never heard of it until I came here and started seeing it. I'm still not sure how to go about asking my doctor for some really. I'm not even sure he'll let me have it.

Tell your doctor you want to go on it because you are having unprotected sex. If he says no, FIND A NEW DOCtOR!  Its your health and they need to listen to you!  Also, its easier to speak to an Infectious Disease Doctor. They deal with this every day.  Look for someone in your area.  My guess is where you are located there should be plenty. In areas that aren't so "suburban" or "City" it may be more difficult.  In addition, check with the company that makes the drug as they may have coupons or co-pay cards to make it easier to afford.  I pay 0 copay since I have a co-pay card and I've hit my deductible for the year. BH

Edited by bihairy
added information.
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 6811283 said:

I also think if he was really in the medical field he'd be educated enough to know how to form sentences with punctuation, and wouldn't spell agenda "agender."

English is not my first language I come from Thailand and moved to UK less than 1 year ago also my job in Thailand was working tropical medicine I was 1 of the qualified staff members that worked on patients with Mers also have worked with many hiv/aids charities also seen many patients. (we did trials for hiv medications even prep)

Westerner people specially US people listen to a lot of rubbish with false stats because it's all about money.

To throw around stats without peoples medical history show's that you have no understanding of the field as I stated before peoples health state can have effect on how a drug will work also as i said every drug has negatives which is why some you have to be monitored carefully this is one of those drugs becuase it has serious side effects.

Using the excuse now about long term it's cheaper to give people prep rather then treat hiv is poor excuse people should be responsable and regarding condom stats they are misleading because again you can change them to suit whatever you are pitching most problems with condoms is people not using them correctly.

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, mort said:

English is not my first language...

I apologize -- I should not have made a comment about your English. 

Otherwise, I stand by my position. 

"...every drug has negatives which is why some you have to be monitored carefully this is one of those drugs becuase it has serious side effects."

Aspirin has serious side effects, too. We take advantage of its benefits and weigh the potential side effects in the balance. Truvada for PrEP is no different -- and indeed no more dangerous than aspirin.

http://www.hivplusmag.com/prevention/2016/1/06/new-study-shows-prep-safe-aspirin

"Using the excuse now about long term it's cheaper to give people prep rather then treat hiv is poor excuse people should be responsable..."

People should be responsible -- yes. But, after 35 years of telling people to use condoms, they are still getting HIV by the millions. Do we just let them get infected because they weren't "responsible"? If someone recognizes he is not able to maintain perfect condom compliance and is at risk of contracting HIV, using PrEP is a responsible choice. 

"To throw around stats without peoples medical history show's that you have no understanding of the field as I stated before peoples health state can have effect on how a drug will work..."

Of course an individual's medical history and health state play a role, and a prescriber will take these into account when deciding if PrEP is appropriate for that individual. But the statistics about safety and efficacy are aggregate and take into account test subjects with many different backgrounds and conditions. 

"...most problems with condoms is people not using them correctly."

Exactly. And this despite 35+ years of attempts to teach people how to use condoms .

Condoms work well for some individuals who are able to use them correctly and consistently. They should by all means continue to do so. But as a public health measure to end the epidemic, they have plainly failed. You can continue to repeat the same thing -- shouting ever louder about condoms -- and expect a different result. Or you can take advantage of the new tools at our disposal.

• Upvote 7

On 6/8/2017 at 8:53 AM, mort said:

Some people need a reality check not everyone can take prep like a lot of drugs it can have nasty effects a few of my friends tried it and a bunch of them now have serious health problems

this drug is dangerous its not as simple as take it and you are protected

Tell him you need Truvada/Prep. Do the research so that if he doesn't know about it you can educate him. Its sad that in many places we still need to do it, but it is worth it. If he tries to give you any of that, well you should use condoms instead, tell him how you've tried to use condoms but that often, in the moment you haven't used them and that PrEP helps protect against those situations which you are already experiencing and that it is much better to prevent HIV than to have to treat it. 

If all else fails and he tries to talk you out of it, say: "If you refuse to approve PrEP for me and I contract HIV as a result of your refusal to prescribe a drug that could have prevented it when I told you I was unable to use condoms 100% of the time, I will sue you for malpractice." Then get your scrip and change doctors cause your doctor is worthless.

