More DeSantis agenda

tallslenderguy

For those who think/argue that DeSantis' recent "don't say gay" move was just to protect lil kids from the realities of human sexuality, he's now looking to assert control in FL state higher education as well by banning "exploration" courses (because education should never involve exploring stuff like theories?).  This guy has presidential aspirations, and his hair is oranger than Trumps.  Here's an excerpt from  Florida hb0999-00

"471  (c) General education core courses may not suppress or

472  distort significant historical events or include a curriculum

473  that teaches identity politics, such as Critical Race Theory, or

474  defines American history as contrary to the creation of a new

475  nation based on universal principles stated in the Declaration of Independence."

[think before following links] https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2023/999/BillText/Filed/PDF

The implication that teaching students about topics like racism in America, past and present, is a "distort[ion] [of] significant historical events," and is education "contrary to the creation of a new nation based on universal principles stated in the Declaration of Independence," seems contrary to the principles stated in the Declaration of Independence. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness"

That "declaration" was made July 4, 1776, and yet contrary to the Declaration of Independence, America had slavery for almost 100 years after the above declaration was written/made, women were not included, and gays were not part of the "instituted among Men."  "Men" at that time, certainly did not mean "people," it was a pretty exclusive group. America's culture and laws were built on that exclusivity and there are those like DeSantis who would like to devolve America, to "make America grate again." 

"Fox News has mentioned “critical race theory” 1,300 times in less than four months. Why? Because critical race theory (CRT) has become a new bogeyman for people unwilling to acknowledge our country’s racist history and how it impacts the present.

To understand why CRT has become such a flash point in the culture, it is important to understand what it is and what it is not. Opponents fear that CRT admonishes all white people for being oppressors while classifying all Black people as hopelessly oppressed victims. These fears have spurred school boards and state legislatures from Tennessee to Idaho to ban teachings about racism in classrooms. However, there is a fundamental problem: these narratives about CRT are gross exaggerations of the theoretical framework. The broad brush that is being applied to CRT is puzzling to academics, including some of the scholars who coined and advanced the framework"

[think before following links] https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2021/07/02/why-are-states-banning-critical-race-theory/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, topblkmale said:

I'm assuming you support teaching Critical Race Theory. ☑️

Very curious to know why. 

i support teaching "critical" thinking on any topic as part of the educational process vs programing whitewashed 'history' in order to perpetuate an exclusive system. i see it as an important part of social evolution, of working towards true, inclusive, equality.  i think it's important that we never refuse to look, investigate the foundations on which society and culture are built. i cannot see how else we can identify, with an attitude towards correcting, flaws and issues that do not "promote the general welfare." 

i'm a gay guy who grew up in a culture that excluded and vilified me because of who and how i am. But i could hide being gay, and i did for a long time... i built and lived in the proverbial closet. i see that people cannot hide the color of their skin, so there is no place to hide from racism.  Not that hiding is a solution, just a survival mechanism. But what survives? Conformity? Acquiesce?

i'm also convinced that much of racism operates under the radar, that it's subtle and unconscious. To me, that would be one of the more important reasons for ongoing scrutiny... if we stop looking, we will stop seeing. If we stop seeing, we will not be able to grow and change humanity, well end up continuing to harm and eventually become extinct. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, tallslenderguy said:

i support teaching "critical" thinking on any topic as part of the educational process vs programing whitewashed 'history' in order to perpetuate an exclusive system.

Will you PLEASE  move to Florida and run for Governor ????????????????????  I'll help in every way I can ..... 

• Like 3

The next logical step is removing the American Civil War from the history books and replacing it with the war of northern aggression. Soon the only thing allowed in curriculums will be the tiny minority of bible passages that every evangelical agrees with. When will he propose changing the state motto to "y'all come to where ignorance is bliss"?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, NWUSHorny said:

The next logical step is removing the American Civil War from the history books and replacing it with the war of northern aggression. Soon the only thing allowed in curriculums will be the tiny minority of bible passages that every evangelical agrees with. When will he propose changing the state motto to "y'all come to where ignorance is bliss"?

While the name hasn't changed, southern US history textbooks (and by extension, those used in much of the United States) papered over "slavery as the root cause of the Civil War" for decades. Widely used and approved high school history textbooks taught concepts like "the slaves loved and depended on their masters for protection" and "slavery taught many slaves skills and trades they were able to use to better themselves" and other apologetic horseshit.

And when it comes to the war itself, it was frequently painted as due to some vague concept of "state's rights". What right was in question, for the states? The right of the state's residents to own slaves. What right were the Confederate states most worried about losing? The right to own slaves. What rationale did almost every southern state cite, in their declarations of secession, as the cause for removing themselves from the Union? Preservation of white supremacy and the right to own slaves.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:07 AM, topblkmale said:

I support the teaching of Critical Race Theory - AS IT IS PROPERLY DEFINED AND UNDERSTOOD, which means not in any way, shape or form in the caricature presented by GOP idiots and mouth-breathing "conservative" shitheads - in the setting in which it is intended - that is, advanced collegiate courses and law schools.

