Life Of The Spare

I recon that Max's stomach is turning somersaults at the thought of so many pictures of Alex with Josh finding there way into the newspapers and online gossip columns.  Uncertainty of the relationship between Alex and Josh may urge him to make a move. His Mother calling him a dickhead may be the ultimate push he needs to make him see sense... Let's hope so 🙂

• Like 2

Part 30 - Christmas Festivities Begin

Christmas Eve was to fall on a Friday this year which meant the festivities would start on Wednesday with the royal family attending mass at 5pm to mark the start of the Christmas holidays. Thursday evening was see the main even of the year, the Royal Christmas Ball, the first hour of which was televised to the nation since this was an event where members of the public were invited by ballot. In essence it was a celebration of Monrovia and its people, a total of 100 guests from all walks of life were invited along with nobility and government officials. From midday on Christmas Eve the country observed four days holiday where everything was closed, so special was Christmas to the Monrovians that even the airport shut it doors for two days where no flights were permitted to land or take off, the last flight departing on Christmas Eve at 5pm bound for London. For the royal family it meant their Christmas was spent in relative peace except for the usual party for the household staff and their families on Christmas Eve afternoon. It was the royal families way of expressing their appreciation, the party always starts at 3pm with drinks and games then a sumptuous buffet at 5pm served in the state dining room followed by music and games that continued on until late. Like Greenacres where protocol was relaxed, from 3pm it was forbidden unless exceptional circumstances intervened to use the words majesty, highness or even bow and curtsey. Early January would bring Alex's birthday on the 10th and this would be his 21st birthday marking his official coming of age in royalty terms. It also held one other significant meaning, the trust fund from his grand father's estate would officially be passed down to him. For Alex it was his last milestone in royal life, a big celebratory masquerade ball was to be held on the evening of his birthday and a national holiday had already been decreed by the government. His popularity since taking on royal engagements and his active involvement in charity work had increased and was now in as much demand as his brother drawing ever larger crowds where ever he was attending engagements. Since the footage of Alex chatting happily to shoppers a few weeks ago had gone viral, it was unknown to him that he had become quite the royal sensation spotlighting Monrovia and the royal family. Alden and Alex had quickly become known as to the two most desired singles on the royal market, however, the intrigue surrounding Prince Alexander and who he was seen with was what the press was hungry for and more interested in. Speculation was rife with who he should be matched up with in the celebrity world, one magazine even ran a matchmaking series of stories detailing who and why they would be a match in heaven for Prince Alexander.

Tuesday morning had started out okay as far as Max was concerned and he was busy for most of the morning selling art and sorting out Asa's next gallery open night for late January. Part of him was intrigued about Asa accepting a commission to paint Prince Alexander's portrait for his 21st birthday, it was either that or jealousy that Asa would be seeing Alex. Sitting back down at his desk the words his mother spoke to him played over in his head as they had done every time he saw a picture of Alex. Opening the browser on his laptop he only had to type the letters PR for the search history to reveal the latest news on the person he was seeking. The picture of a happy prince attending the ballet with his family and in the background was that same man, that fashion designer who seemed to be appearing in a lot of pictures where Alex was concerned, there was one video he had missed previously that had been viewed 87 million times. Intrigue had Max clicking on it to watch as someone had posted a video of Prince Alexander out Christmas shopping, the video showed the Alex who Max really knew, he was really genuine and kind to everyone who came up to him. Once it finished he read some of the comments until he saw one from a person in Monrovia 'Royalty doesn't come better than Prince Alexander and his family, so funny and normal he is our lovely prince and proud of him'. This morning he had picked up another copy of Bonjour magazine after hearing about the articles being written on Alex. It amused him no end reading about the what the magazine thought they knew of the prince and who he could be matched with, in truth they knew very little. Alex was one prince who sat under the radar as far as his personal life was concerned. Max couldn't help but smile looking at the pictures of Alex until he was interrupted by Asa appearing in art gallery. He walked over to Max's desk and coughed to get his attention noticing he was miles away.

"Asa, hi" Max said not even bothering to close the browser or magazine.
"You are still reading up on him then" Asa remarked sitting opposite Alex.
Max nodded "Come on get it out whatever you have to say" he said looking at Asa who shrugged.
Max turned the laptop around "Seems this Josh person is in all the photos" he said.
"So what!" Asa replied studying the picture and looking at other ones, "There is nothing there".
Max turned it back round to face him "What do you mean?" he asked looking at the pictures.
"They might be sexing each other but there is no love there" Asa informed him confidently.
Max looked at him "But he as gone out in public with him, a sure sign" he said.
"Nah, there is no love between them" Asa added like he knew the prince intimately.
Max chuckled "When did you become such an expert?" he asked.
"Body language and they never seem to be looking in to each others eyes" Asa replied sitting back.
There was a momentary silence, "Anyway when you two are together it is obvious" Asa now said.
"You are sniffing to much paint cleaner again" Max replied jokingly with his gaze fixed on Alex.
"I am off to Monrovia on the 4th of Jan" Asa informed Max who looked up.
"Well say hello to him for me" Max said closing the laptop lid to focus on Asa.
"If you don't go and get him Max I will bed him!" Asa said making his intention clear.
Max smirked "You really are sniffing paint cleaner!" he replied, "A prince would not like me just turning up".
"How do you know?" Asa asked, "He is in love with you and you turned him down dick head".
Max sighed "What do you want Asa?" he asked trying to get off the subject of Alex for once.
"To take you for lunch and talk about my next gallery opening" Asa replied standing up.
Asa glanced at Max "So how much time are you spending searching him on line?" he asked.
Max gave up "Way too much, seeing him in videos doing his royal bit, he is amazing".

