Life Of The Spare

@losolent OMG! This chapter and the previous is amazing! You can feel the pure love between Max and Alex but the pure raw energy of sex in the gang bang.  You are an amazing writer! Please continue, we need more.  I am so curious about the protocols and what will happen at the ball.  Also curious will Liam’s presence in checking out a guest of a hotel raise some suspicions.  

• Like 2

Holy shit @losolent. That was a fuck fest and a love fest all rolled into one. I am sure this story is cumming to an end very soon but so look forward to another chapter or two before you wind things up and as they say in fairy tales "and they all lived happily together ever after" or something to that effect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, negchaserlooking said:

Holy shit @losolent. That was a fuck fest and a love fest all rolled into one. I am sure this story is cumming to an end very soon but so look forward to another chapter or two before you wind things up and as they say in fairy tales "and they all lived happily together ever after" or something to that effect.

At least another 10 chapters 

• Like 3

I wonder if there would be a tinge of jealousy on Liam's part if he gets to hear all the details of last night. It's already obvious that Max's initiation has shown that he's up for more than a monogamous partner. The only man we are aware of that  Liam has fucked is Alex.. Will Liam be ready to step up to the plate or finally take a step back. He obviously likes Max, given all the thing he has done to assist him to reunite with Alex but will it be a step too far for him to consider a threesome?? With losolent saying there's at least another 10 chapters, we had time for Liam to explore his options...

• Like 3

Part 34 - The Royal Family

Artem walked in to the bedroom ignoring the fact they were both naked drenched in sweat. His appearance still caught Max out forgetting about the fact he strolls in without a care in the world.

"Your royal highness it stinks of sex in here" Artem said picking up the coffee cups.
Alex too in love just smiled "Are you heading down for breakfast?" Artem asked reminding him of the time.
Alex sat up "Yes sorry. Thanks Artem" he said, "Oh can you let them know we are plus one this morning".
Artem nodded and left them "They already know" he replied bowing his head.
Alex chuckled "Liam!" he said quietly, "Come on Max we need to shower quickly before we upset routines".
Max kneeled up on the bed looking at Alex "You need to eat don't you?" Alex asked.
Max nodded "Err... will it be just us?" he asked nervously.
Alex shrugged "No idea, depends what time the rest are taking breakfast".
Alex knelt on the bed facing him and looking serious "I meant it Alex" Max said before he could speak.

Alex smiled and kissed him lightly then jumped off the bed heading towards the bathroom with Max in tow. Quickly showered, Artem found Max a shirt from Alex's numerous clothes to wear until his own arrived, they hastily left the prince's royal quarters. Walking side by side Max was in awe, it was light he had stepped in to a different world completely trying to take everything in. The interior of the palace was far from dark and foreboding, instead it was bright with gold leaf gilding with paintings of all nature adorning the walls and spaced out so not to clutter the walls. He was no fool in this area and recognised work by some of histories most famous artists. Reaching the ornate staircase that swept in a large semi circle to the lower floor with windows overlooking the private grounds of the palace, it really did take Max's breath away as they descended. A large floral display filled the alcove left by the staircases shape, above it in pride of place was a large portrait that Max recognised as the queen. Even that looked immaculate and perfect, he couldn't help thinking that Gareth would appreciate the floral display that was so over sized but smelt amazing. He was feeling even more nervous now as he corridors went in three directions, all wide as a road and many of the rooms having double doors. Their direction took them straight ahead where two ladies were delicately cleaning the door handles to one of the rooms and they stopped 'Good morning your royal highness' they both said curtsying to Alex, he replied cheerfully smiling at them as walked towards the doors where two livered footmen stood guard. It was only as they reach the doors that Max recognised one of them as Tom who gave a cheeky wink to Max. Both footmen bowed first 'Good morning your royal highness' they said in unison as Alex and Max approached. the older of the footmen opened the doors just as Alden was approaching the doors from the inside looking fresh as a daisy compared to them and having finished breakfast. The brothers who often never observed protocol in private hugged whilst Alden had a good look at each of them and laughed.

