Are Democrats ashamed of Michael Dukakis?

highcountrybb

• Moderators

Honestly, I don't imagine many of us give him much thought any more. He's been in retirement for a while. He was nominated for POTUS in an election that Democrats knew they had little chance to win because Bush was riding on the popularity of termed-out Reagan. He came out of a primary process where the candidates people were excited about had been sidelined by scandals. Also despite all of this, Dukakis actually did better in the 1988 election than Mondale had done in 1984 and Carter had done in 1980. He did terribly; Democrats got creamed. But it wasn't as if his flaws tanked the election. 

The Democrats have not nominated another "Massachusetts Liberal" like him since unless you count John Kerry in 2004, but no Democrat expected to win that election either.  

I am not defending the Massachusetts Furlough Program, but Dukakis didn't start the program; it was begun by the GOP governor who came before him. Also, it's not like he picked Willie Horton out personally and released him. In any case, this flawed program was discontinued during Dukakis last term.

Yeah, the tank ad was a debacle no argument there. 

Like the Repugs are models of virtue!  The xtian Right would've tarred and feathered Clinton for his sexual misdeeds, but they LOVED the thrice married serial adulterer.  Better a man who fucks around than someone who fucks the country!  I'm sick of the so called xtians claiming that the US is their domain!  And while we're on the subject, George Santos, anyone?

• Like 3

Whether the op was looking to stoke anger, he's about to get it!  To quote Margo Channing, "Fasten your seatbelts!  It's going to be a bumpy night!"  Rant continued.  Obviously, you identify as a Republican.  There must be something seriously WRONG with you!  Why be part of a party that despises your very existence?  Do you value being fiscally conservative above being gay?  In your case, I use gay because you haven't earned the right to be QUEER!  You could be libertarian or independent.  More than just a Democrat, I'm a radical Leftist, a QUEER Abbie Hoffman would be a good description.  At the age of 10, I was too young for Stonewall, but well aware of it's significance.  Could we be headed for another Stonewall?  Maybe, but this time we MUST not become complacent.  Once again to the op, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!  Shall I continue?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, highcountrybb said:

I don’t think Democrats will ever win another election if they keep running Massachusetts liberal like him for POTUS. He let Willie Horton out of jail and Willie committed crimes again. His wife is also alcoholism. Don’t even get me started on the tank fiasco.

Did you just step out of a Time Machine from 1988?  Is that what all these unidentified objects being shot out of the sky have been?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

The only thing I can guess from this post is voting for Michael Dukakis must be something Dixiecrats turned MAGA Republicans are ashamed of. I voted against Dukakis almost 35 years ago, but see no reason for people who voted for him to be ashamed of their vote. He ran a legitimate campaign, lost, conceded his loss in a dignified manner and retired as Massachusetts governor 2 years later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, highcountrybb said:

I don’t think Democrats will ever win another election if they keep running Massachusetts liberal like him for POTUS. He let Willie Horton out of jail and Willie committed crimes again. His wife is also alcoholism. Don’t even get me started on the tank fiasco.

you do know that was 34 years ago...?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Theo8 said:

What the fuck is this thread?

Some troll pretending to offer insights, but really just trying to "own the libs", on a Presidential candidate from when he was three years old. So you know he has a lot first hand knowledge of the 88 campaign.

Edited by Rillion
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Well, highcountrybb - interesting that you decided to kick a horse that's been dead for 35 years.  You're correct in that there were a number of flaws in that campaign, as there are in many Presidential campaigns.  Your attempted insults fall on long-deaf ears (or, in this case, eyes). 

Never the less, thank you for your post. 

12 hours ago, Rillion said:

Some troll pretending to offer insights, but really just trying to "own the libs", on a Presidential candidate from when he was three years old. So you know he has a lot first hand knowledge of the 88 campaign.

I'm waiting for "why aren't Democrats ashamed of Adlai Stevenson", he lost twice.

• Haha 3