Part 30 - The Mists of March

Two years after brought everyone to back together for the wedding of Dexter of Alberto in Atlanta where Dexter had now set up home with Alberto. Dexter had sent two flight tickets to his parents inviting them, he was unsure initially if they would come but here they were sitting in the front row more out of curiosity than anything. The unconventional ceremony where Dexter and Alberto would walk together behind the two ring bearers, Nathan who was 9 years old and the 7 year old Mateo. Carrington acting as Alberto's best man and Conrad as Dexter's. Reaching the top Mateo turned and waved to his father and took his other father's, Carrington's hand. Charlie smiled and waved back whilst Nathan walked round and held hands with  Charlie his other father, he turned and waved to his uncles Conrad and Harry whom he adored so much.

Adopted by Carrington and Charlie six months ago and the process helped along by Charlie's involvement at the Children's hospital. Joyce had approached Charlie one evening asking if they were considering adoption and the following day he and Carrington went with Joyce to the foster home and took the boys a couple of weekends then every weekend and finally six months ago they formally adopted them. It wasn't all plain sailing, Nathan would sit there quietly half expecting any day to be moved on to another home. When the boys were taken to England Nathan spent much time with Conrad helping him in the gardens of the manor whilst Mateo learnt to swim with Charlie in the pool. Nathan had been in foster care all his life moving from one family to another or spending time at the home and he ad given up on a family adopting him. The transition to a family life really only hit home after spending time with his uncle that Conrad insisted he should call him did Nathan realise that this time it looked like the real deal. He had always remained a little distant with Charlie and Carrington shying away from affection.  When Carrington returned from work he would send Mateo in to the gardens to find his brother. Mateo had immediately bonded with his new parents and even though Nathan found him a little overbearing at times they soon became close and he loved having a little brother. On the the return flight from their first visit to England Carrington and Charlie were still anxious about Nathan settling in. He sat next to Carrington on the flight and glanced over at Charlie and Mateo who were playing games on the in flight entertainment system. Slowly unbuckling his seat belt he climbed over the seat sitting on Carrington's lap cuddling him, Carrington smiled and kissed him on the head then put on some cartoons that they watched together until Nathan fell asleep snuggled up against Carrington. Charlie looked over and Carrington and smiled then down at Mateo who was stretched out on his seat fast asleep. The two boys loved their Friday night sleep overs with their grandfathers and would play for hours around the grounds of Barclay House with them. Charlie and Carrington would turn up on Saturday morning joining them for breakfast then spending the day all together. Keeping them grounded was a challenge since Mason and Rico loved to spoil them as did Charlie's parents whenever they took them over to Australia.

Life as everyone knew it settled down in to routines and time floated by, Adam and Jamal were married but there was still a little bit of bed hopping going on with the exception of Carrington who still only had eyes for Charlie. Alberto fell in love with England on his first visit with Dexter especially Hibiscus drive and they would often form a foursome with Harry and Conrad. It was early March two years after Dexter and Alberto got married that events took a turn. Simon and Sean had brought a little place in San Francisco having fallen in love with the city and spent much of their time between there and Sardinia. Caught up in an incident Simon took a bullet in the crossfire and fell instantly to the ground, Sean was by his side when he passed away late Thursday evening.

Conrad stepped out on the terrace looking at the mist that lied low over the manor grounds, the sun just visible through the mist he kissed Harry good bye on his way to the office. Conrad shivered dressed only in a t-shirt and boxers. Felix walked outside with Beth who was in tears, he studied the look on Felix's face and suddenly going all cold he knew something bad had happened. Before Felix could muster up to tell him Moham's helicopter suddenly appeared making a dangerous landing through the mist. Conrad looked back at Felix 'Simon?' he asked and Felix nodded wiping his eyes. Moham came running up on to the terrace, Conrad dropped his cup going numb from fingers to toes, Moham rushed over putting his arms around Conrad holding him tightly.

