9 hours ago, tallslenderguy said:

For those looking for scientific info: Published August 11,2022 in "Nature"

"Whether monkeypox is sexually transmitted in absolute terms — passed from one person to another through blood, semen or other bodily fluids during sex — is still unclear. But several studies have found that DNA from the monkeypox virus is present in a person’s semen for weeks after they become infected2,3. One study also isolated infectious virus from a single individual’s semen six days after their symptoms appeared."

Good read. Thanks for sharing this. 👍🏾

I'm unsure about this study for two reasons:

1: I'm pretty certain only males (men) have semen.

2: This does not explain why hetero women are not impacted sexually.

Edited by topblkmale
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ass said:

Does anyone know if it's safe to get COVID vaccine shortly after MPX vaccine?

"Simultaneous Immunizations

In most cases, you can get a JYNNEOS vaccine at the same time you get other vaccinations, except possibly COVID-19 vaccine.

COVID-19 vaccines may be delayed by 4 weeks if the JYNNEOS vaccine is given first."

[think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/vaccines/jynneos.html

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, topblkmale said:

Good read. Thanks for sharing this. 👍🏾

I'm unsure about this study for two reasons:

1: I'm pretty certain only males (men) have semen.

2: This does not explain why hetero women are not impacted sexually.

I don't think women "not impacted"; it's more that men who have sex with men are much more likely to spread it among each other. That's because of the much higher rate of partner change we have, sexually. That's also a reason why HIV spread faster and wider among gay men.

With an STI, the 3 main factors affecting spread are infectivity (how infectious the bacterium or virus is), prevalence (how many people in the population are infected), and rate of partner change (how often we have sex with someone different). Monkeypox in the gay community spread fast because it's both fairly easy to spread and because of sex parties and the like, which are, epidemiologically speaking, high rates of partner change.

For more on how these factors interplay in the spread of STIs in our community, see Gabriel Rotello's excellent book Sexual Ecology: AIDS and the Destiny of Gay Men. Parts are out of date because of advances in treatment and PrEP, but the workings of epidemiology are nicely explained and still relevant. It's useful for understanding Covid and Monkeypox both.

8 minutes ago, DarkroomTaker said:

Hi, I got my MX vaccine yesterday. I booked for my Covid booster this coming Monday. I asked the Dr about this and he said ghis would be fine to have. But just checkout yourself also. Thanks.

Had my MPX last Wednesday. Was asked if I'd had any other vaccines in the last 7 days or was planning on having any 7 days after, so guessing best to separate them by at least a week, but always take official medical advice.

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2022 at 10:11 PM, EuroMusk76 said:

AFAIK there is no Doxycycline contained in the vaccine. It would be very surprising if an antibiotic which clears up bacterial infections is found in a vaccine against viruses. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

There is but I meant Cipro, not sure why I wrote Doxycycline (I swear I should be blond not bald, lol). It's ciproflaxin, and I am allergic to it.

On 9/20/2022 at 4:03 AM, topblkmale said:

gentamicin & ciprofloxacin

Yes, and I actually meant I am allergic to Cipro, that and penicillin, not Doxy(stupid me) but there's no penicillin in the vaccine, so that part is fine, but Cipro I am worried about.

• Administrators
On 9/20/2022 at 4:16 AM, Justyn said:

Who cares!  It was 50 years ago!  Those people are probably dead by now.

Silly stuff to be posted on a site that flaunts disease sharing and drug use (all of which I agree with and have fun with).

On 9/20/2022 at 4:55 AM, Justyn said:

Why not just set up a separate site for all those 'helpful hints' rather than punish those that don't get where to say things here and get 'punished' for saying the wrong things on the wrong places (Backroom?).  All pretty stupid for a site like this to have a 'moral section', but someone can easily learn about slamming and bug chasing for fun.

Anyway, most of my encounters are over 50 as they tend to be the most open and irresponsible, which is great, especially at the Baths or sex parties around the country.

It doesn't feel like you're a good fit for this site, so I've put you "In Purgatory" - which means your ability to use the site will be restricted forever.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators
On 9/20/2022 at 8:30 PM, ass said:

Does anyone know if it's safe to get COVID vaccine shortly after MPX vaccine?

NYC won't give you one if you've had the other in the last 28 days. However they're fine giving the flu shot (another vaccine) at any point. Not sure what data that's based on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

A new study is out and apparently there are two new variants of MPX going around…

Genome analysis from the study has revealed 13 new apolipoprotein B editing complex (APOBEC3) mutations and 16 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs).

In monkeypox strains circulating in India, the study identified 25 additional APOBEC3 mutations.

(Source)

Presumably the mutations will (given time and more research) explain how MPX basically turned itself into an STI with a much lower death rate than the variants found in Africa.

[The study has not been peer-reviewed yet.]

42 minutes ago, rawTOP said:

A new study is out and apparently there are two new variants of MPX going around…

Presumably the mutations will (given time and more research) explain how MPX basically turned itself into an STI with a much lower death rate than the variants found in Africa.

[The study has not been peer-reviewed yet.]

According to a report in the Guardian from the beginning of the month a second MPX strain has been identified in the UK, linked with travel to west Africa.

At the time of reporting it wasn't clear if it's a genuinely new strain of MPX or a strain identified in previous outbreaks.

Source: [think before following links] https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/02/second-monkeypox-strain-found-in-the-uk

My internist (fairly substantial gay clientele) told me the same thing:  wait a month for the covid booster after receiving the 2nd mpx shot.  I'm not completely confident he keeps current on all the new information, but I'll still take his advice and wait a couple more weeks for the next covid booster.  So far, they've been working great - at least for me.