Max smiled standing up and they walked across the road to a small bistro for lunch. They talked extensively for an hour before Asa returned to the subject of Max, without flowering his words he came straight to the point over and over telling Max how much of an idiot he was being. Countering every argument that Max could throw at him and leaving him feeling defeated and truly berated over his actions that had no real foundation.

"Even I am in love with you and I know I can't compete against him" Asa said paying the bill.
Max sat back and tried smiling "You just want sex Asa, that is not enough for me" he replied.
"Seriously! See you even underestimate my interest in you" Asa replied looking seriously at him.
"We are way past that Asa,." Max said watching Asa who nodded then smiled, "Anyway you are to sexually aggressive for me".
"I know" Asa said laughing and leant forward holding Max's hand, "You love him Max, please go and get him".
Max threw his hands up admitting defeat "So you will?" Asa asked standing and putting his coat on.
"I am not saying I will, I need to think, be completely sure" Max replied standing.
Asa rolled his eyes "Man you are such a pole at times Max, think about your happiness for once".

Returning to his desk that afternoon Max searched for return flights to Victoria noticing that that last one back was on the 24th at 5pm then nothing until 27th. He took a look around the art gallery then got his credit card out and booked a flight out tomorrow morning at 10am and returning on the 24th. He had not even bothered checking with David the gallery owner before booking them, it didn't matter since they were cheap flights so he could make his mind up in the morning. He was sweating from anxiety and unsure how he would even find Alex or even get near to him. 

It had been a busy afternoon for Alex attending the Royal Institute of Science and Technology to hear about latest innovations and he yawned as the car pulled up to the palace with Liam by his side.

"You coming to the gym?" Alex asked as the footman opened the door bowing.
"No I have to go out" Liam replied, "Just take it easy you look exhausted".
"I will" Alex promised as they walked in to the palace.

Alex couldn't be bothered to work out and decided on a swim and steam instead. The gym area was quiet and Alex went to the pool and swam for half an hour then checking it was quiet still he stripped naked chuckling to himself and went in to the steam room. Oblivious to the other person laying on their back in silence. Alex sat down a made a sighing sound as the heat penetrated around his body. He heard a noise and was about to turn to see who it was but they were quick and kissed him full on, his hands roamed up along the arms holding him and feeling the muscles he knew exactly who it was. He body suddenly started rising in the air as the kissing intensified and finding himself laid on his back as his legs were forcibly pushed up around those familiar thighs. Without a word spoken Alex moaned in to the mouth locked on to him, his hole being forced apart as the cock pushed in penetrating him to the core in one slick movement. With not time to adjust himself the hips started slamming against his arse with a steady force pushing Alex up along the bench. He tried raising his head only to find the muscular arm slipped behind his neck and held him firmly in place keeping their mouths locked. Alex started responding kissing him back with subtle aggression as his body reacted to the cock inside him. Without missing a beat the pace quickened with every thrust, faster and faster it got. Alex wanted to moan loudly but he was lost in the kissing, his whole body rippled form the force of the thrusting hitting against him, only his head remained perfectly still locked in the kiss. The body above him stretched going taught breaking the kiss and several painful deep penetrating thrusts were delivered announcing the orgasm , the arm pulled Alex's head in to the crook of the neck as the orgasm peeked. Alex  clasped his arms around the body holding it down on to him. The surprise sex had resulted in a prince of putty, his legs wrapped tightly around the waist wanting to stay in this position.

He felt the kisses across his forehead, cheek and mouth again "Happy Christmas" Liam said.
Alex chuckled "Happy Christmas" he replied kissing him deeply, "God I miss this" he added.
Liam smiled "It hasn't been that long" he said looking down at his prince.
Alex ran his hands along the familiar body "Lie to me again and I will withhold sex" he said.
Liam let go and stood up "I would like to see how long you can resist!" he exclaimed.
"Is that it?" Alex asked looking at him through the steam, "You are going now?".
Liam sat by Alex "This is getting too comfortable Alex..." he started saying.
"Are you breaking up with me?" Alex asked sitting up with a worried look.
"Not as such. I feel like I am taking advantage of you sometimes for my pleasure" Liam replied.
Alex shook his head "Do not do this Liam" he pleaded, "You mean the world to me".
"Alex I am not going anywhere, maybe we should cool the sex thing down a bit" Liam explained.
Alex stared at him "I am worried that I will be the one who falls in love" Liam said openly.
"No, it will not happen Liam" Alex said immediately, "I don't love you so it won't happen".
Liam smiled stroking Alex's leg "Does Polly know about us?" Alex asked.
Liam was silent for a moment "Yes, she knows and kind of understands" he replied.
Alex looked down slowly shaking his head "And where does that leave us?" he asked.
Liam kissed him on the head "You and I will always be close Alex and I am here for you".
Alex ran his fingers down Liam's face "So now you have to be the one to promise not to fall in love".

Liam nodded and looked Alex in the eye, no matter how hard he fought against it he was still drawn to his prince. Liam moved closer and softly kissed Alex on the mouth several times before they seamlessly attached themselves to each other and kissed for several minutes until Alex moved and knelt in front of him. Kissing his neck and chest he moved sensually lower down the muscular torso, his chin hitting the erect cock of his protection officer. Alex closed his eyes softly and slowly ran his tongue along the shaft until he reach the tip then sank his mouth around and down the length of the cock. He heard Liam moan above him as his hands gripped the sides and Alex's head guiding him at a steady pace. Liam unable to resist and so turned on allowed Alex to pleasure him until he orgasmed again and Alex spluttered as his mouth filled with cum. Alex swallowed then continued gently sucking away until the cock began to soften, raising himself up he kissed Liam.

