Don't Be A Gay COVIDiot!

rawTOP

The idea of herd immunity as a way out of this is deeply unfashionable at the moment.  But whether it is a possible way forward or not depends entirely on the number of infections out there that are going unreported or even unnoticed.  And until we get an antibody test that actually works, that is something we cannot meaningfully quantify.  One estimate put the total number of Italians who might have had the virus at somewhere between 10 and 20 million.  Now if that were the case (sorry, I can’t remember the source!) then herd immunity is beginning to look like feasible, although it would take at least one more wave of infections like the one we’re currently seeing in Italy to get close.

A prolonged lockdown such as the one we’re experiencing in the UK now does not come without serious societal risks too, and I’m not sure how viable it is to keep people in a situation similar to house arrest for the next 18 months to two years, while we wait for a vaccine to become available (if indeed it does).

At that point, shielding the most vulnerable while we manage the virus in such a way to achieve some kind of herd immunity may well seem like a more attractive option.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, rawTOP said:

I thought about holding off on this story to see how it ends, but I think it's more important that it be told now…

This is something I saw on Twitter yesterday. I'm dumbfounded…

March 27th…

2020-03-27.jpg

So the guy is under "lockdown" (a stay-at-home order), and he's still hooking up – and proud enough of it to post it on Twitter.

March 31st…

4 days after the first hookup, he posts a video of another hookup.…

2020-03-31.jpg

April 3rd…

3 days after the 2nd hookup he posts pics and videos from yet another hookup…

2020-04-03.jpg

April 7th…

And then surprise, surprise…

2020-04-07.jpg

That's right… 3 hookups later he's in the hospital with COVID-19. He's stupid enough to think he's in the ICU when he's not – he's probably just in a ward with all COVID patients. If he were in ICU he'd have breathing support (either be intubated or be attached to a BiPAP machine).

Oh, and the kicker is he's calling the nurse a bitch and mocking the fact that she says she's tired!

I just want to strangle the guy.

If he reads this… "You're a fucking asshole. If karma doesn't catch up to you this time around, it will at some point. And guess what, I won't give a shit when it does."

People, seriously, be responsible! Hospitals are over capacity. People are dying. There's no cure. There isn't even a decent treatment. Even in the middle of the AIDS crisis hospitals could manage their core caseloads. This is a whole other order of magnitude above that pandemic.

It's gonna be a long time (probably years) before we're back to where we were before with big sex parties and crowded bathhouses. Even when the stay-at-home orders are lifted people will still need to be vigilant to avoid another peak of the pandemic. You'll need to focus on risk reduction – fewer partners, 1-on-1s, maybe sex in parks, maybe gloryholes. But being legs up in a bathhouse taking all loads isn't going to happen again until there's at least a decent treatment. If for no other reason, that sensible gay guys are gonna stay away. Here's a poll I did on Twitter a few days ago… Only a bit over 1/3rd of guys will risk a crowd when the stay-at-home orders are lifted (and that's now when they're horny and jacking off to Twitter, before the pandemic hits their city/town)…

We can hope the clinical trials they're doing now turn up something, but who knows. 

Don't be like that guy above. Don't be a COVIDiot!

Very well said! I agree with you. 

IM PRESENTLY LIVING IN EUROPE AND GET DAILY MESSAGES AND MAIL FROM BOTH GAY AND EVEN WOMEN WHO SAY THEY ARE TIRED OF BEING LOCKED UP AND WANT TO MEET FOR SEX! I HAVE ALWAYS PLAYED SAFE SEX, SURE I AM ALSO INTO BAREBACK AND LOVE IT BUT SAFE AND WITH SAFE MEN. BUT I HAVE TO TELL EVERY ONE WHO I RESPOND THAT I MAY HAVE INTEREST IN MEETING FOR SEX IS THAT WE ARE ON LOCK DOWN AND AS MUCH AS IM VERY HORNY AND WANT SEX. IT ALL AS TO WAIT TILL THE LOCK DOWN IS OVER AND ITS SAFE AGAIN TO MEET FOR SEX! BELIEVE ME IM VERY HORNY AND SO BADLY WANT IT. BUT WE MUST WAIT TILL ITS SAFE FOR SEX. 

