Doctor Talks Condoms To Cumdump

During my routine check up with my HIV doctor today, he told me once again that I should be using condoms, even if I am undetectable. He said he was afraid I could get a drug resistant strain of HIV. I asked him if he had any advice for someone who only has bareback sex. He just repeated his advice to use a condom. 

What do you guys think about this exchange? Is he burying his head in the sand, not wanting to acknowledge that lots of guys have bare sex? What about the drug resistant strain of HIV? Should doctors give these talks to someone they know is a cumdump? Should they provide other forms of advice for cumdumps like me?

I think he's saying what is pretty much required for him to say. I've gotten the same safe-sex lecture more than once from my doctors over the years.

Not much different than a doctor telling a patient to eat right and exercise. It's simply advice. I'd rather hear it because it means my doctor cares enough about my health to mention it, even if he knows I don't agree.

• Upvote 2

Is your doctor gay?  If not you might want to consider finding a gay doctor who would likely be more understanding of another gay mans need for seed and not bore you with a lecture that is obviously falling on deaf ears.  My doctor is gay and while I am not a "cumdump" he does not lecture condoms, condoms and nothing else.  Your doctor should be giving you at least some hard reduction advice, or something other than use condoms when you freely admit that you don't and won't.

he's gay, yes. 

Not gay enough :P Think its time for a new doctor...or if you like him as your doctor, just lie and say you are using condoms. Clearly, he will never understand. And I dunno if i could ever say the word "cumdump" around a doctor with a straight face lol

And what the Hell is a drug resistant strain of HIV? Sounds like something he invented to scare the shit out of you, like a form of Mega AIDS or something. I thought every form of HIV can be treated with drugs.

• Upvote 2

And what the Hell is a drug resistant strain of HIV? Sounds like something he invented to scare the shit out of you, like a form of Mega AIDS or something. I thought every form of HIV can be treated with drugs.

Could be. I don't know enough to know what he's referring to. Maybe someone else does? I have heard about being infected with more than one strain of HIV, but I don't know how common this is. Again, maybe someone else knows?

If you are determined to be a cumdump, then that suggests you are pretty much ok with whatever drug resistant strain you may get, right? I'm not sure how asking complete strangers on such a forum is going to yield much in the way of cold, hard facts. 

I've mentioned already on another thread that asking your doctor to validate your choice to be a cumdump is not very realistic. Sure they shouldn't lecture you about condoms but health care professionals are not there to encourage you to take such risks. 

Just tell your doctor you occasionally have unsafe sex or you "slip up" from time to time and ask him to check you for all the nasties. No need to change doctors; by the way, I did have a gay doctor once. And he was about as judgmental as they come. I eventually moved on.

• Upvote 1

he's gay, yes. 

Uptight judgemental gay I  guess.

Could be. I don't know enough to know what he's referring to. Maybe someone else does? I have heard about being infected with more than one strain of HIV, but I don't know how common this is. Again, maybe someone else knows?

from what  I have read  its rare to get a superinfection http://caps.ucsf.edu/archives/factsheets/superinfection

Sometimes if a guy's sloppy about adherence to meds (or is dealing with another infection such as another STI or general infection) his virus can become resistant to one or more of the meds. Usually this only happens with one medication our of the three or four most guys with HIV take. For the guy whose virus has developed resistance to a drug, the answer is to change drugs. If he's passed on the virus (often resistance is first noticed by the viral load increasing, so that he becomes more infectious) then the guy who picks it up will have the resistant virus, which is why when someone's diagnosed positive, they do a resistance test. This tells them which drugs (if any) the virus is resistant to, and the drug combination is tailored to fit. It's worth noting that HIV tends to the wild type in the long run, which means that after a break of some years, a particular drug may be re-used.

Superinfection, as seaguy noted above, is rare: think about it. Someone's on ARVs and takes a poz load containing another virus type. All HIV is vulnerable to the same drugs, so the guy's existing prescription is going to knock out the new virus, pretty much the same way that truvada does.

During my routine check up with my HIV doctor today, he told me once again that I should be using condoms, even if I am undetectable. He said he was afraid I could get a drug resistant strain of HIV. I asked him if he had any advice for someone who only has bareback sex. He just repeated his advice to use a condom. 

What do you guys think about this exchange? Is he burying his head in the sand, not wanting to acknowledge that lots of guys have bare sex? What about the drug resistant strain of HIV? Should doctors give these talks to someone they know is a cumdump? Should they provide other forms of advice for cumdumps like me?

Id say find a new doctor.  Ironically in my search for a decent doctor, I found that the younger doctor's are usually more judgmental, and harder to deal with.  In contrast the older doctors who have been around, try to give good general life advice, and help the person out.  Some doctors will see bareback sex as the same or worse as a bad drug addiction, and for someone treating their HIV or on PrEP, thats just not the case.

I'm honest with my doctor, and all he says is well, you should still use condoms, but its good you are coming in here, and keeping track of your health.  Same thing for a good friend who lives anonymous sex.  He told his doctor that, and while it wasn't a "good for you!" response, it was, "okay, how do we work around this, and lets make sure you keep on top of your health"  In stark contrast my friend had a bout of depression, and stopped taking his meds for a couple months.  Now for that his doctor was PISSED, and really drilled it into his head in multiple ways how bad that could be for his health.  It worked.  IMO thats a good doctor.  Stick to the stuff that's the most relevant.  If you are a 350lb alcoholic that smokes a pack a day, any good doctor is most likely going to tell you to quit smoking first, lose weight second, and stop drinking last.  Same goes with HIV treatment, HIV treatment is first, other health conditions second, lifestyle choices without serious health consequences third.       

• Upvote 2

Sometimes if a guy's sloppy about adherence to meds (or is dealing with another infection such as another STI or general infection) his virus can become resistant to one or more of the meds. Usually this only happens with one medication our of the three or four most guys with HIV take. For the guy whose virus has developed resistance to a drug, the answer is to change drugs. If he's passed on the virus (often resistance is first noticed by the viral load increasing, so that he becomes more infectious) then the guy who picks it up will have the resistant virus, which is why when someone's diagnosed positive, they do a resistance test. This tells them which drugs (if any) the virus is resistant to, and the drug combination is tailored to fit. It's worth noting that HIV tends to the wild type in the long run, which means that after a break of some years, a particular drug may be re-used.

Superinfection, as seaguy noted above, is rare: think about it. Someone's on ARVs and takes a poz load containing another virus type. All HIV is vulnerable to the same drugs, so the guy's existing prescription is going to knock out the new virus, pretty much the same way that truvada does.

Thanks bearbandit. This is helpful! I do feel a little bit like my HIV doctor keeps information from me, like the likelihood of superinfection. My General Practitioner has said that there are other HIV clinics if I ever want to switch to a different one (she's an awesome GP). But switching is a hassle, and no guarantee the problem will repeat itself. I guess I could ask around about good HIV doctors for cumdumps, but I don't find myself talking to other cumdumps a lot about it. I'll stay with this doctor for now, unless I hear about something better.