I was able to get mine in Reno NV on 8/31 at a county health department run vacc clinic at the local LGBT center. As part of it they scheduled us for the second shot on 10/5. They were also having a second clinic in mid September at a gay bar downtown.

Was nice to see them finally doing outreach to the gay community after a few months of not having it available.

• Administrators
On 9/8/2022 at 6:47 AM, poztop9 said:

FYI, Got my second MPX dose yesterday. Here in CT the timing is 4 weeks between 1st and 2nd doses. My 2nd dose was given via intradermal (shallow) injection. Full immunity should happen about 2 weeks from now.

I think "maximum immunity" would be better phrase than "full immunity". I think at its best it's only 85% effective. But if enough guys get it, then there's herd immunity…

[To be honest, I'm not sure they've tested the vaccine enough to have a definitive percent efficacy. They didn't have an outbreak to test against until now.]

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, rawTOP said:

I think "maximum immunity" would be better phrase than "full immunity". I think at its best it's only 85% effective. But if enough guys get it, then there's herd immunity…

[To be honest, I'm not sure they've tested the vaccine enough to have a definitive percent efficacy. They didn't have an outbreak to test against until now.]

I am also curious whether there are studies of those of us who were originally inoculated for smallpox as children back when that was common.  Would a new inoculation be more a booster and if so, is a single dose likely enough to achieve maximum effectiveness?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimInWisc said:

I am also curious whether there are studies of those of us who were originally inoculated for smallpox as children back when that was common.  Would a new inoculation be more a booster and if so, is a single dose likely enough to achieve maximum effectiveness?

I would also be interested in any information related to the smallpox shots we got as kids.  As I recall, we had to get a shot with several immunizations in the mix before we could go to kindergarten?  I don't really remember much about it at all.

So relieved I got the first of the two shots today, another 28 days till the second.   Funny, being in a room filled with guys wondering, "have I hooked up with any of them"?????   The required masks kept that question from being answered, and so many couples, hmmmmm.  I wonder what that means????🤔  

I have a new found appreciation for the health department,  as opposed to those calls from ten years back when they were calling me about a possible gonorrhea exposure.🙄

• Upvote 1

Received my second shot today but, as Physician informed me, my smallpox shot from way back was enough.

I informed him of the Baths I frequent and sex parties and he said 'probably for the better, but still not necessary.  It is not that serious if you are healthy'.

He is the fifth Physician to echo the same thing.

The other thing they reminded me about is, just like the COVID shots, you may not get infected, but you can still be a carrier and infect others.  

That was the thing that I thought was silly was for the City (NY) to impose those silly VAC cards to gain entrance to places.  It only meant YOU would not get anything, but you could infect others (Funniest was the 'Social Distance' markers on the floors of the Bathhouses, or the guys that walked around with masks!  Really?  Really!).

As always, if it all bothers you or you are ascared just stay home.

Considering the talking points on this site are of bug chasers, drug usage and every other kind of fun (which I love), kind of stupid to ever talk about COVID, or monkeypox or any other avoidable disease or destructive drug.

The party NEVER ends!

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Goldneye007 said:

Considering the talking points on this site are of bug chasers, drug usage and every other kind of fun (which I love), kind of stupid to ever talk about COVID, or monkeypox or any other avoidable disease or destructive drug.

The party NEVER ends!

Here's the thing, though. COVID had a significant fatality rate. A million people dead from COVID in the US in two years is substantial. Monkeypox isn't as fatal, but given what it's like to go through it, it's definitely something to avoid.

HIV, for some reason, attracts a certain amount of fetishization. I'm sure it's a very complex thing, but a significant number of people have an attraction to getting or giving HIV, whereas I know nobody - at all - who has the same feelings about COVID or Monkeypox. It's true that untreated HIV is usually fatal, but we do have good treatments widely available now (in western countries at least) which kind of ameliorates the perceived craziness of "chasing" an otherwise incurable infection.

As for drug use: frankly, I wouldn't care if the entire subject of drug use in sexual contexts were banned - I realize it's not going to happen, and I'm happy with the compromise of confining such discussions to the Backroom area, which can be easily avoided - just as bug chasing is confined to the same area, and likewise can be avoided.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Here's the thing, though. COVID had a significant fatality rate. A million people dead from COVID in the US in two years is substantial. Monkeypox isn't as fatal, but given what it's like to go through it, it's definitely something to avoid.

HIV, for some reason, attracts a certain amount of fetishization. I'm sure it's a very complex thing, but a significant number of people have an attraction to getting or giving HIV, whereas I know nobody - at all - who has the same feelings about COVID or Monkeypox. It's true that untreated HIV is usually fatal, but we do have good treatments widely available now (in western countries at least) which kind of ameliorates the perceived craziness of "chasing" an otherwise incurable infection.

As for drug use: frankly, I wouldn't care if the entire subject of drug use in sexual contexts were banned - I realize it's not going to happen, and I'm happy with the compromise of confining such discussions to the Backroom area, which can be easily avoided - just as bug chasing is confined to the same area, and likewise can be avoided.

Well, per my info at the CDC where I volunteered for two years, the COVID fatality rate was 0.1%, and that included SARS, Swine Flu, Regular Flu and any other variation since the specs did not break out specifics, unless done with the molecular tests, which most were not.

Same for the second year 

Now that these things are 'popular' with the media and politicians, you will see no end to it, unlike the swine flu pandemic that was pretty much ignored by all.

Did you ever think how much each 'free' shot will be billed to the Government?  First posting, since pulled, is US$200/shot, billable over 10 years.

As usual, follow the money and power.