Alex leaned back and smirked "If you try and break up with me I will ruin your life!" he said.
Liam chuckled seeing Alex was joking "Dirty cock sucker" he said kissing him aggressively.
Alex pushed him away "Stop doing that or I will need fucking again" he said laughing.
Liam stood up "Now I really do have to go out Alex" he said picking his towel up.
"Liam!" Alex called after him, "You and I, we are okay aren't we?" he asked looking worried.
Liam smiled "Of course Alex" he replied, "I serve to protect and care for you" he added.

Liam walked out of the steam room leaving Alex there who giggled away to himself in his post sex euphoria. Liam walked back to his quarters to change, in his head stopping this seemed so easy, in reality Alex just did something to him that he couldn't put his finger on. Thankfully he had been honest with Polly about his assignations with the prince, although shocked at first she realised that it was either a case of losing Liam or accepting it. Once she understood the truth behind it after Liam had told her he had the king's blessing she was comfortable with it.

That evening Max tried to sleep and kept looking at his small packed suitcase. He was about to take a step in to the unknown that had no definitive conclusion or end, he had to try and find Alex and get to him before he broke himself. Even whilst packing he was unsure if he was doing the right thing and if he even got to speak to Alex would he be willing to accept Max in his life after he ran away from it. He knew what he needed to do and finally after making his decision he slept until 7am then slipped out leaving a note telling his parents he was going away for a few days to think things through properly. His last few tasks was to phone his boss telling him was out and would return to work on the 27th then texting Gareth to let him know he was going away using the same excuse that he needed some alone time to think and get his head in order.

Checked in he wandered around Heathrow that was busy with thousands of passengers heading off for Christmas. The airport doing it's best to get in the Christmas spirit and catch passengers attention as they waited for flights to spend money in the shops. Fortunately Max didn't have long to wait at the airport since he knew if he sat down for a minute he would start over thinking his plan and probably back out. Once he boarded the flight to Victoria he could tell Christmas was coming as the cabin crew were wearing Santa hats. He took his seat on the aisle sitting next to a lady in her 30's he guessed and listening to music on her headphones, she looked up and smiled acknowledging him. The one thing Max never even thought to do was was checking what the weather was like and was shocked to see the seat back video displaying the current weather in Victoria as snowing and minus two degrees. There was no way he had enough clothing for that sort of weather and started fretting that he would need to go clothes shopping as soon as he landed. The lady next to him dozed for the first few hours until the announcement was made that they were starting the descent to Victoria. Pulling her seat upright she glanced over at Max who still had a worried look on his face.

"Are you feeling alright?" she asked, "Only you look a little worried or anxious".
Max nodded "Yes I am fine, sorry I have a lot going on in my head that I am unscrambling".
She smiled "You here for Christmas?" she asked him as the plane engines decreased power.
"Probably coming back on Friday, just a quick visit" Max informed her.
"Shame you are not staying, Christmas is magical and a big celebration here" she informed him.
"Celebration?" Max asked looking at her.
"Oh yes, the royal family attend a mass a 5pm today to mark the start of Christmas" she said.
Max suddenly had interest in the lady next to him "Right, so where do they do that?" he asked.
She laughed "The cathedral on Balenciaga plaza of course".
"And the royal family?" Max now asked, "I mean what are they like?".
"Well loved and respected in many ways, course the youngest prince is gay" she informed him.
"Really?" Max asked quietly amused, "Does it matter. That he is gay?".
"Not at all, in fact every one pays a bit more interest in Prince Alexander's life now" she replied.
Max smiled "Why is that, because he is gay?" he asked.
She chuckled, "Everyone is guessing who he would partner with" she said opening a magazine.
"Is that him?" Max asked feigning he had never known the prince.
"Yes, but people focus more on his protection officer, he is dam hot!" she said giggling away.
Max smiled reading the article "They do seem to be liked in Monrovia".
She nodded "And Prince Alexander is very popular, always stops and talks to people when shopping".
"He goes shopping?" Max asked remembering the video but curious if it was a one off.
"Yes every year, is the royal families normality that people love, but they still have their regal air about them" she added.
Max laughed "Normal?" he asked jovially, "Royalty is no where near normal".
She smiled "Yes I know what you mean. Our royal family are very in touch with real life though and their country".
He studied the picture carefully "And who is this in the picture?" he asked pointing to a lady.
"Princess Marie, the king's sister who stepped back from royal life" she informed Max.
Max raised an eyebrow "Married her protection officer causing a bit of a scandal" she went on to explain.
"Because he was not royalty?" Max asked looking up at her.
"No" she shook her head, "It was her stepping away from royal duty, government asked for her title to be removed".
Max nodded "The dowager queen waded in, said she was still royalty and was to retain it".
"She is the king's mother right?" Max asked looking at the formidable woman.
"Yes, the king was under pressure to remove it then reached a compromise on her husband's title" she said.
Max nodded again listening intently "He became a Duke whilst she retained her title" she finished.

Her words echoed in Max's ears as the seat belt chime went off, he couldn't help wondering if fate was going to bring Alex the same challenge if they got together. Max fastened his seat belt and could see nothing from his seat out of the window except the cloud base they were flying through. Suddenly the plane descended and cleared the clouds as the landing gear rumbled from its housing being deployed. Max could now make out the blanket of snow covering as far as his eyes could see. The plane landed quite hard on the runway ensuring the brakes engaged quickly due to the continuing snowfall outside. Disembarking Max could see what the lady had meant about Christmas being a big celebration in Monrovia, the airport was completely festooned. The gate agents all wore tinsel and Santa hats, in fact everywhere you looked people had Christmas jumpers on and then he saw it in the arrivals hall. A large picture of the royal family wearing Christmas jumpers with a huge tree behind them and the words 'Happy Christmas from our family to yours'. Even looking at the life size poster of Alex made his heart skip a beat and he knew the decision to come and find him was right. It was just how to find him that kept fogging his brain, perhaps stand outside the palace until Alex saw him. During the entire train journey he was playing over what he would say if he saw him until he arrived at Victoria's central station, luckily he had got a room in the only hotel on Balenciaga plaza remembering that it was a short walk to the palace from his short trip here a few years ago. Standing outside the station it was only a short stroll to the plaza but it was snowing heavily now so he grabbed a taxi and by 2.30pm he was checked in to the hotel and inside his room overlooking the plaza. Having purchased a warmer coat at the airport along with gloves and hat he was much better prepared, even the sight of the plaza covered in snow with Christmas trees and lights was enough to lift his spirit. Undoubtedly there was a magical feeling everywhere about Christmas, that and it was snowing seemed to make the whole thing perfect in Max's eyes.