Mason answered the phone sleepily and listened sitting up in bed, Charlie in the background was obviously distressed concerned about Conrad. Rico realised something was wrong and quickly up to speed he called for the private jet and to prepare for a flight to the England. He was called back within half an hour advising they had a slot secured at Farnborough airport. Within two hours Carrington, Charlie, Dexter and Alberto were in the air having dropped the boys off at their grandfathers. Back at Hibiscus Adam and Harry had arrived back and found Conrad being comforted by Jamal, Moham was busy on the phone and walked in telling them the body was being flown home as they spoke and Sean is accompanying him. The call that Moham dreaded he would have to make to the solicitors was made and he took over power of attorney until the will was read. He now faced the task of calling Simon's mother Sally to pass on the news. Simon had pre-warned Moham that his family would show up. The next couple of days were hard for everyone but Conrad was fairing okay having gone through this Jack he was made of sterner stuff despite only being 25 now. Conrad and Charlie spent many hours walking and talking in the gardens, his words almost signifying this was the end of his life at the manor and doing the work he loved most. It was strange since the manor had become a focal point where everyone met up or stayed when they got together.

They walked back up to house hearing several cars pulling up in to the driveway. Inside the front doors opened and Sally walked in with her interior designer, dressed in a black dress with a small hat and pathetic attempt at a veil.

"Start drawing up plans to make this more like a an opulent house" Sally said.
"What are you doing in my sons house?" Sally demanded to know looking at Conrad and Charlie.
Conrad stared at her "I live here I am, was his gardener" he replied.
"Yes was, get out of my house now" Sally said walking past him, "And take any others that are here".

Charlie took his arm and led him upstairs quickly packing his and Harry's clothes they left the manor heading back to number 8. Despite all the arguing that went on between Sally and Simon's solicitors over where he was to be buried she had no say in the matter and he was to be laid to rest next to Jack in the church yard down the road. Moham gave instructed Sally that she was not to touch anything in the manor until after the reading, he was also keeping them all updated and things moved pretty quickly. She acted with a little more dignity at the funeral with her two daughters and son all in their 50's by her side. Only Simon's brother appeared to be upset, the others showed no emotion and immediately turned to leave after the coffin was lowered waiting by the car impatiently to talk to Moham who stood with the guys. Conrad laid fresh flowers on Jack's grave and kissed the headstone then dropped several Hibiscus flowers in to Simon's grave, just as he done with Jack, one for every year they had known each other. Sally wanted the will reading done but Moham was not playing ball with her and she got more and more irritated the longer he took. She sat through the wake which lasted several hours before the solicitors gathered everyone ushering them to the dining room. Sally stopped Conrad at the door reminding him he was the gardener so not welcome at the will reading. Moham coaxed her aside allowing Conrad in, he didn't take a dislike to people that often but Conrad could see why Simon had no time for his mother and how she walked around so smug, his sisters pushing past everyone else taking seats around the table. Conrad sat on a chair at the back of the room with Harry and everyone else.

Moham handed over to the solicitor who started the proceeding "I am instructed by Simon Burge on the event of his death to hand power of attorney to Raheem Mohammed Jazeer until the will reading and his assets have been distributed. It is the with diligence and medical evidence as witnessed by Raheem Mohammed Jazeer and my solicitors that my bequests are made in a sound state of mind. Contesting any element of my will will result in said benefactor stripped of any entitlement of any part of my estate or claim upon my estate with immediate effect, the stripped asset will return to my main beneficiary. As part of this and prior to any distribution of assets my solicitors will now hand out a declaration prohibiting them from raising any legal challenges, until these are signed the reading will not commence".

The solicitor stopped whilst his assistant handed out the declarations to Simon's immediate family, Conrad, Carrington, Sean, Charlie, Adam, Dexter, Jamal, Felix and Beth. He looked at Simon's mother reminding her that the reading was dependent on them agreeing to the declaration. With reluctance she signed pushing the document over. The assistant collected and verified all the documents then nodded to the solicitor.

"No doubt my family were last to sign but what I have done is protect those I love dearly and those who have become friends and part of my life. To my brother Eric I leave £10 million, my sisters Louise and Amy I leave £1 million each. To my mother I leave you with the same amount of love you gave me over the years which is hard to put in terms of value so I bequeath you £1 million that I have donated on your behalf to a HIV charity as I know that will upset the hell out of you".

