Syphilis - Time Exposure To Symptoms

How long does it take exposure to a rash? Because after the bad hookup I had they checked me but said I'd need to be rechecked and I have a slight rash right now and fever. It's been about a month so I'm thinking that what it could be? 

Although I may have gotten it (if that is what this is) before this too...so how long would it normally take to show a symptom? I'm also asking this as BF has been out of town since before the bad hookup...

This makes me feel really dirty (far more dirty than I did after ending up in hospital)...maybe cuz it makes it real? idk

Edited by cheatingjock

Usually it takes a few weeks for the rash to show up, 4 weeks sounds realistic. However, if you really have syphillis, you can usually feel the chancre (the point where the bacteria first entered the body, which is like a frozen pea under the skin with a sore on top) long before that (if its on your dick, in your mouth, it's harder to find if it's deep in the ass).

If it it's just a slight rash without chancre, don't be too worried. More often than not it's just a result of using the wrong fabric softener. However, an intense rash on the trunk of the body (shoulder etc.) plus a chancre means that it's most likely syph. Painful, swollen lymph notes (especially in the proximity of the chancre) are also a sign.

By the time you get a rash, a test will come back positive. So the answer is clear: Get rechecked. An antibody test is simple, fast and even if you have to pay for it, it's only something like 20 bucks. One exception: If you already had syphillis once, you still have antibodies, even if you're not infected right now. So the AB test is worthless. The have to look for the bacteria directly which takes longer and costs more.

• Moderators

If the rash spreads to the palms of your hands or the soles of your feet, there is a good chance it is syphilis. That's how my doctor recognized my secondary stage case; he was sure even before the test came back. 

It depends on the treatment guidelines in your country, but above all on the time between exposure and treatment.

Standard treatment if it's caught early enough is one shot (a rather large syringe) of penicillin. A number of oral antibiotics are an alternative, especially if you're allergic to penicillin. If your doctor determines you need a larger dose, that could be three of the same shots over the course of three weeks. Or shots plus oral antibiotics to be sure. The dosage increases with time. If you've had syphillis for years and it has moved to your brain, you might be hospitalized and get IV (intravenous) antibiotics for weeks. 

With syph it really is a case of: The earlier it's caught, the better

• Moderators

I was diagnosed with second stage syphilis two summers ago. I was given a large injection of penicillin in my rear. I had a really strong reaction that evening which is normal. Another test was done a few weeks that showed I didn't need further treatment.