Alex sat in the family lounge talking with Alden and watching the snow falling, the log fire burning away gave off the pine cone aroma filling the room with a very Christmas smell. The two princes were so relaxed and happy to be together alone in each others company which was becoming a rare thing now Alex had started public engagements.

"Are you coming tonight?" Alex asked pouring a cup of tea for Alden and himself.
"Not sure, it is all your buddies" Alden replied using air quotes and giggling.
"Come on, Francis and Jackson are coming" Alex informed him.
Alden took his cup of tea "Thanks bro, of course I will come, who else is coming?" he now asked.
"Liam, Artem, Marty, Tom and my new friend Josh" Alex replied putting the teapot down.
"Josh" Alden cooed softly, "Are you and him going to hitch up?" he asked keeping it casual.
Alex shook his head "No, there is nothing romantic between us" he replied happily.
Alden looked at him seriously for a second "Are you still angry about Jackson?" he asked.
"Furious with you!" Alex exclaimed then smiled, "No. I mean I have Artem now".
"And have you?" Alden asked grinning.
Alex chuckled "Certainly not, the guy is so straight he doesn't bend" he said bluntly.
"Sorry I interfered with Jackson bro" Alden now said putting his tea cup down.
Alex nodded "You did what you did for the crown. He helped me you know" he said smiling.
Alden looked at him "Helped me discover who I am" Alex replied, "Then Max came along".
As soon as spoke the words his expression and mood changed "Alex get over him" Alden said.
"I can't Max, I know he broke my heart in London but he flicks all the switches inside me" Alex said sadly.
"Stop thinking about him and move on, find someone who accepts who you are" Alden advised.
Alex sat back resting his head against Alden's shoulder "I have tried Alden, really I have".
Alden put his cup down "Maybe you should talk with Auntie Marie tomorrow when she arrives".
"Yes I could do, she knows best how to handle these situations" Alex agreed.
"Your royal highnesses, it is time to prepare for the mass" the footman reminded them.

They both downed their tea and went their separate ways to change in to their royal tunics for the Christmas mass, formal royal attire was customary and required since the governor premier and all heads of public office attended and dressed up as well. Artem placed the purple sash over the blue tunic and attached the broaches in perfect alignment. At 4.45pm they were assembled where Alex and Alden would travel in the royal car behind their parents, the prince's protection officers taking the car behind waited for the prince's to get settled in their car for the short drive to arrive at 5pm sharp.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Oh Losolent you tease 🙂  ...you're prolonging the agony for us but I really hope we're going to read there's some positive progress in the next chapter. I'm hoping that Max gets one of the Royal Family's Christmas jumpers to wear for the 25th 💓

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@losolent

Fantastic chapter but the suspense is driving me mad! Hahaha!

I do hope Alex spots him in the crowd and pulls him to the palace or maybe Liam will spot him and discreetly pull him into the car back to the palace or…. Oh the possibilities and I am practically salivating for the next chapter.

• Like 2

I totally understand how this happens…that the story you tell takes you on its own ride, the details and scenes you want to share so that the characters come alive for the reader, because they are alive in your head.  And you want your characters to live through the story, not just find a solution two sentences after they have a problem.  You write so well, engaging us all.  @losolent  I love the background, the buildup, the honesty, every word.  I will trust you not to break my heart with Alex, Max, Liam, or the rest of the characters who are really amazing people.  And perhaps you don’t know this, perhaps you do, but your ability to write such kind, sympathetic characters says much about your own character, and who you are.  Thank you for writing this, and sharing it with us.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Assmunch said:

I totally understand how this happens…that the story you tell takes you on its own ride, the details and scenes you want to share so that the characters come alive for the reader, because they are alive in your head.  And you want your characters to live through the story, not just find a solution two sentences after they have a problem.  You write so well, engaging us all.  @losolent  I love the background, the buildup, the honesty, every word.  I will trust you not to break my heart with Alex, Max, Liam, or the rest of the characters who are really amazing people.  And perhaps you don’t know this, perhaps you do, but your ability to write such kind, sympathetic characters says much about your own character, and who you are.  Thank you for writing this, and sharing it with us.

From my thoughts to your keyboard, Assmunch. It's so true, sometimes as a writer you just have to get out of the way and let the characters tell their own story in their own way. @losolent, you really are a master at spinning a tale where the stories and the characters all have a vivid life of their own. That's why it's so gripping, and why we're all so wound up about what will happen next!

