Is it safe to fuck other undetectable guys and you're undetectable?

Yeah that's totally safe. There's never been a documented case of someone converting from unprotected sex with an undetectable partner. On top of that if you're already on meds and undetectable then any new strains of HIV introduced to your body won't be able to infect you either (it's the same principle as PrEP, essentially).

32 minutes ago, negbtm said:

Yeah that's totally safe. There's never been a documented case of someone converting from unprotected sex with an undetectable partner. On top of that if you're already on meds and undetectable then any new strains of HIV introduced to your body won't be able to infect you either (it's the same principle as PrEP, essentially).

I get the fact that there is almost no chance of an undetectable person transmitting HIV to the receptive or penetrative partner and it's even lower if the HIV negative partner is on PreP. However, my question is speaking to the possibility of re-infection or even a super-infection of one HIV strain that the meds are not covering and the possibility of the resistance to the medication growing. 

You could get infected by a different strain, like HIV-2 when you already have HIV-1, or with a different subgroup of either of those, but that's where the meds you're already on acting the same way as PrEP comes in. Your cells can technically still be infected when you're on PrEP, but the virus can't replicate and then your body can clear it. The meds your already on will act the same way for any new strains entering your body. 

• 3 months later...
On 24/08/2017 at 8:53 AM, negbtm said:

On 24/08/2017 at 9:54 AM, negbtm said:

You could get infected by a different strain, like HIV-2 when you already have HIV-1, or with a different subgroup of either of those, but that's where the meds you're already on acting the same way as PrEP comes in. Your cells can technically still be infected when you're on PrEP, but the virus can't replicate and then your body can clear it. The meds your already on will act the same way for any new strains entering your body. 

THANK YOU "negbtm" ...you put it so well and answered the question .... 

As I always say to many who ask, a HIV+ man on meds, who is undetectable is safer than so many who we meet and claim that they are negative but haven't been tested in decades or ever, but live an active sex-life...

• Upvote 2

Guest descartes70817
10 hours ago, FFun2BB said:

THANK YOU "negbtm" ...you put it so well and answered the question .... 

As I always say to many who ask, a HIV+ man on meds, who is undetectable is safer than so many who we meet and claim that they are negative but haven't been tested in decades or ever, but live an active sex-life...

It must be pointed out that the partner of an HIV+ man on meds is safe from him, but our man on meds might be at risk from his partners, which is why my doctor is pressing me to go on PrEP now my CD4 level is above 200 and my viral load stays stubbornly detectable but very much in the safe zone (54 in June). I mostly only fuck other undetectable guys but recently I had a bunch of neg guys who wanted me to fuck them bareback in full knowledge of my status, so maybe more guys are getting educated.