On 6/8/2017 at 8:53 AM, mort said:

Some people need a reality check not everyone can take prep like a lot of drugs it can have nasty effects a few of my friends tried it and a bunch of them now have serious health problems

this drug is dangerous its not as simple as take it and you are protected

Most of my friends are on it. One person had serious complications (and that person wasn't taking tenovir as prep but as a HIV treatment) with the liver side-effect but those effects weren't permanent and his doctor found a different HIV med that he could take.

Also you seriously undermine your credibility when you say things like: "a few of my friends tried it and a bunch of them now have serious health problems". Maybe you are not a native english speaker, but few, is not a lot, it usually means 3, ie...a couple, a few, some, many... in the progression. So a "bunch" of a "few" is what, 2 at most? I personally know seven people taking prep and none of them have had serious side effects. If you are going to post info, post specifics not bullshit contradictory shit like a bunch of the few. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Rillion said:

Most of my friends are on it. One person had serious complications (and that person wasn't taking tenovir as prep but as a HIV treatment) with the liver side-effect but those effects weren't permanent and his doctor found a different HIV med that he could take.

Also you seriously undermine your credibility when you say things like: "a few of my friends tried it and a bunch of them now have serious health problems". Maybe you are not a native english speaker, but few, is not a lot, it usually means 3, ie...a couple, a few, some, many... in the progression. So a "bunch" of a "few" is what, 2 at most? I personally know seven people taking prep and none of them have had serious side effects. If you are going to post info, post specifics not bullshit contradictory shit like a bunch of the few. 

Well said Rillion. No reps left to give you, sorry. You spoke well there.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Leatherman667 said:

It's a pity its not more readily available in countries outside the US!

it is but the cost is very high.

A drug like this if to be used by masses needs to be generic but that wont happen due to western greed

6 hours ago, Leatherman667 said:

Very true. Wonder how much it is statesside.

In the US, the "sticker price" for PrEP is astronomically high -- like $1200/month. But almost no one pays that. Many insurance policies cover it, and the manufacturer (however evil they might be) provides it free to uninsured people below a certain income. It's possible to get PrEP affordably, it just takes some research.

As for generics, the US FDA (drug regulatory agency) just approved a generic version of Truvada. It will still take several more steps for it to come to market at an affordable price, but things are slowly heading in that direction.

In the meantime, you can order PrEP online from reputable generic makers in non-Western countries, like India. It has been tested and found to be safe and genuine by users' groups in the West. See, for example, iwantprepnow.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 8:11 PM, mort said:

English is not my first language I come from Thailand and moved to UK less than 1 year ago also my job in Thailand was working tropical medicine I was 1 of the qualified staff members that worked on patients with Mers also have worked with many hiv/aids charities also seen many patients. (we did trials for hiv medications even prep

Which still doesn't change the fact you've demonstrated no knowledge of medicine and efficacy in relation to Truvada for PrEP. 

Westerner people specially US people listen to a lot of rubbish with false stats because it's all about money.

No false stats have been presented here. We -- me -- questioned your self-stated expertise in this subject area. Your comments are at odds with not only published research, but the actual drop in new HIV infections being reported in cities where PrEP and viral suppression have been implemented. 

To throw around stats without peoples medical history show's that you have no understanding of the field as I stated before peoples health state can have effect on how a drug will work also as i said every drug has negatives which is why some you have to be monitored carefully this is one of those drugs becuase it has serious side effects

The side effects for Truvada as PrEP are well known. Mild to non-existent in 98% of people who take the medication. In the remaining 2%, the side effects pass after the drug is stopped and restarted. In no case do they endure after a person stops taking PrEP.

Using the excuse now about long term it's cheaper to give people prep rather then treat hiv is poor excuse people should be responsable and regarding condom stats they are misleading because again you can change them to suit whatever you are pitching most problems with condoms is people not using them correctly.

It's a simple fact that it is cheaper to prevent HIV than to treat it, whether that prevention involves condoms, Truvada or both. And Truvada is still cheaper than treating HIV. Condom use fell off years ago, years before PrEP became available. Hell, this website is dedicated to people who want to fuck without condoms. Condoms are effective at preventing 7 out of 10 HIV infections. PrEP prevents 8.6 out of every 10. That's a massive difference. 

If people want to get HIV, that is on them. If people want to get bred -and- have less of a chance of getting HIV than they would if they'd used a condom, PrEP is the way to go.

Edited by subbytch
  • Downvote 1