Smoking And Hiv

TigerMilner

People are still dying of aids, admittedly not in the numbers we saw in the eighties and nineties, but the ARVs are not a cure. Never forget that. If I came off my ARVs I doubt I'd last a year.

Two conversations: one with a nurse when visiting a friend who clearly wasn't going to last the day: "should he be smoking in his condition?" "Well, it's not as thought it's going to do long term damage..."

And a neighbour: "Should you be smoking with what you've got?" "I've got aids: you expect me to be worried about lung cancer?"...

Fact is that stopping smoking is among the best decisions you can make for your health, and yes, some HIV-related conditions are exacerbated by smoking, whether you're on treatment or not

Agreed.

In other news I just found out my great aunt quit! Well I say that because she now has dementia and is in assisted living that won't allow her to smoke. And I don't know if it her lack of memory or what but apparently she doesn't miss it. LOL. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 120DaysofSodom

Good for you, buddy.

I was a 2 pack a day smoker since I was 14 and quit at 25 when I suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax and was hospitalized for the collapsed lung. I too used the patches. After a few weeks, youll never think about wanting one, and at any time you find yourself around a smoker, youll understand how disgusting they really are. The smell, the taste, always thinking about them, always wanting one, being controlled by them, do you have enough to make it through the night or do you need to go out and buy another pack, etc., etc. Nothing is better than being smoke free.

The E-Cig is a little counter-productive, I feel like.

Try using blow pops for the times youre craving a smoke. Cravings last for only 3 minutes.

Guest JizzDumpWI

Quit June 1984. Was 2 to 3 pack a day up to then. You can do it Tiger, you too pop.

Things I did that helped... For the first few weeks I cut up carrot and celery sticks to cigarette size and "smoked" them when my hands needed something to do. Second, I explored my earliest recollections of smoking and made some interesting discoveries about smoking and my perception of masculinity. I started intentionally focusing on hot guys who did not smoke. I used nicarette gum for just a couple of weeks so as to not replace one addiction with another.

I quit alcohol about ten years later, December 1994.

• 2 weeks later...

Today makes four weeks since I've had a cigarette.  I'm enjoying being a nonsmoker again.  I'm not thinking about smoking all the time now.  It does get easier.  I just have to always remember that there is no such thing as having just one cigarette.  That is always my downfall.  But I'm doing it.  And it feels good.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I finally made it through my first month and now on my second.  I have learned a lot and I think the most important is to take it a day at a time as that is all we have.  My journey with this addiction is not over I realize that, but breaking it down t is day by day is so much easier.  So pat myself on the back for the first month and keep on truckin, looking forward to writing that I completed my second month.

Take care all and remember a day at a time as that is all we have.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Well it's been two months now and still smoke free. During that time I have realized many things , you will never quit your addiction unless you really want to, the addiction is always there it us up to you if you choose to let it come forth. We do not choose addictions rather they find our weak spots and we give in. This has been a real learning process for me, taken a long time but am grateful I realized the damage I was doing to myself by continuing smoking, a lot of the damage is done but why give in to it further, so for this reason I am thrilled to be entering my third month and realize my addiction to smoking will never be over, I will always crave that one cigarette after a fine dinner or with my cup of morning coffee, but it will be my choice this time if I give in not the addiction that controls me at this point, but I am always aware of those weak moments and do my best to push them away and take my mind onto something else. Thanks for reading

• Upvote 1