• Like 1

I was caught off guard yesterday when receiving my monkeypox vaccine.  They checked my "record" and insisted I needed a hepatitis A shot.  I felt almost pressured to take the hepatitis shot, but after reading many  infected had traveled abroad, I was somewhat relieved.  I plan on going to two countries in late October that have very high Hep A rates.

But here is my question to Forum members, why were they so  insistent on getting my Medicaire number if these shots were supposed to be free?  I happened to be  with someone is privately insured, they didn't ask him for a copay or any of his private insurance information.  

I am incredibly grateful that these shots were given in a private facility, air-conditioned, and offered a time window of up to two hours.  I have also been assured I can return there in 28 days for the second shot, I won't have to go the Health Department and wait in line, or deal with new people who aren't expecting me.

So again, why the insistence of gaining my Medicare number?  If I am told by my Ryan White case manager it's free, why the sudden demand for that number??

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Goldneye007 said:

Received my second shot today but, as Physician informed me, my smallpox shot from way back was enough.

I informed him of the Baths I frequent and sex parties and he said 'probably for the better, but still not necessary.  It is not that serious if you are healthy'.

He is the fifth Physician to echo the same thing.

The other thing they reminded me about is, just like the COVID shots, you may not get infected, but you can still be a carrier and infect others.  

That was the thing that I thought was silly was for the City (NY) to impose those silly VAC cards to gain entrance to places.  It only meant YOU would not get anything, but you could infect others (Funniest was the 'Social Distance' markers on the floors of the Bathhouses, or the guys that walked around with masks!  Really?  Really!).

As always, if it all bothers you or you are ascared just stay home.

The party NEVER ends!

First off, Smallpox vaccines were a series of 5 shots. Many of us only got one or two of them. To pretend one shot 50 years ago will protect you is just silly. Doctors should be challenged when they make ignorant statements like that. I'd probably say "so can I sue you for pain and suffering when I get MPX after following your advice?"

And your logic on COVID makes zero sense. You say the vaccine protects the person, but they can still infect others then say the vaccine checks at venues make no sense since they can still infect others. But if everyone in the venue is vaccinated (which you call protected), then how are they going to get infected? The point of the vaccine checks was two fold: 1) to keep vulnerable, unvaccinated people from putting themselves in dangerous situations, and 2) to strongly encourage vaccination. It achieved both of those goals.

9 hours ago, Goldneye007 said:

Well, per my info at the CDC where I volunteered for two years, the COVID fatality rate was 0.1%, and that included SARS, Swine Flu, Regular Flu and any other variation since the specs did not break out specifics, unless done with the molecular tests, which most were not.

Same for the second year 

Now that these things are 'popular' with the media and politicians, you will see no end to it, unlike the swine flu pandemic that was pretty much ignored by all.

Did you ever think how much each 'free' shot will be billed to the Government?  First posting, since pulled, is US$200/shot, billable over 10 years.

As usual, follow the money and power.

The fatality rate is 0.1% when you're vaxxed and boosted. It's 1.71% when you're unvaccinated.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-compare-covid-deaths-for-vaccinated-and-unvaccinated-people/

If no one was vaccinated and no one social distanced and every one got COVID eventually, then it would mean 5.6 million people in the US would die. Right now only 1.05 million have died. A million is far too high a number. But it sounds like you're advocating for something that would kill an additional 4 1/2 million people.

Advocating policies that lead to mass death is not allowed on this site. Be very careful what you say in the future or you will get an infraction and a ban for advocating harm to real people.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ellentonboy said:

I was caught off guard yesterday when receiving my monkeypox vaccine.  They checked my "record" and insisted I needed a hepatitis A shot.  I felt almost pressured to take the hepatitis shot, but after reading many  infected had traveled abroad, I was somewhat relieved.  I plan on going to two countries in late October that have very high Hep A rates.

Most gay men should get both the Hep A & Hep B vaccine. If you ever do rimming or ass-to-mouth you need the Hep A vaccine. They were right to push it. (Though I don't know why they were asking for insurance info.)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

HIV, for some reason, attracts a certain amount of fetishization

I think it's because hiv has come to be so closely associated with wanton sex, and yet survivable.  Almost all rawguys like the idea of participating in wanton, no-holes-barred* sex, and a lot of us actually do it.  Those guys who live in fairly remote areas where "city-sex" isn't easily available, and aren't possessed of an impressive intellectual capacity. Thus, they can easily transfer their instincts, wants, needs, desires for wanton sex to the likely outcome of becoming sero-converted, and yet imagine the possibility of a relatively 'whole' sexual life.  

There's no way to know for sure, of course, but I can't help but wonder how much of these fap fap (thanks again) chasers are actually out there living these fantasies.  

*deliberate 

3 hours ago, rawTOP said:

And your logic on COVID makes zero sense. You say the vaccine protects the person, but they can still infect others then say the vaccine checks at venues make no sense since they can still infect others. But if everyone in the venue is vaccinated (which you call protected), then how are they going to get infected? The point of the vaccine checks was two fold: 1) to keep vulnerable, unvaccinated people from putting themselves in dangerous situations, and 2) to strongly encourage vaccination. It achieved both of those goals.

Advocating policies that lead to mass death is not allowed on this site. Be very careful what you say in the future or you will get an infraction and a ban for advocating harm to real people.

A vaccinated person can still pass the Covid virus and infect another vaccinated person.

I am hearing the same is true with the MPX vax.

Edited by topblkmale

"I'm hearing...."  sounds so much like another Trumpism "people are saying....".  Would you name your sources please?  

No one at CDC has claimed vaccines protect perfectly.  They, the CDC, do tell us vaccines vastly improve outcomes and lower transmission.  They've been consistent on that.  Further, we have evidence of high profile people contracting covid after vaccinations who exhibit only mild illness.  

• Upvote 1