Smoking And Hiv

TigerMilner

Right behind you Tiger, 8 months for me but I would have to say there have been days I would have done anything for a cigarette. Been under a lot of stress lately but am dealing with it, so far so good and hanging in there

I have had those days too. Both from stress or from hanging out with smokers. But I have managed not to give in and it gets easier to pass it up as time goes by. I know from all the times I've quit before, once for 9 years, that there is no such thing as having just one cigarette for me. I know that if I give in once, I might as well buy a carton because I will be smoking again. I can't do that. Not starting again is easier than quitting again.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys I'm afraid I have to humble myself and admit that I failed last night. It started while partying and I "shared" a cigarette with a buddy. That happened several more times. By late in the night I was bumming cigarettes and smoking them myself. I had a very stressful day today and I bought a pack. I smoked all day. I'm so disgusted with myself right now I want to cry. I blew over 10 months without a smoke. Damnit.

I have to get up tomorrow and start over.

• Upvote 1

Ok guys I'm afraid I have to humble myself and admit that I failed last night. It started while partying and I "shared" a cigarette with a buddy. That happened several more times. By late in the night I was bumming cigarettes and smoking them myself. I had a very stressful day today and I bought a pack. I smoked all day. I'm so disgusted with myself right now I want to cry. I blew over 10 months without a smoke. Damnit.

I have to get up tomorrow and start over.

Beating yourself up serves no purpose... Just get up tomorrow and start a "new day". Don't look back, our eyes are on the front of our heads for a reason.

:-)

I failed many times both in "not smoking" (15 years now) and drinking (almost 20 years)

• Upvote 1

As someone with a smoking fetish, I love to see handsome men smoke.  However, as someone who also values health, I have quit smoking several times.  My longest was 18 months.  The whole point of quitting is to reduce the intake of toxins.  Tiger, you quit for 10 months.  You relapsed for a couple of days.  Please, I beg of you, to celebrate the ten months you were toxin free.  Your days of relapse are nothing to concern you.  The length of time of non-smoking doesn't matter.  The only thing that matters is remaining toxin free, and you have done a great job.  You'll quit again, and that is great.  Please don't think you "blew" anything.  You enhanced your health for ten months, and you will continue to enhance your health sometime in the future, maybe tomorrow, or the next day, or whenever.  Don't be disgusted with yourself.  You're a human being, and you are imperfect like the rest of us, and you will work to make your life better.  Be kind to yourself.

• Upvote 1

I agree totally with lungfucker, don't be disgusted with yourself  , you were able to stop for 10 months, your human.  I find setting small goals has helped me more than anything, by that this time that I stopped which has been 9 months I set a goal of surpassing the longest time that I stopped  which was six months and I made it.  Now I just go month to month as like you Tiger there have been times when I would do anything for a cigarette ,yes anything................lol................I have found the month to month much easier to accept than saying never again, I have a calendar that I put a stroke through each day of every month, I have found it to be rewarding to look at all those strokes.  After saying all this I will not allow myself to say I will never have another cigarette, I may, I don't know, but for now this little trick works for me a day at a time.  One other thing I never use the word "quit smoking" I always say I have stopped now as I never know if I may start again and at this point saying I quit has a more permanent sound to it , so I am happy I surpassed my last goal of six months, you can do it Tiger

As lungfucker has said "Be kind to yourself"  but before you try stopping again wait until you know you can surpass the 10 months you just accomplished, no small feat I might add.  Be HAPPY about the 10 months your clothes did not smell, your hair, your car, your home, on and on, don't get me wrong I used to love smoking , it was like a friend to me but it was time for me to stop the writing was on the wall health wise.

• Upvote 1

I quit 32 days ago. I found an app called My Last Cigarette that helps keep me on track.  Since I quit smoking I have NOT smoked 638 cigarettes, there has been 306,000 deaths due to cigarettes and I've increased my life span 2 day and 18 minutes and a lot more than info than that also.

• Upvote 3

Well I went 4 days but had a date with a smoker last night, drank too much, and smoked probably 8-10 cigarettes. I can't count today as not smoking since I was with him til 5 am this morning. Tomorrow, day one, again. I need to stay away from smokers for a while. I can't fall back into this. It really upsets my kids when I smoke.

All we can do is encourage you Tiger, the rest has to come from you, don't ever be disappointed that you had some cigarettes , your not back smoking full time however once you get your mind focused on stopping it will be much easier, stress is a real distraction

• Upvote 1