PrEP side effects that feel like the flu

seaguy

So I went to my doctor and got PrEP I am going to take it in advance of planned sex, so PrEP on demand.  I decided to start taking it after I picked up the prescription because I had plans to hook up with a buddy who's poz.  After like two days of taking it I started to feel like total crap.  I felt like I had the flu I had aches all over my body, my throat was sore, and I felt like I was 80 yrs old instead of 46.  I had to call out sick from work for two days.  I stopped taking the PrEP and the aches and sore throat went away.  But I am wondering has anyone else experienced similar and is it just temporary?  If I have to feel like that for a week or more I don't think I can handle PrEP, I mean I felt like total shit.

And I had all the tests done before I got PrEP all came back negative so it is not the fuck flu, and I had a flu shot.  Plus when I stopped PrEP it went away.  Just wanted to ask if others have had this experience?

• Like 1

• Moderators

This site seems to indicate that everything you report except a sore throat is a possible initial side-effect of PrEP. Maybe you happened to pick up some sort of 48-hour bug right around the same time you started taking it. 

I had stomach issues until I switched to taking it at bedtime. I had initially tried taking it after breakfast which was giving me nausea and cramps. 

I am on Atripla and I take it at bedtime. Yes I’m dizzy if I get up in the middle of the night. And if I forget a day I have more energy the next day. But overall it’s not too hard to take. 

I started out on Trizivir with Viramune, which is no longer even prescribed. I had to wait until 9AM to take it. If I took it before work I would definitely throw up if I smelled anything the least bit bad. Sometimes I threw up anyway. Sneaking the pills at 9 at work was really nerve racking. 

27 minutes ago, Pozlover1 said:

I am on Atripla and I take it at bedtime. Yes I’m dizzy if I get up in the middle of the night. And if I forget a day I have more energy the next day. But overall it’s not too hard to take. 

I started out on Trizivir with Viramune, which is no longer even prescribed. I had to wait until 9AM to take it. If I took it before work I would definitely throw up if I smelled anything the least bit bad. Sometimes I threw up anyway. Sneaking the pills at 9 at work was really nerve racking. 

You should ask your Dr about the newer meds... Atripla is okay, but there are many newer ones with less ide effects

Guest Porthos

The dizziness you experience from atripla is probably from the sustiva component...Atripla is a combo of sustiva (efaavirenz) and truvada (a 2 drug component)...PrEP is Truvada