• Like 1

Part 31 - Seeking His Prince

Max was feeling the cold having spent nearly half an hour standing at the golden gates looking along the driveway to the palace that was just visible through the snow fall, he turned and walked briskly back to be in the warmth of the hotel and his room. Checking his watch it was almost 5pm and getting dark when he sat on the window sofa looking out across the plaza towards the cathedral where people were arriving, a fairly large crowd had gathered despite the cold and snow watching the parade of people. Gradually the snow eased up providing a better view across the plaza, it had completely escaped his mind until he saw the royal cars arriving with their police cavalcade. There exiting the second car was Alex dressed in his royal finery, despite the distance Max could see him so clearly. The red carpet swept one last time from the cathedral entrance and Alex along with the Crown Prince walked inside following the king and queen. Max panicked and quickly grabbed his coat running out of his room and down to the concierge desk. Firing questions at the concierge Max learnt that the service ran for exactly 45 minutes, he put on his new coat and strode across the plaza towards the cathedral. Halfway there he stopped and turned around slowly doing a full circle looking at the entire plaza, even on his last trip here he never really took the time to look at it properly. It was an incredible place with the ornate buildings and cathedral standing proud at one end, behind him his hotel and various other buildings, to his left the residence of the governor premier along the boulevard. He turned to face his right side looking down the other end of the boulevard that lead towards the Balenciaga park and the gold imposing gates standing in front of the palace. A shiver ran up his spine staring at the palace again, the flag flying high above the centre of the building and the large Christmas trees standing either side of the palace entrance looked so magical. He couldn't shake the notion that this was a life he couldn't comprehend, yet it held that one person he had to be with. Facing the cathedral again he slowly walked across the central square passing a group of people enjoying a snow ball fight. He looked up at the cathedral, in his head he asked if he really understood this decision, could it for ever change his life beyond expectations? It still scared him the thought of being locked away behind those gold gates. Maybe he was just being silly, it was worth a shot and if he didn't like it they couldn't keep him there. And what of Alex he thought? Was he still interested after Max walked away, would he even forgive him. Doubts running through his head again as he walked over and approached the crowds either side of cathedral entrance.

Max joined the crowd on the left side as it looked a little smaller and he found himself standing next to young family full of Christmas cheer and wrapped up appropriately for the weather. The bells of the cathedral started peeling loudly as the mass ended and marking the real start of the festive season, a loud cheer erupted all around him and Max saw his opportunity to squeeze through managing to get to the front of the barrier. Frantic sweeping of the red carpet in front of him was now taking place to clear the new layer of snow, to the right of them the first royal car came to a stop then the second one behind it. The doors to the cathedral opened and the crowd cheered loudly again as the king and queen appeared and waved, slowly making their way along the red carpet acknowledging the gathered crowd and stopping to chat briefly. Max was being pushed this way and that with people surging to get to the front, his eyes though were on the doors when he saw the crown prince appear adjusting his royal tunic, he seemed to be waiting then glanced back as Alex appeared by his side. The cheer grew louder as the two stunning looking prince's flanked by their protection officers stepped out and began the slow walk to their car stopping to shake hands and thank the crowd for coming out in this weather. Max had never seen him in his role in real life and simply watched admiring him, apart from the familiar looking person he was completely different and so dignified. Max remembered how he thought Alex was some how different when they first met and every thought suddenly clicked in to place. Alex was not different he was a prince, that is why he thought there was something more to him in Mauritius. Unfortunately Max's position was near the very end of the walk and they now walked towards their car and he missed the opportunity to get his attention.

Alex kept glancing at Alden enjoying the familiar show of the post Christmas mass, both looked genuinely happy as they walked toward their car with Liam mere inches away from Alex at all times. Joining Alden they walked to the open door of their car and Alex glanced to this right smiling and giving a little wave. Max was about to shout but the cheer drowned out Max calling his name and Alex stepped inside the car. Desperate having missed his chance the noise from the crowd suddenly died down as the car door was closed. Max was now so afraid and cold he watched as Liam stood by the car door waiting for it pull away as the protection officers car approached.

Max suddenly shouted "Liam!!" he yelled, "Liam! Here!" he repeated waving his hand.
Liam glanced unable to recognise the young man with the hat on "Who is that?" Nick asked.
"I am not sure" Liam replied and deciding to ignore it.
Nick chuckled rubbing his hands to warm them "Something you not telling me?" he asked and Liam laughed.
Max shouted his name again "Liam!" then through sheer desperation he shouted, "It's Max!".
Liam stared at the person waving "Hang fire Nick" he said glancing at Nick with a concerned look.
"I got your back Liam" Nick replied looking around and watching Liam walk over.
Max took his hat off as Liam approached him "Thank god!" Max said relieved.
"Max?" Liam exclaimed looking at him, "What the hell are you doing here?" he asked.
"I made a mistake with A..." Max said shivering as Liam covered his mouth to stop him blurting out his name.
"Not here Max!" Liam said glancing around at the dispersing crowd now the royals had left.
He removed his hand "Sorry!" Max apologised as snow started falling heavily again.
Liam checked no one was near "Come with me" he said guiding Max around the barrier.
Max followed him quietly "Get in" Liam said then climbed in behind him.
Max stared at Nick who climbed in and sat opposite him "Nick" Nick said holding his hand out.
"Max" Max replied shaking it and Nick raised his eyebrow in surprise knowing who he was.
Liam sat next to Max "Where are you staying?" he asked closing the door.
"There" Max pointed to the hotel on the opposite side of the plaza there he said shivering.
"You could have dressed properly" Liam said shaking his head, "This isn't Mauritius!".
Max briefly smiled "Seriously you think I thought about the weather in the my madness to come here!" he replied.
"I will drop you off at the hotel Max" Liam said instructing the driver.
"But what about... you know?" Max asked wondering if his attempt was indeed fruitless.
"Slow down Max. I will come and see you 6pm, what room are you in?" Liam asked.

The car drove round the plaza to the front of the hotel, the short drive was awkward with Nick staring at him clearly trying to suss Max out. The doorman came hurrying over noticing the car pulling up with the royal insignia on the side it also caused a few heads to turn in excitement.

