Why Did You Get Into Bareback sex?

pabbman

For me, it was not a choice.  I was young and was fucked bare.  I honestly never even knew what a condom was until a few years later.  Even then, tops would never use them. I even asked a few, and they refused.  So...

4 hours ago, DannyBoyCMH said:

For me, it was not a choice.  I was young and was fucked bare.  I honestly never even knew what a condom was until a few years later.  Even then, tops would never use them. I even asked a few, and they refused.  So...

Same here at 11 I didn't know and then by the time I knew I didn't want the top to wear them. 

Edited by Pnpguyny
misspelling

I never liked condoms and had always imagined sex without them - just took me a while to find someone who didn’t use them and then I was hooked!  Even although I was a teenager in the 80’s when the AIDS campaign was at its height, I still thought that when I started to have sex with men I wanted to experience it raw, even although I thought there was something wrong with me wanting it. It wasn’t until the late 90’s that I had my first bareback experience with a random hookup (an older divorced guy) - I was scared and turned on at the same time - but hooked!

The question: "Why did you get into bareback sex?"  is telling i think. Bare is the natural way to have sex. To me the real question would be why people choose otherwise?  

Was condom use between men having sex even a thing prior to HIV?  

Condoms were  sort of like the 'mask' of the 80's and early 90's, used in an attempt to avoid infection, but wearing a mask or condom is not natural. Even for two guys having sex who wore/wear condoms, it seems to me it's a choice to wear a condom, not a choice to go bare.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, tallslenderguy said:

The question: "Why did you get into bareback sex?"  is telling i think. Bare is the natural way to have sex. To me the real question would be why people choose otherwise?  

Was condom use between men having sex even a thing prior to HIV?  

Condoms were  sort of like the 'mask' of the 80's and early 90's, used in an attempt to avoid infection, but wearing a mask or condom is not natural. Even for two guys having sex who wore/wear condoms, it seems to me it's a choice to wear a condom, not a choice to go bare.

It's not that you're wrong about what's natural. But it's a generational/timing thing. As I recall, you were married and on the DL at least through most (if not all) of the 80's and 90's.

Those of us who came out (and were out and involved in the community) in the early 80's were inundated with safer-sex messages - that a condom was necessary *every* time you had sex, And we all knew someone who didn't follow that mandate and who ended up poz, at a time when there were either no treatments or only very rudimentary ones, and no PrEP. For literally an entire generation of young gay men, it was largely inconceivable that people would continue to have sex raw - or at least, that anyone would admit to it. While it undoubtedly happened (as we can see from HIV infection rates that continued to rise), bareback sex was a risk a huge portion of gay men were unwilling to take. That's why people chose otherwise, and there are some, to this day, who don't trust PrEP or who want to prevent, as much as is possible, other STI's. 

So many of the guys who publicly came out and were "significantly" sexually active pre-condom/pre-HIV are now dead - a big number from HIV, but some from simple aging; a man born in 1950, and thus in his mid 20's in the 1970's, would be 71 today, which isn't "old" but isn't exactly spring chicken territory, either. There's a much bigger cohort of us born in the 1960's and 1970's, who were part of that generation for which "condom sex" was promoted as standard. That's why some "people choose otherwise", even today in the era of HAART and PrEP.

9 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

It's not that you're wrong about what's natural. But it's a generational/timing thing. As I recall, you were married and on the DL at least through most (if not all) of the 80's and 90's.

Those of us who came out (and were out and involved in the community) in the early 80's were inundated with safer-sex messages - that a condom was necessary *every* time you had sex, And we all knew someone who didn't follow that mandate and who ended up poz, at a time when there were either no treatments or only very rudimentary ones, and no PrEP. For literally an entire generation of young gay men, it was largely inconceivable that people would continue to have sex raw - or at least, that anyone would admit to it. While it undoubtedly happened (as we can see from HIV infection rates that continued to rise), bareback sex was a risk a huge portion of gay men were unwilling to take. That's why people chose otherwise, and there are some, to this day, who don't trust PrEP or who want to prevent, as much as is possible, other STI's. 

So many of the guys who publicly came out and were "significantly" sexually active pre-condom/pre-HIV are now dead - a big number from HIV, but some from simple aging; a man born in 1950, and thus in his mid 20's in the 1970's, would be 71 today, which isn't "old" but isn't exactly spring chicken territory, either. There's a much bigger cohort of us born in the 1960's and 1970's, who were part of that generation for which "condom sex" was promoted as standard. That's why some "people choose otherwise", even today in the era of HAART and PrEP.

Yeah, i get it. Conditioned behavior can feel "natural," eh?  

i had an older brother, 13 years older, who was gay and died of AID's  in the early 80's. i was still religious, married (to a woman) and trying to de-gay myself at the time of his awful death (he had every opportunistic disease one can think of, he was emaciated and covered in Kaposis). i was scared to death of AID's, had the religious notion that i was broken and sinful because i'm gay, yet i engaged in anonymous hook up sex and took bare Men's cock and their semen all the time. It was a horrible cycle for me where i would fight, and pray, fast, beg "God" to help me all while driving to the crusing place where i knew i could get fucked. As soon as i got a load in me, i was filled with remorse and would swear never to do it again... till the next day, or a few hours later. 

i came to realize after i accepted myself for who i am (i.e., "gay") that my compulsive sex was my only affirmation as a gay man, it was a form of self medication. The compulsive need dropped instantly when i accepted myself.  But despite all that, i can count on one hand the number of times a condom was used (and i am in the >1000 cocks club).  

Strangely, i did not become poz till several years after i divorced. Ironically, i found out when i went in to get tested so i could get on PrEP.  So, i count myself very fortunate that i did not infect my former wife. 

For me, sex with a condom is incomplete, i'd rather go without. i know that may seem crazy to some, but it's how i feel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1. I have always fetishized going raw but came of age during the AIDS Crisis so was hesitant
  2. I have a big dick and have difficulty staying hard in a condom
  3. I used to go to a lot of sex parties where nearly everyone was fucking raw (either on PrEP or undetectable)
  4. PrEP became available and was almost free with insurance 
  5. Going bareback opened up the possibilities of hooking up with much hotter guys (especially in group situations in big U.S. cities) 
  6. It feels amazing 
  7. It’s a huge psychological rush to let a man cum in my ass

All that being said, I probably would have never barebacked regularly were it not for PrEP. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1