THERE ARE MEN WHO HAVE WRITTEN ME AND WANT TO FUCK ME. I HAVE SAID I CANT WAIT BUT NOT KNOW! NOT TILL THE LOCK DOWN IS OVER AND WE CAN SAFELY MEET AND FUCK!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

The idea of herd immunity as a way out of this is deeply unfashionable at the moment.  But whether it is a possible way forward or not depends entirely on the number of infections out there that are going unreported or even unnoticed.  And until we get an antibody test that actually works, that is something we cannot meaningfully quantify.  One estimate put the total number of Italians who might have had the virus at somewhere between 10 and 20 million.  Now if that were the case (sorry, I can’t remember the source!) then herd immunity is beginning to look like feasible, although it would take at least one more wave of infections like the one we’re currently seeing in Italy to get close.

A prolonged lockdown such as the one we’re experiencing in the UK now does not come without serious societal risks too, and I’m not sure how viable it is to keep people in a situation similar to house arrest for the next 18 months to two years, while we wait for a vaccine to become available (if indeed it does).

At that point, shielding the most vulnerable while we manage the virus in such a way to achieve some kind of herd immunity may well seem like a more attractive option.

Good points and this is precisely why I'm glad I'm in NY with Cuomo as my governor. He gets the importance of testing. NY State has developed a rapid antibody test that tests the correct antibody (many tests don't). Some tests show positive if you've ever been exposed to the type of coronavirus that causes cold symptoms. Other antibodies can show positive when you have an active infection (and hence don't tell you if it's safe for the person to go back to a normal life). There's just one particular antibody that you can test that tells you if the person has recovered from a COVID-19 infection  – that's what the NY test tests. And it's a rapid test. BUT they're only able to create 50,00 tests per day, which isn't enough for a state with 20 million people (plus they need to test CT and NJ as well). So he's actively looking for companies that can produce the test in really mass quantities.

To your other point – we're not barred from going outside, in fact we're encouraged to do so (in moderation). The problem is it's creating crowding in the parks. I won't cycle in Central Park anymore because it's difficult to maintain 6 feet from everyone else. The NJ governor just closed all the parks in the state. I'm hoping Cuomo doesn't follow suit. For now Cuomo has increased the max penalty for not social distancing to $1000. Hopefully that will be enough. But apparently even married couples who sleep in the same bed have to stay 6 feet apart when out together. On the one hand it's silly, but it makes things simpler for the cops.

Apparently in Switzerland they have plenty of hospital capacity, but people heeded the "don't go to the ER unless you have to" so well that people with non-COVID problems are showing up with really advanced symptoms and some are dying, untreated, in their homes. So Switzerland is having to get the message out that if you need the ER, then go. So yeah, there are unexpected downsides to all those stay-at-home orders.

As far as shielding the vulnerable, from what I've read it's pretty much impossible. Even nursing homes that have gone on lockdown are still getting infections since the staff come and go from the "real world". Ditto for seniors who have home care attendants, etc.

Apparently there are hundreds of clinical trials on right now trying to figure out what might work. My hope is that one of them turns up something (but I really hope it's not the one Trump's been pushing – I don't want him to be able to say "see, I told you so").

8 minutes ago, rawTOP said:

As far as shielding the vulnerable, from what I've read it's pretty much impossible. Even nursing homes that have gone on lockdown are still getting infections since the staff come and go from the "real world". Ditto for seniors who have home care attendants, etc

Shielding the vulnerable might become more viable if the idea of ‘immunity passports’ gains traction: presumably if you’ve already had the virus and have some immunity to it, you’re given some kind of certificate that allows you to work with the vulnerable.  Not foolproof by any means, but better than what we’ve got right now.

Of course, the whole idea of herd immunity and immunity passports hinges on the the still unproven fact that once you’ve had COVID-19, you can’t get it again...

Love this post. I'm a big cruise site fan love the anon dick but picking up strange cock to me now seems like really pushing my luck. I remember what it felt like to be sick when I was first diagnosed with aids, fuck that stupid crap.( Though they did make a bomb ass grilled cheese in that hospital) In fairness to the Covidiot, those pics came out pretty well

5 hours ago, rawTOP said:

On a per capita basis Rockland County is up to 2% but only because the Hasidim (ultra orthodox Jews) refused to alter their behaviors to flatten the curve.