"Go and warm up Max and I will come and see you" Liam said as the door opened.
Max looked at him "Should I have come?" he asked stepping out of the car and Liam nodded.
Max peered back in the car "Liam thank you, I owe you" he said as Nick looked on.
"Dam right you will owe me!" Liam replied, "Oh and Max. It is really good to see you here" he said genuinely.
The door closed "So that is the famous Max?" Nick asked looking at Liam.
"Yes, no idea what he is doing here" Liam replied, "Hopefully he has come to his senses".
Nick nodded as he watched Max going in to the hotel "Pretty hot guy" he remarked quietly.
Liam chuckled "Hands off! And not a word to anyone that he is here" he pleaded and Nick nodded.

Max felt some relief that he had made contact even though it was Liam, he knew how close to Alex he was. He paced up and down in his room for an hour having warmed up and beginning to feel his face again from the cold, at 6pm on the dot there was a knock at his door.

Liam had walked in and announced he was off to collect Josh and was already gone by the time Marty arrived far too early for the party Alex was throwing. He was taking it as an opportunity just to sit and chat to Alex since they very rarely actually sat and talked. Alex's day was going really good and his mood was so upbeat it was worrying Marty who sat on the sofa. Artem was bustling around on the phone making sure the kitchen had the correct pizza toppings Alex wanted. Tonight was going to be a hair down and chill out evening of food, drink and casual conversation. It was Alex's way of thanking those close to him for being there during a difficult year, they had been patient whilst Alex went through the turmoil of the last few months. It was plain to see that no awkwardness existed around his circle of confidents and sexual partners over the year, in fact Marty was the one person Alex had more sexual attraction to and vice versa. Marty enjoyed sex, there was no question there but he was also very picky about who with. In one of their conversations he let slip that he wanted an equal, a passionate man that could keep up with his stamina and drive in the bed. That and his thing for dark haired men had Alex questioning why him and Francis, Marty though put it simply that it was sex with people he connected with first and foremost and a trust element. It was after that conversation in particular that Marty and he had formed a very close friendship as well. Artem left them alone to go and change and Alex sat down next to Marty.

Liam moved swiftly through the passage ways coming out in the east wing standing in front of two footmen guarding the doors to the monarchs apartments. He spoke quickly and the senior footman nodded and disappeared inside. Returning almost immediately Liam was allowed to enter.

"Liam, this is a surprise" the king said sitting on the sofa with the queen enjoying a cup of tea.
"Your majesties" Liam said bowing his head, "Max is here in Monrovia" he spoke quickly.
"Max?" the queen responded looking up at him, "The one from London?" she asked for clarity and Liam nodded.
The king stood up "Here?" he questioned, "Do what you must Liam" he said immediately.
Liam nodded "He has come for Prince Alexander" he said informing them both.
"Good, I will start the protocol in motion" the king replied, "How is the prince taking it?".
"Ah!" Liam exclaimed, "He doesn't know Max is here yet, I am going to see him at his hotel now".
"Well we trust Alex's judgement" then queen added, "Liam what is your impression of him?".
"Completely nervous if you ask me, he had no idea who the prince is. But he is very genuine your majesty" Liam replied.
"Very well. Make sure you get him cleared at the gate he may stay if needed" the queen advised.
"Your majesties Max really has no idea what is ahead of him being with the prince" Liam explained.
The king stopped before picking up the phone "Liam, can you brief Max on what to expect?" he asked.
"Of course your majesty. I have been preparing for this" Liam replied bowing to them both.
"Thank you Liam. The governor is ready for this call so it will happen quickly" the king added.

Liam walked backwards exiting their apartment, he had never expected the king and queen to react so quickly. He could see the concern on their faces and it was clear how they wanted to open the way easily for Max and their son. Back in the passage way he meandered along the corridors and down the stairs until he was in the garage. Setting off he stopped at the gate house pre-warning them before driving out of the palace gates. 

"You look tired" Alex said laughing and flopping on the sofa next to Marty.
Marty grinned "You try keeping up with Tom, man he is outdoing me. I can't keep up" he replied.
"And there was me thinking you were a sex maniac!" Alex remarked laughing.
"You haven't been down to see me. How are you?" Marty asked and quickly kissing Alex.
Alex shrugged "Okay" he said sitting back cuddling up next to him, "Gets busy this time of year".
Marty slowly nodded "And this Josh guy, are you fucking with him?" he asked.
"No" Alex replied glancing at him, "Despite what the press say there is nothing going on".
Marty grinned "From the pictures he looks dam sexy" he said stroking Alex's head.
Alex smiled "Liam has gone to bring him here so you will meet him later" he replied looking up.
Marty grinned and nodded "You still hung up on that idiot from London?" he now asked.
Alex shook his head "No, maybe" he replied, "Hell I don't know. Yes I am, I can't get over him".
Marty nodded "Maybe I should take you out on the town, find you a man" he said.
"Nah" Alex replied looking at him, "Not after Greenacres, I am swerving clear of men now".
"Yeah you don't do things by half" Marty said, "So what about that dick of a prince?" he asked.
"Blacklisted from entering Monrovia" Alex informed him.
"Good" Marty said in quiet satisfaction, "I was ready for round two with him".
Alex held Marty's hand "Really, thank you for standing up for me that night, I owe you" he said.
Marty chuckled "No you don't, you paid me back plenty of times with your arse".
Francis came bursting in to the lounge carrying a crate of beers "Whose ready to partyyyy!".

Alex and Marty laughed jumping up from the sofa to help Francis struggling to retain his balance and laughing hard. Tom walked in behind Francis a little nervously and dressed all casual for his first party with the prince but his face changed and lighted up seeing Marty there already. 