The solicitor stopped reading at the gasps in the room as she stood up shouting that this was an outrage, Eric told his mother to shut up and sit down. The solicitor picked up the next page.

"To Felix and Beth who served me faithfully over the years I leave £10 million and hope they will stay on and care for the new owners and look after them much as the did for myself. To my gardener Jamal £5 million, to Dexter the only person I know who had ever made to my two favourite people quiver I leave £5 million. To Charlie who I admired for his brave decisions the sum of £50 million plus an additional £1 million to Nathan and Mateo to be held in a trust until they are 21. To Carrington I leave my equity in IntecSolutions making you co-owner with Moham along with all my numerous other share holdings. To Adam my trusted friend the sum of £50 million. To Sean who I had grown to love so much I leave you our house in San Francisco and £50 million. To Harry I leave £50 million. Hibiscus Manor I leave to Conrad and Harry, two people who gave me so much happiness and friendship over the years. A housekeeping fund of £50 million to be available for the management and maintenance of the manor. The villa in Sardinia I leave a housekeeping fund of £50 million and ownership split between Conrad, Adam, Charlie and Dexter. I expect that each year on the anniversary of my death you will all meet here at the manor to celebrate my life and retain the friendships you have all built together. Finally to Conrad who annoyed the hell out of me but I loved him like my own son I leave the remainder of my assets including my personal wealth and belongings as my main beneficiary".

There was silence in the room as the solicitor finished reading and Conrad sat there stunned for a moment trying to take in what it meant, he noticed Simon's family were all looking at him, only his mother and sisters looked angry.

"The fucking gardener" Sally stood up angrily, "He left everything to the fucking gardener!".
Eric stood grabbing his mother's arm "Enough it is done" he said.
"Oh this is not over" Sally said shaking her arm free, "We will contest it, I want what is ours".
She looked at her children. "No mother we won't" Eric replied and his sisters agreed.
Banging her fist down on the table she screamed "Dirty bunch of fucking cock suckers".
Eric stood up "That is why he left you nothing" he said angrily.

Picking her bag up and storming out of the room shouting profanities at Conrad and slamming the door behind her that was one person Conrad was glad to see the back of.

"I'm so sorry" Eric said walking over and shaking Conrad's hand, "She has a bit of a temper".
Conrad stood up embarrassed by it all "I didn't ask for any of this" he said.
Eric smiled "I know, Simon already warned me who he was leaving everything to".
"Oh" Conrad replied, "He never really talked about his family".
Eric nodded "Simon loved you so much Conrad, I'm glad I finally got meet you in person" he said.
"Sorry" Conrad said fighting his emotions and leaving the room.

He walked out on to the terrace taking a deep breath to steady himself, he had naturally assumed that the bulk of Simon's wealth was held in shares so didn't dwell on things to much. He looked up at the manor feeling a massive wave of sadness running through his body and unable to believe that Harry and he now owned it. His thoughts interrupted seeing Moham walking out the terrace in his direction.

"The money has been transferred to your bank account in Monte Carlo" Moham informed him.
"Money?" Conrad asked slightly confused at Moham.
Moham patted Conrad on the shoulder "His personal wealth was over £2 billion Conrad".
Conrad just stood staring at Moham who smiled "Conrad you are disgustingly rich" he laughed.
Conrad gulped hearing those words "Why Moham, why did he leave it all to me?" he asked.
Moham smiled "You meant more to Simon than anyone after Jack died" he replied.
"I see" Conrad said looking up at the manor again.
"What will you do?" Moham asked, "Are you going to live here?".
"Yes" Conrad replied immediately looking at him, "It is the only place I could ever consider home".
"Good, Felix and Beth were a little worried" Moham advised him.
"But they are wealthy now as well" Conrad said, "They could do anything they want".
Moham put his arm around Conrad "True, but like you their life is Hibiscus Drive".
"Oh shit" Conrad said sighing, "What the hell do I do with all that money then".
"Come on lets go inside, firstly make sure your family is taken care of" Moham said.

