Breaking News: Doxycycline After Sex Reduces STIs (DoxyPEP)

On 7/6/2022 at 8:23 AM, Oldercumslut said:

We aren’t talking everyday use here, just after exposure.

Lets be real: we are all whores on here. We are literally ALWAYS being exposed to STI's given the number of sexual partners we all have.

I think for every 100 guys I fuck I probably get something like gono or chlamydia. I think it would just be a bad idea for people to take antibiotics on a regular basis instead of simply waiting to get an STI before having it treated with an appropriate dose intended to kill the infection.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, 120DaysofSodom said:

I think it would be better to wait to get an actual STI before taking medication than to just always be taking antibiotics because your body will build up resistance to those antibiotics and then they wont work for you in the future.

It isn't your body that builds up a resistance, it is the actual STIs that build up resistance to the medication. But I agree: only take/get them when you're sure you've got something.

• Upvote 3

On 7/12/2022 at 9:10 AM, 120DaysofSodom said:

I think it would be better to wait to get an actual STI before taking medication

I agree.  Which is why I get tested monthly instead of quarterly.  The way I see it, the sooner the bugs are detected, the sooner they can be treated.  Take the meds, ditch the bug, and keep living our lives until the next one comes along.

• Upvote 1

• rawTOP featured this topic
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I started Doxy PEP on recommendation from my doctor here in Washington, DC.  I get tested every 3-4 months and get an STI maybe every other year. But, my doctor recommended it for me several months after this year's Mid-Atlantic Leather (MAL).

MAL is a huge leather, sex-filled event held in DC every year. And every year my doctor, who has a large gay patient base, sees PLENTY of STIs in the weeks following MAL. However, Doxy PEP was available at MAL this year for all attendees for free and those guys took advantage of it. And this year, my doctor saw no STIs like he usually does from MAL attendees. ZERO. ZILCH. 

So far, good enough for me!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

DoxyPEP is a great tool for fighting STIs and I think all of us who are sexually active should be on it. I am.

One quick update: The latest science shows DoxyPEP as only 2% effective in preventing Gonorrhea and not in the 40%-50% range as indicated by the earlier research. Its efficacy for other bacterial infections (Syphilis, Chlamydia, etc.) is unchanged.

I just cleared a G infection and I'd been only taking up to two doses a week as I'd been incorrectly told it was the max allowed. That is incorrect, take it whenever you need to! I'm following the new guidance now and will see if I get another G infection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 9:29 AM, blackrobe said:

DoxyPEP is a great tool for fighting STIs and I think all of us who are sexually active should be on it. I am.

One quick update: The latest science shows DoxyPEP as only 2% effective in preventing Gonorrhea and not in the 40%-50% range as indicated by the earlier research. Its efficacy for other bacterial infections (Syphilis, Chlamydia, etc.) is unchanged.

I just cleared a G infection and I'd been only taking up to two doses a week as I'd been incorrectly told it was the max allowed. That is incorrect, take it whenever you need to! I'm following the new guidance now and will see if I get another G infection.

Where's the reference for the Gonorrhea updated efficacy? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rawfuckr said:

Where's the reference for the Gonorrhea updated efficacy? 

I got the update from a clinician at the University of Washington Sexual Health Clinic who was privy to their own internal tracking data. There are published studies reporting that DoxyPEP isn't as effective against G as originally thought:

[think before following links] https://www.aidsmap.com/news/mar-2024/full-analysis-french-sti-study-dashes-hopes-gonorrhoea-vaccine

[think before following links] https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2211934

[think before following links] https://www.healio.com/news/infectious-disease/20240304/new-evidence-seals-the-case-for-doxypep-as-sti-prevention-tool

The analysis in the studies addressing the big there bacterial STIs (syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea) are done together as a group, but the more different studies drill down on G separately, the less effective DoxyPEP is beginning to look for it. The original large scale study was conducted in Seattle and San Francisco and the UW was involved in it's execution, so I'm inclined to believe what I'm hearing from the UW clinicians on the front lines. Each of the studies reported on above say DoxyPEP is much less effective, or not at all effective, in reducing incidence rates for gonorrhea. Regarding the later:

In one study, Hyman Scott, MD, MPH, medical director of clinical research at Bridge HIV in San Francisco, and colleagues tested doxy-PEP among more than 1,200 PrEP users at a city clinic who received doxycycline for at least 30 days and compared their rates of STIs with those of clients who did not receive it. Both groups were racially and ethnically diverse and most were cisgender gay men.

Compared with the 6 months before the intervention, there was a 58% decrease in any STIs with doxy-PEP. This included a 67% decrease in chlamydia and a 78% decrease in syphilis, but no statistically significant decrease in gonorrhea, Scott and colleagues reported.

The Healio article linked above has more context on the observations in SF. The pull quote from one of the study authors (Luetkemeyer) is “It’s not great for gonorrhea, we need better strategies.”