Marty turned and smiled then swooned over to Tom "Hello my sexy fucker!" he said kissing him.
Francis stood there looking at Marty "Hey!" he said, "I am here as well!".
Marty stopped kissing Tom who looked embarrassed "Your damaged goods now" he told Francis winking.
Francis laughed and kissed him "Great to see you Marty" he said but rubbing Tom's arse.
"Hands off!" Marty said swiping Francis's hand away from Tom, "You have a man" he reminded him

The four of them sat on the floor laughing and joking and quickly Tom felt at ease sitting between Marty's legs. Alex ever the thoughtful one didn't make any comment about Tom and Marty, although he was looking on Tom in a completely different light knowing he was not such an innocent 19 year old now. Alex had a little laugh to himself remembering Tom standing their partly naked at Greenacres when he was offered the job. 

Max walked nervously to the door and opened it to find Liam standing there, he did a quick glance to see if he had brought Alex with him but he was alone. He invited Liam inside and closed the door watching as Liam walked over to the window looking across the plaza and took his coat off.

"Funny I never get to see the plaza from this view" Liam said then turned to face Max.
Max stared at him unsure what was about to happen "Did you speak to him?" he asked.
"No" Liam replied, "Sit down Max" he said instructing Max.
Max sat and looked at him "Does he know I am here?" he asked anxiously.
"Not yet. Max I must ask, what are you doing here?" Liam asked without beating around the bush.
Max looked down at his hands "Answer me honestly Liam, did I make a mistake?".
Liam nodded "Yes and not just because I look out for him" he replied sitting next to him, "He is crazily in love with you".
Max nodded "I can't get him out of my head Liam" he said nervously, "But who he is scares me".
Liam smiled "Max it may seen weird but I am glad it does" he replied.
"Why?" Max asked looking confused and facing Liam.
"If it didn't then it would be clear you knew who he was from the start" Liam explained.
Max nodded "Royal life is not a walk in the park Max I can tell you" Liam informed him.
Max looked at him "That is the problem, would we ever be alone just the two of us?" he asked.
"Of course but you must understand in his position Artem and I are around" Liam said.
Max nodded still unsure and looking pensive "It is a good life Max, busy but good" Liam added.
"I see the press articles, every move he makes" Max said, "Is that Josh serious?" he asked.
Liam chuckled "Max you need to learn not to trust everything you read" he said honestly.
"So there is nothing going on then?" Max asked and Liam shook his head, "Phew!".
"You never answered my question Max, what are you doing here?" Liam asked looking at him seriously.
Max twiddled his fingers nervously "I think you know why I am here" he replied looking afraid.

Liam nodded going in to major speech mode "Max you understand that what and who Alex is was not his choice, it is his birth right and his upbringing has always centred around him being royalty. He has lead a privileged life that some people can only imagine, I am not saying he is spoilt in fact it is the opposite. His parents kept him and his brother grounded and to be respectful of others not matter who they are in life. Who you got to know in Mauritius was a young man who was neither a prince or royal for two weeks, you know the real Alex and that is something only a few people very close to him have ever seen. There was never any plan to deceive you. He wanted two weeks where he was Alex, plain and simple. He never thought he would fall in love during that time and we have had to deal with months of his anguish over you. He told me that the way you got so nervous asking him to go on that dinner date was when he fell in love with you. He knew it was not down to who he was but how you saw and go to know". Liam paused and looked at Max who was listening so diligently so he carried on "People will always be around him due to his status, assisting him, serving him and protecting him. Alex was very unhappy earlier this year and almost turned his back on his identity in a desperate bid to lead a normal life, even if he did he would never be able to escape his title or family unless he moved far away. That is how we ended up in Mauritius, to give him some breathing space. You may see the happy prince in photographs but I what I know is different and I believe you are the only one who can fix this, you are the one he loves and he can't move on from that". Liam walked across the room and turned to Max "If you have come to play games with him I will not hesitate to intervene and remove you from the picture one way or another for ever!". 

Max sat there looking at Liam, his last sentence was indeed a very clear threat that did nothing to quell his nerves. In that one sentence Max could see just how devoted Liam was to Alex, in fact he thought it bordered on love and that he would go to any length to protect the prince. He was unable to speak trying to take every thing in that Liam was saying.

Max nodded "I am not here to hurt him" he said softly, "I love him Liam" he replied, "I have come to find him".

Liam sat next to Max and smiled before going in to another speech "This is how it goes Max, I will get you in to the palace to meet with Alex. It will not end there so you need to be prepared for what lies ahead for not just you but your family and close friends. First you will have to meet with the king alone, Alex cannot be present during that first meeting. The king and queen will then see you both together and only after that will the king formally approach the Royal Chamber Council seeking approval. During all of this your background will be thoroughly checked out to make sure you are suitable and that includes your family. Then the council will vote if the union is acceptable before any formal confirmation is given at your meeting with the governor premier then and only then does it become official". Liam stopped talking and was facing a rather shocked looking Max, "I think I have got it right" Liam said scratching his head.

"Is this all normal?" Max asked trying to remember everything Liam had told him.
"Yes, that is the correct protocol going in to a relationship with royalty here" Liam replied.
"Shit!" Max said shaking his head, "What have I let myself in for?" he asked.
Liam chuckled "It sounds worse than it is and I have a feeling this will happen quickly Max".
Liam stood up "The king and queen know what happened in London" he said.
Max looked up at him "I came back the following morning but you had all gone" he said sadly.
Liam looked surprised at this "The king flew over that night and took Alex back early morning".
Max walked over to where Liam stood "Guess I am already in their bad books" he remarked.
"No" Liam replied quickly, "Far from it Max, they have granted you access to the palace".
Max looked at him "They know I am here then?" he asked.
Liam nodded "Yes, hence why I have given you a quick briefing of what to expect in the next few days".
Max looked out the window "What if he turns me down?" he asked watching the snow falling.
"Then you leave, simple as that" Liam replied quite abruptly, "His welfare is my responsibility".
Max nodded and Liam looked at him "What changed Max. I mean you flew out here?" Liam asked.
"My mother" Max replied, "She told me when you love someone you have to adapt your life".
"Sound advice" Liam said, "Your life will change Max, that much is for sure".
Max nodded "I sort of know it will as long as he still wants me".
Liam stood "Get your coat on, I have to collect Josh before going back to the palace" he said.
Max stood "Am I coming with you then?" he asked taken by surprise.
"Yes" Liam replied, "Bring your passport as security will need to check it" he advised Max.
"Okay" Max replied heading to the wardrobe and retrieving it from the safe.
"Max, you are about to step in to his world, I need you to be very sure you want this" Liam said.
Max nodded "I love Alex and I have to do this, I want to be with him".