"Critical Race Theory" - again, understood properly - has NEVER been taught in elementary or secondary schools. But opportunistic GOP/conservative divisive operators - like most GOP politicians today - have managed to convince poorly educated Americans that "CRT" is something else entirely AND that it is being used to brainwash young minds. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

These politicians attempt to make "critical" mean "criticizing" - and then further twist the phrase to suggest that CRT means teaching white  students to be critical of, and ashamed of, their whiteness. "Critical", in this case, means "essential" - as in "Critical Care Unit" in a hospital, or as in "It is critical to eat food regularly if you don't want to die of starvation." And in this case, the phrase, as a whole, means that studying the role of race in American history is critical - that is, essential - to understanding almost any problem in contemporary culture - that racism, historically speaking, underlies so much of what's wrong with America.

That doesn't mean "hate white people." It means "Understand what was done in the past, and how those effects linger in hundreds of ways today, often unseen," so that we can solve those problems at their root and not just at the symptomatic level.

That sort of understanding, of course, would doom the prospects of the Republican Party, so it's no surprise that they're willing to malign and misrepresent CRT as a threat to children. "Think of the children!" is their go-to method of distorting reality on almost every social issue there is.

• Upvote 4

Of course, I'll be accused of inflammatory behavior but I refuse to sit idly by while Right Wing zealots work to undermine democracy and make this a GQP Taliban,  To the QUEER community, be prepared to rise up again for Stonewall 2.0 may be upon us.  My age and health might prevent me from being an active participant but my BIG MOUTH will not be silenced.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, evilqueerpig said:

Of course, I'll be accused of inflammatory behavior but I refuse to sit idly by while Right Wing zealots work to undermine democracy and make this a GQP Taliban,  To the QUEER community, be prepared to rise up again for Stonewall 2.0 may be upon us.  My age and health might prevent me from being an active participant but my BIG MOUTH will not be silenced.

EQP man it would be shocking if you sat idly by.  I think there are more of us concerned about extreme behaviors on either end of the political spectrum.  Those extremes seem to be feeding each other while many of us doing what we can to attenuate those extremes.  

Perhaps it is my age.  I've seen our social pendulum swing in three quarters of a century.  In recent times I still see polling numbers spouted which seem typically off by more points than their "margin of error".  (I think @BootmanLA has a more complete history on stuff like this; I believe because the issues are more pronounced in the south.)

As far as those of us in this conversation; we seem to be aligned with the same end.  And it will take many paths to get there (wherever there turns out to be),

On 2/26/2023 at 11:07 AM, topblkmale said:

I support teaching critical race theory as well, it presents a different perspective on the lives of people. How certain ideas are ingrained into laws and the very foundations of American society. 
It’s not gospel nor is it meant to shame anyone, it’s to present a problem that should be addressed and not swept under a rug.  It can be taught just like how the earth is round and people are allowed to disagree or ignore it much like the flat earthers do.

I also don’t agree with the recent censorship of Ian Flemming’s James Bond novels. Yes older novels have problematic themes and language but you don’t cleanse just because it makes you uncomfortable, learn from people’s ignorance and learn to be better 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2023 at 10:58 AM, tallslenderguy said:

If i moved to Florida, it would primarily be because i'd wanna be regularly seeded by You, and all that that means.

Indeed, the ONLY reason I would move to Florida would be to be seeded by you two...

Extreme behaviors on either end of the political spectrum?  It's the GQP who is now to the Right of Atilla The Hun when the Left hasn't even budged, except for me.

I'm now 63 1/2 years old and I've live in the north and the south and the issues have always been pronounced for me.

Just waiting for the so called gay repugs to try and rationalize this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/26/2023 at 11:34 AM, tallslenderguy said:

that it's subtle and unconscious

I am reminded of an interview of that cop's mother in Minneapolis when Mr. Floyd was so brutally murdered.  

This homely old woman, long, dirty, stringy long hair, unkempt clothing - the very portrait of trash - spent the entire interview crying about how wonderful her son is, what is she going to do now that he's going to the clink, on and on and on - entirely about her miserable little tiny life.  And, breathtakingly, not one syllable of mention - let alone apology - to the Floyd family.  It was all about the wretched old crone's loss, and nothing at all about the filth he was raised with.  It never even occurred to her that her White Privilege-encrusted son was so besotted with his assumed and taught hatreds, it never ended her traileresque mind to offer a whisper of condolences to the family of the man her son murdered in ice-cold blood.  Simply breathtaking.  

Point: The depravity of White Privilege - carefully taught from generation to generation, has sunk into the minds of Caucasian Americans to the extent that without the conscious effort to pull this foul weed of racism out by the roots, actually do something to make amends, this curse - brought upon this nation by our Caucasian forebears - may very well cause it's destruction.  The depravity of White Privilege has soaked into the so-called "religious" institutions they cling to, the social construct of their neighborhoods, their friends and associates, into everything.  Whether they live in mansions or dirt-floored trailers, it's all of a kind - the same anti-human filth that this country was built (literally) upon. 

DeathSantis is so bold about perpetuating this crucial, critical fault, he actually is (apparently) considering a run for President, his campaign based not on ameliorating the problem, but tripling down on the worst of the worst.  Cheeto-head is not even close to intelligent enough to do that, but DS is.  We must vote while we still can,  

• Like 3
  • Downvote 2