I finally have an appointment to get my 1st dose tomorrow. I'm hoping it doesn't delay getting the next COVID booster (I haven't yet received a notification that I'm eligible for the updated booster) if I need to get it as well.  I'm hopeful that I will be traveling quite a bit at the end of the year, and would like to maximize my protection.

My # 1 and I both got our second mokeypox vax this week in Prince William Co Virginia, from the local health dept.  Yay PWC!  Exburbs of DC   

1) They said wait 30 days before getting another vax, covid or flu.

2) Both of us had reactions on the second shot. Both of us had swelling and itching at the vax site, as well as overall weird skin like scars looking more pronounced. He was also down for a day with flu like symptoms. Neither of us had any reactions whatsoever to any of the 4 covid vax we have taken. (2 @ J&J, 2 @ Moderna).   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWUSHorny said:

I finally have an appointment to get my 1st dose tomorrow. I'm hoping it doesn't delay getting the next COVID booster (I haven't yet received a notification that I'm eligible for the updated booster) if I need to get it as well.  I'm hopeful that I will be traveling quite a bit at the end of the year, and would like to maximize my protection.

No need to wait for a notification.

Everyone is eligible for the new Covid booster as long as its 2 months since your last Covid booster.

Long lines here and I suspect my locality will run out as demand is WAY up this month.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:16 AM, Justyn said:

Who cares!  It was 50 years ago!  Those people are probably dead by now.

Silly stuff to be posted on a site that flaunts disease sharing and drug use (all of which I agree with and have fun with).

Excuse me?! I'm very much alive thank you very much!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I live just north of Baltimore.

I’ve been on a waiting list for 2 months to get the Monkey Pox vaccine. Friends of mine in large gay populaces like Ft. Lauderdale, New York City, Palm Spring, San Francisco have all had their vaccine shots though some of my buddies in New York said that they had to jump through some hoops to get theirs.

What the fuck is the problem with getting this vaccine distributed ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pig4Fucking said:

What the fuck is the problem with getting this vaccine distributed ?

The problem is the limited supply, pure and simple; demand far exceeds supply. As a result, distributions have been prioritized to date based on population of vulnerable individuals, ease of reaching them (via established local distribution channels), and so forth.

As supplies increase over the course of this fall, access should become considerably easier.

Baltimore is by no means a small city (it's 30th largest in the U.S.), but that doesn't mean its demographics necessarily make it a highest-priority monkeypox vaccination site. That said, it's possible that your state government (which is primarily responsible for determining allocations within the state after the feds make an allocation available to each state) may be mishandling distribution.

7 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

The problem is the limited supply, pure and simple; demand far exceeds supply. As a result, distributions have been prioritized to date based on population of vulnerable individuals, ease of reaching them (via established local distribution channels), and so forth.

As supplies increase over the course of this fall, access should become considerably easier.

Baltimore is by no means a small city (it's 30th largest in the U.S.), but that doesn't mean its demographics necessarily make it a highest-priority monkeypox vaccination site. That said, it's possible that your state government (which is primarily responsible for determining allocations within the state after the feds make an allocation available to each state) may be mishandling distribution.

The ever shrinking city of Baltimore (was #6 largest when I was born)  has a high rate of hiv, stds though so one would think there would have been more available than the 100 vaccines initially available (I kid you not). When I was in Palm Springs last month they had clinics with ready supplies. Hell, I was staying at C.C.B.C. and they literally had a clinic set up in the goddamn parking lot the day I was checking out. I inquired about getting it and was told that one had to be a California resident in order to take advantage of receiving the vaccine. Another observation was that there wasn’t a huge line and I witnessed men arriving and were whisked through the process after confirming their appointments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pig4Fucking said:

The ever shrinking city of Baltimore (was #6 largest when I was born)  has a high rate of hiv, stds though so one would think there would have been more available than the 100 vaccines initially available (I kid you not). When I was in Palm Springs last month they had clinics with ready supplies. Hell, I was staying at C.C.B.C. and they literally had a clinic set up in the goddamn parking lot the day I was checking out. I inquired about getting it and was told that one had to be a California resident in order to take advantage of receiving the vaccine. Another observation was that there wasn’t a huge line and I witnessed men arriving and were whisked through the process after confirming their appointments.