Felix and Beth were overjoyed when Conrad expected them to stay, plus he figured he might need a bodyguard like Simon had in Felix and he also gave them instructions to recruit one person each to help take some their workload and enjoy and little more downtime. The following day Conrad went up to the church still trying to make sense of the previous day. He saw the lonely figure of Sean sat there on the damp grass his devastation clear to see.

"Sean!" Conrad said sitting down to him.
He put his arm around Conrad "Why Conrad, everything was going so well" he said.
Conrad kissed him on the lips and hugged him "I know" he said.
"Harry and I want you to come and live at the manor with us" Conrad said holding his hand.
Sean looked at him "Are you sure, I mean it is your home" he replied wiping his eyes.
"Yes" Conrad said, "I mean we spent so much time together when you was here with Simon".
"Thanks Conrad" Sean said standing.
Harry walked up behind them "Come home you two" he said.

Life just seemed to tick on, despite everyone wealthy in their own right it was like nothing had changed. Conrad was down in the grounds creating some new flower beds with Jamal, Charlie and Carrington had flown over with the children and Carrington had taken them to Thorpe Park for the day giving Charlie some much needed time with Conrad. Charlie was sat on the grass watching his twin and Jamal reminding him to leave a patch for his nephew Nathan when Moham's helicopter suddenly appeared and touched down. Conrad walked over to greet to Moham and he could still see two people sat in the helicopter.

"Conrad, Sorry to drop in like this" Moham said kissing him on the cheek.
"That's okay" Conrad said, "You are always welcome".
"Someone in the helicopter needs to speak to you" Moham said carefully gauging him.
"Oh, who?" Conrad asked.

Moham waved and the figure of Joshua appeared followed by the man he saw in Ireland, Tanner. Moham touched Conrad's shoulder in a don't worry gesture. Charlie and Jamal stood up immediately walking over and Sean who had been cleaning the pool appeared, seeing the worried looks on Charlie and Jamal's face he strode across the lawn with a purpose. Conrad stared at him, his hair longer and his body seemed even more fitter than he remembered. Moham held his hand out to stop the others watching Conrad take a few steps forward.

"Conrad" Joshua said stopping a few meters away.
Conrad eyes him cautiously "Who are we today Joshua or Gary?" he asked.
Joshua lowered his head slightly "Joshua I have formally adopted the name" he said.

The kids came screaming across the lawn arriving back from their day out and seeing the helicopter, Carrington calling after them to stop. Charlie turned and walked over to his sons holding them back for a moment telling them to wait. Joshua looked on a little perplexed to children being here.

"Can we talk?" Joshua asked, "I owe you a massive apology" he said.
Conrad looked around then back at him "You lost your accent" he said inviting Joshua to walk.

Conrad lead the way up to the manor and Joshua nodded to Charlie passing him by and looking at the children, his face expressionless and almost in shame he lowered his head turning away.

"Never thought I would see this place again" Joshua said looking up at the manor.
They entered the lounge "I came to see you in Ireland" Conrad said sitting down.
"You did?" Joshua asked sounding surprised.
Conrad nodded "I had to make sure that you was okay" he replied, "Hell knows why though".
Joshua sat down "You care to much about people" he said, "I really did love you".
"Did you?" Conrad replied, "I was in love with you Josh, but my heart was always gone to Harry".
Joshua almost smiled. "You seem so different Josh" Conrad said studying him.
"I feel different and importantly I understand what drove me to do the things I did" Joshua replied.

Felix walked past the door every 10 minutes to listen and could hear them talking. Beth had taken the children and was cooking them some dinner keeping them out of the way, the others sat in the formal room on edge listening and being reassured by Tanner and bringing Sean up to speed on who he was.

After and hour talking Conrad stood up "Will you stay for dinner?" he asked.
"I don't think you want me in your life again Con" Joshua replied, "I just wanted to apologise".
Conrad looked at him "You are part of me Josh, it was you who converted me".
Joshua looked down shaking his head. "I don't hate you for what you did" Conrad said, "Hate is not in me".
Joshua smiled finally relaxing and Conrad walked over and hugged him "Thank you Con" he said.
"You still spending the nights in this place?" Joshua asked.
"Ah, sort of" Conrad replied, "Harry and I own the manor now" he said.