The irony of this is that during the Black Plague one of the least affected populations was the Jews - because they maintained their regular behaviors, which included washing themselves regularly, long before there was any such thing as germ theory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

Shielding the vulnerable might become more viable if the idea of ‘immunity passports’ gains traction: presumably if you’ve already had the virus and have some immunity to it, you’re given some kind of certificate that allows you to work with the vulnerable.

Probably not so much. The only thing immunity certification would do is demonstrate that the certificate holder is likely to be safe from reinfection. That means absolutely nothing about the ability to transport virus from a contaminated area to an uncontaminated area by contact. An immune person may not be as liable to cough on a vulnerable person (including an immune person’s family, friends, or pet bengal tiger) but he can transmit virus in other ways just like everybody else.

Well, sure as hell hope the idiot had the brains remaining to at least contact the 3 tricks and alerted them to self isolate and get tested,since someone was carrying. And, umm, Mr 2 April, with that great foreskin-- after this is over and all has cleared, I def would be interested in getting to blow, err , know you LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rawTOP said:

Gothamist has really great breakdowns per 100,000 population. Currently about 0.65% of Manhattanites are infected. That goes up to about 1.15% of people in Queens. On a per capita basis Rockland County is up to 2% but only because the Hasidim (ultra orthodox Jews) refused to alter their behaviors to flatten the curve. They might achieve herd immunity, but it's not going to help anyone else given how insular they are.

The pursuit of herd immunity, meanwhile, means that huge numbers of people will die before this status is achieved. In the United Kingdom, the Johnson government was going to pursue this even though perhaps a half-million people (out of 70 million) would die.

[think before following links] https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-path-speci/special-report-johnson-listened-to-his-scientists-about-coronavirus-but-they-were-slow-to-sound-the-alarm-idUSKBN21P1VF

I have a friend who calls himself an "ethical slut" – that's an approach we should embrace. We need to start thinking through what comes next – how we can still be sluts without  creating chaos in the society around us.

Quite.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

Probably not so much. The only thing immunity certification would do is demonstrate that the certificate holder is likely to be safe from reinfection. That means absolutely nothing about the ability to transport virus from a contaminated area to an uncontaminated area by contact. An immune person may not be as liable to cough on a vulnerable person (including an immune person’s family, friends, or pet bengal tiger) but he can transmit virus in other ways just like everybody else.

As I said, immunity passports would not be foolproof, but they might be helpful.  We are going to have to live with this disease for some time, and will need to come up with more imaginative ways of dealing with it than simply telling everyone to stay at home for the next 18 month to two years, while a vaccine is brought on line.

56 minutes ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

As I said, immunity passports would not be foolproof, but they might be helpful.  We are going to have to live with this disease for some time, and will need to come up with more imaginative ways of dealing with it than simply telling everyone to stay at home for the next 18 month to two years, while a vaccine is brought on line.

What is unclear to me is whether people who are immune are not infected with COVID-19 at all or whether they are infected but at a low level. People who have cleared the virus from their system and can continue to clear it are rather different from people who are able to handle the virus and remain infectious.

• Upvote 1

• Administrators
Just now, torcub said:

What is unclear to me is whether people who are immune are not infected with COVID-19 at all or whether they are infected but at a low level. People who have cleared the virus from their system and can continue to clear it are rather different from people who are able to handle the virus and remain infectious.

There was a report out of China that someone had gotten COVID-19 a second time. It got a lot of press and then went unconfirmed. So it's assumed that once you clear the infection you're immune. Though there are 8 strains of it going around.

There are also examples of people in China who get through the illness but continue to test RNA positive for quite a while (indicating an active infection with the assumption that they're also infectious). But eventually they do test negative AFAIK. I haven't heard of any cases where people aren't able to eventually be RNA negative.

IMHO, the "immunity passport" should work. It means the person can't infect. So if they shower and change their clothes at the beginning of a shift (at a nursing home), then there should be no risk. But if localities only have 1-2% of the population that's been infected that means nursing homes only have 1-2% of the staff they used to have. That's a problem.

Having that "immunity passport" will be both a blessing and a curse. You'll be able to resume your life more quickly, but more will be expected of you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1