Opportunity to look at AIDS up close

NiceHard1

People seem to forget they are not the only ones that are going thru these stages of the disease. I was once in your friends boat. I lost 35 lbs in a matter of weeks and my potassium levels were near rock bottom as my body was rejecting all forms of nutrition. Needless to say i had full blown AIDS. I would get tested but never would follow up for the results until the results got the best of me. I was scared but remained positive and here I am Two years later undetectable and living my life to the fullest. Enjoying what I always have. Traveling, Family, Friends and bare sex. I wish your friend all the best and hope that he too realizes he can live a full life if he takes his treatments as directed.

Yes If treatments are taken as directed, one can lead a full life of being

a uninhibited bareback cumdump. I do find that pozz guys are usually

the most fun by far. I live in California which has a good drug assistance

program. If one lives in a state that doesn't, well....then maybe one should

consider moving to a state that does. The states that do have a good

drug assistance programs (ADAP) seem to be better places to live anyway.

Day two in the hospital - update on my friend

Diagnosis came back as pneumonia and Giardia. His Tcells are very low.

On oxygen and lots of meds to work on the pneumonia and giardia.

Said it was pooing, peeing, and throwing up at the same time with losing muscle control that finally convinced him that it was bad enough to do something. He's actually in good spirits, and I'm feeling positive that he can pull through.

I fully agree with what many have said... That there is both wrong with being as sexual as we want to be, even if that includes becoming HIV poz. I certainly am. Becoming poz requires responsibility and committment to do what is necessary to stay healthy.

Day two in the hospital - update on my friend

Said it was pooing, peeing, and throwing up at the same time with losing muscle control that finally convinced him that it was bad enough to do something.

Sadly this is what it takes alot of people to take action. I have an acquaintance that I think is in the same situation as your friend. But still in his deteriorating situation it still seems like his priorities are still in the wrong place as far as figuring his condition.

Why was he neglecting his meds, or not on meds? Is there any deeper psychological issue? That could bring problems down the road, so it is important to figure it out.

He admitte to me that he was just ignoring being HIV positive - didn't want to accept it or face it, and so he never went on meds - until now.

• 2 weeks later...

Update ...

They let him out of the hospital, and he is back home at his parents house.

I've been leaving my phone on al night, and he has taken me up on this offer a couple of times now.

He has called me at about 3am, scared and in lots of pain. He complains about lots of pain in his joints in particular. If there are others who have gone to full blown AIDS - either by choice or not - please share any ideas of what you have done to try to manage the pain when you were in this position.

I've also told him that I have been posting here, and so he might start reading the thread. I told him about the many well wishes from many of you. He texted me some pictures of himself in the hospital, but I won't post them withough his permission. I'll ask him if I can when the time is right.

mmmm. Actually pain in the joints is a good thing, it is a sign your immune system is working full throttle. He has HSP, Heat Shcok Proteins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_shock_protein), probably, in massive amount, he forms antibodies against them and those antibodies cause inflammation in the joints. It will go away as his organism and the drugs clear the infection and things go back to normal. Ask him if his wrists hurt when he tries to step of the bed. I experienced that during my hepatitis B

Big hug to you too. Just be there, someone who he can turn to, scream at, cry with, and laugh with. I expect it will be as vitally important for him as it is for my 30 year old buddy - a slow-reactor HIV+ buddy - who has been through hell battling with liver cancer for the past year and now finds he has lymphoma and has to go on chemo and radio-therapy. Be strong - sending more positive energy and best wishes to you and to your buddy.

Edited by slowfuck

It never ceases to amaze me. While we all may be a bunch of sex pigs, performing 'acts' that may be considered unsafe and extreme, when it comes to "one of our own" succumbing to the ills of our activities (or by no fault of his own) our true selves come out showing care and compassion for those who have fallen ill. We may be pigs but we're also human, and I'm happy to be associated with you guys !!

Update on the boy...

He has his ups and downs. Last couple of days been more feeling down. Viral load is at 800,000 and CD4 count is 7; Has basically no immune system in his words. His doctor wants him to avoid public as much as possible, to avoid getting infections else that he might not be able to fight off.

"I fucking hate feeling like I'm going backwards. I was feeling so good the past couple weeks, and now I'm sick and nauseous and week and dizzy. I just want to go forward."