There was no doubt in Conrad's mind that this was a completely different person who seemed to have let go of whatever had been hiding inside him. Joshua stayed for dinner with Moham and Tanner meeting everyone and being brought up to speed on how things had changed since the night he was taken away. He was genuinely pleased for Charlie and how he had made a completely new life for himself with Carrington and their children. Charlie and Joshua patched things up and he joked with Carrington that he never wanted to get on his bad side ever again. Joshua walked down to the helicopter and Sean ran up to him handing him his number.

"Hey if you are interested I would like to take you out on a date" Sean said.
Joshua smiled and kissed him on the cheek "Yeah I would like that" he said.
Sean stepped closer and quickly kissed him on the mouth "God you are sexy" he said stepping back.

Joshua turned to wave good bye then stopped smiling at Sean before stepping up in to the helicopter. Conrad looked at Sean who had a very genuine smile on his face for the first time since Simon's death. Conrad held Sean's hand squeezing it firmly, Joshua became a regular visitor and finally moved to San Francisco with Sean building their own lives but always coming back to the manor several times a year. Nathan and Mateo watched from the window as the helicopter flew off and Carrington called them back in to bed so he could finish the bedtime story before uncle Conrad and Harry came in to say good night. The boys rushed over jumping on to the bed and flinging themselves at Carrington. Charlie walked in and tucked Nathan up then sat on his bed whilst Carrington carried on reading.

Sean went off to the lounge and Harry grabbed Conrad's hand "Strange year so far" he said.
Conrad looked at Harry and smiled "Sometimes it is still hard to believe".
Harry kissed him "Do you think it is going to change anyone?" he asked.
"Nah" Conrad replied, "I think everyone is happy just as they are, even Sean looks happier".
Harry laughed "Yeah, I mean that Joshua is fucking hot" he said dreamily.
"He is, but that is one person I never want to sleep with again" Conrad said.

They walked up the stairs together and entered the boys bedroom just as Carrington closed he book. Mateo jumping up and standing on the bed holding his arms out. Conrad and Harry grabbed an arm each and swung him back and forth then finally in to bed giggling, they kissed him good night on the head.

Conrad went round to Nathan "Get some sleep you have a busy day tomorrow with your bit of garden".
"Ah neat, my own bit the garden. Thanks" Nathan said smiling and hugging Conrad then Harry.
They walked out of the bedroom and Harry looked at Conrad "You want one don't you?" he asked.
Conrad chuckled "What about two boys?" he replied half expecting Harry to freak.
Harry shook his head then smiled "I think 3, put a bit of life back in to this place".
"I still haven't forgot that you punched me Harry" Conrad said smiling and looking in his eyes.
Harry chuckled rubbing Conrad's arse "Stop being such a cock tease then".

Conrad pulled Harry in to his arms and kissed him standing at the top of the stairs framed by the grand arched window that looked down Hibiscus Drive. 

• Like 16
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

a wonderful story throughout, and the final chapter did bring a tear to my eye.

You are a great writer, something i would suggest you pursue professionally, my own stories though i think are 'ok' are put in the pale by your writing, well done fella, just wonderful story telling x

• Like 2

Thanks, for the ride, I just loved the story from the beginning to the end, understand it had to end sometime but will miss the life on Hibiscus Drive.

Just to put a bit pressure on you. I am looking forward to your new story because you will start a new one right.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, slutviking said:

5 months of ups and downs in Hibiscus Drive has come to a wonderful conclusion.  Thank you for a fantastic journey and have a nice x-mass Losolent.

You have a great Christmas as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BBottom28 said:

Thanks, for the ride, I just loved the story from the beginning to the end, understand it had to end sometime but will miss the life on Hibiscus Drive.

Just to put a bit pressure on you. I am looking forward to your new story because you will start a new one right.

Probably....

• Like 1

Thanks again for a wonderful story. Can't believe I have been following the adventures of these guys and the story developments for 6 months! The right mix of romance and sex. On the one hand it's sad we won't read about the guys anymore but on the other hand I am sure a new story will come along some day with equally likeable and hot guys 😉 

• Like 1