Truvada As A "morning After" Pill?

Belfast-Bottom

Hey guys,

I'm a neg bottom living in the U.K.who would go on prep if it were available on the NHS.  It's not available in my region and with health service cuts it is unlikely to be any time soon.

I investigated online purchase of Truvada which would be expensive if taken daily.  A guy in London tells me there is evidence that a 2-3 day course of Truvada around a planned bareback session is effective at greatly reducing the risk of infection.  I don't have a steady partner so being able to take 3 or 4 pills on the day of a BB session and for two days afterwards is cost effective ( just over £10 for 4 pills ).  I'm a slutty bottom who likes to take multiple anonymous loads at saunas say one night per week.  £10 for a night of uninhibited fun seems like a good investment.  Anyone else know of evidence or studies which show that taking Truvada just before exposure and for two days afterwards is effective?

Really Pretty bad idea.  Nothing like this has been studied because the chance of developing viral resistance is quit great if you do become infected.  Additionally For PrEP to be effective the medication has to reach certain concentrations in certain tissues, a few pills before and after are unlikely to do that.  

Sorry man I wish I had another answer for you but I dont.  

You best bet otherwise to start PrEP using the generic equivalent (Tenvir-EM) It can be found online for about $100/month.  If you do choose this route however ou still need to get initial tests from your doctor, considering what the NHS does, I would just be forward with them about what you are doing and request the tests necessary, but dont tell them where you are getting the medication.      

Actually, wood, it has been studied and found to be so effective they took the men on placebos and put them on the drug. More info here http://www.advocate.com/31-days-prep/2014/10/29/study-shows-demand-prep-drastically-reduce-hiv-infection

We know essentially nothing about iPERGAY results, other than they have terminated their placebo arm because PrEP works, which we already knew.

Subjects were asked to take the pill 2 days before and 2 days after I think after sex. We really have to wait for the results, but it could very well be that a lot of people were just taking it often enough (4+ /times week) that confer some sort of constant protection and not so much instant protection from the 2 pills before.

That said, tenofovir reaches steady state in blood very quickly, like an hour or so, so it could be that you indeed have some sort of protection right away.

Edited by rawfuckr

Yes, Tenvir-Em is available for purchase online BUT:

1. you still need regular HIV antibody tests. Should you seroconvert using a stop/start regimen like this, you're liable to end up with virus resistant to emtricitabine and tenofovir (probably the two commonest ARVs in use today, and coincidentally, the components of truvada), which would limit your choice of drug regimes thereafter.

2. Emtricitibine is process through the liver so it's essential to have your liver function checked every three months, and if necessary, leave the Tenvir-Em alone.

3. Possibly more seriously, you need to have your kidney function tested, again every three months. Having nearly died through tenofovir attacking my kidneys, admittedly a worst-case scenario, it is still possible.

I think you need to do a lot more research on this plan of action. In the meantime there is a petition to the UK government that truvada be released for prescription immediately at https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/72422/signature/new . I'd urge all readers to sign it...

one thing that hasn't been mentioned - absolutely do not take 3-4 pills in one day.  you can cause serious damage to your liver and kidney.  if you are going to try loading up before loading up (hah!), you need to take it daily for several days beforehand, not a mega-dose at one time.  i don't recommend doing this at all, but if you're going to do it, at least minimize your risk of organ damage.

Guest JizzDumpWI

Truvada needs to get to a therapeutic blood level for it to work, and you need to keep going for some time after last potential exposure. If you don't have bare sex very often nor spontaneously, in theory you could take Truvada starting at least three days before you take that load, and for two weeks after. But understand this hadn't been studied. More certain would be a full week before and three weeks after. If you only get bare fucked one month per year, this might be a viable option.

Most of us don't fuck on a schedule and so regular use your best best. Some take it every other day, and as a cost reduction measure this might work for you. Every other day has been studied. I am guessing wood could find that. The challenge of every other day is that it is harder to remember, and less wiggle room when you forget.