Max found Liam to be quite daunting and intimidating at times when he had his royal hat on, nothing like the beach going stud he met in Mauritius, he also knew that this was Liam in his official capacity. He followed on in silence getting in to the BMW and driving across the city to collect Josh. Liam waited for Josh to get inside the car noticing the surprised look on his face finding this strange guy sat there.

"Oh! Hello" Josh said sitting down and closing the door.
"Josh this is Max" Liam said introducing them and they briefly shook hands.
"You a friend of... holy shit, London Max?" Josh asked looking at him carefully.
He nodded "I guess you know about me?" Max asked figuring that Alex must have mentioned him.
Josh nodded "Yes, not a lot though. Only hear your name mentioned every time with Alex" he replied.

Max looked a little embarrassed as Liam told Josh that he must not mention anything to Alex. He completely understood that Alex didn't know Max had arrived unexpectantly today. Max looked at the imposing gates that he had stood outside earlier and watched as they opened and their car entered then turned left to the security building to get clearance. Josh could sense the nerves in Max and leaned in telling him that he almost pissed himself the first time he came to the palace. It was just the icebreaker Max needed to know he was not alone feeling out of place and they quickly started rambling on to each other about what they did. By the time Liam reappeared Josh had persuaded Max to take him to the Monrovia Museum of Art and Culture to tell him about the paintings there and in return Josh would make him a one of a kind shirt. Liam was quite surprised to see them chatting and laughing together so effortlessly. Back in the car they drove the final half mile to the palace rounding the side they dropped down in to the garage underneath. Josh commented that they used the tradesman entrance as they were not royal enough to use the front door which helped ease the nerves Max felt knowing what was above them. Tradesman entrance or not the passageways was a warren of corridors going through several security doors then up several flights of stairs and finally another security door that Liam pressed his finger against the the door clicked open leading in to a very ordinary but stylish lounge and bedroom.

"Come on in" Liam said, "This is where I live, across from Alex" he informed Max.
Max shook his head "I am so disorientated" he stated.
Liam laughed "That is whole point of the passageways, don't worry you get use to it" he said.
Liam looked outside in to the hallway "Josh you go in and tell him I will be along in a minute".
Josh nodded "Mums the word" he said winking at Max.
Max was torn between excitement and feeling sick right now "I hope this goes well" he said.
Liam smiled "Wait here and I will send Alex to you" he said standing at the door.

Liam watched as Josh knocked entering the lounge where Alex came running over "Josh you came" he said.
"Of course your highness" Josh said bowing and following protocol then kissing Alex on the cheek.
"And Liam?" Alex asked looking out in to the hallway.
"He will be here shortly after he has changed" Josh replied.

Alex took Josh around the room for a quick introduction. It didn't take anyone intelligent to suddenly see the way Marty looked at Josh, being completely struck by how good looking and just up his street Josh was in person. Josh felt it immediately staring in to those eyes but he was also guarded about such instincts, all he could see was that this was one sexy looking guy he thought trying to retain some dignity in the presence of royalty. Alex fetched Josh a beer and Liam arrived casually biding a few minutes he went straight over to chat to Josh before he walked back over to Alex.

"Alex, there is a special present in my room for you" Liam said quietly in his ear.
Alex grinned "Why didn't you bring it with you?" he asked keeping his voice low.
Liam chuckled "You need to go and see it for yourself" he said guiding Alex to the door.
"How will I know, is it on the bed?" Alex asked.
Liam smiled "You will see it clearly enough" he replied without giving anything away.
"But it is not Christmas yet!" Alex complained trying to stop Liam guiding him.
Liam pushed him "It won't keep until Christmas, you need to see it now" he replied.

Alex stood in the hallway for a moment then crossed over to Liam's door. Inside Max stood behind the door waiting hearing Alex complaining to Liam, Max was almost bottling it and anxious with worry how Alex was going to react to him being here. The door opened and Alex strode in looking around briefly then disappearing in to the bedroom. Max closed the door and stood in the middle of the room waiting patiently. Stupid idiot he heard Alex moan walking back in to the lounge. For a moment Alex stared at the person standing in the lounge confused and very bewildered. His eyes taking in the sight slowly, his head computing it was Max standing there yet he was in the wrong place and he was not or even ever expecting to see him. 

The shock of seeing him had completely stumped Alex as he stood staring with his mouth slightly open, he didn't know what to make of Max standing there looking at him. He couldn't find the words or actions remembering Max walking away in London.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Let's hope that Alex will get over the shock quickly enough to invite Max to stay at the palace for Christmas. It was a huge thing for Liam to do for Alex. Now that Max is here and if he decides to stay, he may well have lost his bed companion. Perhaps Max will be understanding enough to know that Liam carries a very special place in Alex's heart and come to some form of compromise. Is Liam only attracted to Alex or is there potential for him to develop feelings for both Alex and his new love? As usual.. we'll have to wait and see....

• Like 2