The Odds of an Undetecable Man Pozzing a Neg Boy

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

From what I understand, a viral load count measures only the amount of virus in the blood--an undetectable lab result doesn't mean that his load is virus free.

Then again it all comes down to the law of averages; if the risk is 1:10,000, then the more you get bred, the greater the overall risk. I was always awful with statistics.

If you're worried, you could probably talk to your doctor about post-exposure prophylaxis....in any event, do what you want as long as you understand whatever risks might be involved...in which case you ought to push him on his back and ride that cock like it's going out of style.

I thought I read (please don't claim the following as fact--I'm just trying to recall something that came across my radar a few years ago, but the details are dusty) that while on Atripla, HIV is undetectable in most mens blood and semen. However, there are still HIV alive and thriving in the bone marrow, and that for some reason, stress, other illnesses, etc. this HIV can start multiplying once again and become detectable, albeit not over long periods of time.

So lets say you have a physical stress that causes the HIV to thrive once again, even for a 36-48 hour period, and this was the time period you were barebacking and swapping rigs, etc., you could infect someone. And still be undetectable the next time you got your blood work done.

There is a reason that the medical community says we're undetectable, not cured. There's more to learn about all auto immune disorders.

Healthcare worker here, this is the latest information i could find based on an actual study. Published April 3, 2012

"Undetectable viral loads in blood is not a guarantee that HIV is also undetectable in semen, according to a new study involving 101 HIV-positive men who have sex with men (MSM) conducted in Boston and published online ahead of print by the journal AIDS. Of the 83 men with undetectable virus in blood samples, roughly a quarter of them—21 MSM in total—had semen with detectable HIV."

“Until more information on transmission risk in MSM is available,” they write, “it would be prudent to advise sexually active HIV-infected MSM to use condoms and other risk-reduction strategies throughout all stages of HIV disease regardless of HIV treatment status.”

you can read the whole article on the study here: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_semen_transmission_1667_22190.shtml

To be specific the CDC in Atlanta released a statement in July of 2012 that said that a positive person on meds who is undetectable reduces his risk of infecting others by 96%. Condoms are 97% effective, so either way, there is always some risk. If the undetectable person is the bottom, then risk to the top is even less. Twistedbbbottom, you ask good questions. Poz guys on meds are probably safer to bb with than guys who haven't been tested, don't care, or refuse meds. Also, if a guy says he is undetectable, he will have paperwork to prove it within the past three months. Stay neg as long as you can.