But high HIV rates don't necessarily correlate to high monkeypox susceptibility. For instance, to the extent that HIV levels are high because of drug use and/or M/F prostitution, as opposed to MSM, monkeypox would naturally be expected to be much lower in transmission than HIV. For another, new HIV infections have plummeted nationwide since the introduction of PrEP, meaning that having a high HIV caseload doesn't necessarily correspond to having a high local infection rate; caseload could reflect a legacy of old cases rather than an ongoing infection problem.

I think your example about Palm Springs illustrates the state/local issue I was talking about. California got more doses than Maryland to start with, because CA has many times the number of people that Maryland has; and they've undoubtedly prioritized getting doses into areas where there's a high level of partner change, which is where STIs tend to spread rapidly. Places with lots of sex parties and similar events are going to have more infections simply because one infected person is much more likely to spread it to several people, who will in turn spread it to many others. As such, Palm Springs is a hotspot that CA would want to target, and places like CCBC are exactly where they'd want to set up to reach as many of them as possible.

In other words, it's not that CA has so much monkeypox vaccine available that they can set up everywhere, even at places like CCBC; it's that places like this offer the state the most bang for the buck, so to speak, in reaching vulnerable people.

I'm not aware of any similar place in Baltimore that could/should be targeted by the health department for vaccine distribution, though of course I'm not familiar with all the places one might go there. If there is a place where you could reach similar numbers of high-risk people, though, that's probably something that could be shared with the health department there.

• Like 1

Pig4, you need to inquire with your county health department! Even in blue California, red counties (particularly rural counties) have been extremely slow in making the Monkey 🐒 Pox vaccine available. A good buddy of mine lives in a central valley (red) California county. He contacted his county health department directly and spoke to their so-called Monkey Pox coordinator. He got the usual bullshit!! Only when he went to the local newspaper and spoke to some of their reporters did he get a call back from his county helath department inviting him to come in for his vaccination.  In otherwords, boyfriend, you need to "rattle the cage" or you'll be waiting forever!!! "The squeaky wheel get's the grease!!!!!!" Always has, always will.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, backpackguy said:

Pig4, you need to inquire with your county health department! Even in blue California, red counties (particularly rural counties) have been extremely slow in making the Monkey 🐒 Pox vaccine available. A good buddy of mine lives in a central valley (red) California county. He contacted his county health department directly and spoke to their so-called Monkey Pox coordinator. He got the usual bullshit!! Only when he went to the local newspaper and spoke to some of their reporters did he get a call back from his county helath department inviting him to come in for his vaccination.  In otherwords, boyfriend, you need to "rattle the cage" or you'll be waiting forever!!! "The squeaky wheel get's the grease!!!!!!" Always has, always will.

Funny you should say that. I called the county’s Board of Health Dept this afternoon and (nicely) raised a little hell about the delay since I signed up 2 months ago and mentioned what I’ve witnessed elsewhere.  An hour later I received a phone call and now have my vaccine appointment scheduled ! 

“ Can you say ‘baby’ ? “
” Can you say ‘Jesus’ ? “

” Now, put them together and repeat after me, ‘baby Jesus’  ! “

CB0B1B11-7E50-4238-BEF0-7340E456CE9D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call. Find out where the doses are supposed to be given out and walk in.  If you don't push them, they'll never give you what you need.  We've shown that we want/need this vaccine. Make them give it to you.  I've been pissed off at the media lately with reports the "cases have been dropping steadily, for no apparent reason..."   Yes, there IS a reason, We're getting treated and being proactive, despite our healthcare providers!

• Like 2