Max bowed his head 'Good morning your royal highness' he said and Alden patted him on the shoulder.
Alden looked at them then chuckled "Man you two look rough this morning, what time you get to bed?" he asked.
Alex smirked "Very funny" he replied, "Max ignore him" he said walking past him.
Max stood there like a rabbit in headlights and bowed his head "Your royal highness" he said.
Alden smirked "You are learning Max" he said then chuckled, "Better manners than my brother".
"Max!" Alex called out, "Come on I need food!" he said patiently waiting.
"Oh and Max!" Alden spoke holding his arm, "If you are staying here call me Alden in private".
Max smiled "Thanks mate" he replied, "Err Alden" he corrected himself.

Alden laughed his way out of the breakfast room. Max was surprised how fairly ordinary the room looked on first appearance yet it still oozed a form of elegance you couldn't put your finger on. Each of the footmen who came in to the room bowed and addressed Alex as his royal highness bowing their heads then addressing Max as sir with a very slight inclination of their heads which was way past any form of bowing. Still completely in a fairy tale land Max was not quite able to take much of it him as he nervously looked towards the doors knowing that the king and queen could appear at any time. Alex clicked his fingers in front of Max chuckling. 

"So there is food over there or you can ask for anything" Alex informed him as the footman poured coffee.
Max felt like he was stuck to the seat "What are you having?" he asked still looking around.
"Feel like a bacon roll this morning" Alex replied and Max nodded for the same.
Alex stood and Max followed him to the serving station "Relax Max, seriously" he said.
"I am trying Alex" Max replied making a bacon roll, "Bricking it for who is going to come in".
"Well it will either be the king and queen or dowager queen" Alex replied casually.
Max sat at the table "That didn't help at all, what do I do if they come in?" he asked.
"Exactly what you do to Alden, except use the word majesty instead of highness" Alex said.

Max sat there looking at the cutlery and plates in more detail, it was a far cry from home where it was mugs and stainless steel cutlery despite his parents being wealthy they used functional things despite the size of the house. Alex went back for another one being so hungry this morning and Max decided to have some fresh fruit and yoghurt. He was finally finding his nerve and beginning to relax as the footmen were unobtrusive and just there if they needed anything. The doors to the breakfast room opened and Alex immediately stood up beckoning Max to do the same.

"Good morning your majesty" Alex said bowing his head.
Max followed suit "Good morning your majesty" he said and bowed his head.
"Good morning Alex" his grand mother said walking over to them, "And who is this?" she asked.
"Granny this is Max... oh crap what is your name?" Alex asked rather embarrassingly.
Max chuckled then remembered where he was "Max Westwood-Lymm your majesty" he said bowing again.
"And is Max short for anything?" she asked taking her seat held by the footman.
Max nodded "It is your majesty, Maximillian but I prefer Max and it is easier to spell" he replied.
The dowager queen looked at him then laughed loudly "Sit down both of you" she said.
"Max is to be my boyfriend" Alex informed his granny, "Well pending the protocol process" he added.
The dowager queen turned to Max "So are you well educated Max?" she asked.
"I went to a private boarding school your majesty" Max replied quickly learning the ropes.
Alex poured coffee for his grand mother beating the footman to it "And what work are you in?" she asked.
"I work in an art gallery as a curator your majesty" Max replied scared to touch food or drink.
She looked between Alex and Max quickly assessing the situation "How interesting!" she remarked.
"You have some very fine art here in the palace your majesty" Max said casually.
"The king paints as a way to relax. Do you paint Max?" she asked.
Max smiled "I try to, I am no real artist but I am not bad" he replied, "Sorry your majesty".
"Relax Max you don't need to keep saying it" the dowager queen said smiling, "It ruins conversation at times".
"Thank you" Max replied sitting there unable to touch his food.
The dowager queen put her cup down "The king painted a picture, have you come across it?" she asked.
Max wondered if she was testing him "The one of the queen by the staircase" he replied instantly.
She laughed "How did you know?" she asked, "Alex did you tell him?".
Max smiled "The brush work is very new and different, unlike the old masters" he replied.
"You do know your subject Max, this is good to know" she said making no sense to Max.
Alex picked up Max's fork and fed him some melon "He is too scared to eat granny" Alex said.
The dowager queen studied Max again "You need to advise your parents soonest Alex".
Alex nodded, "They know Max is here" he replied, "You know full well Liam is in my fathers pocket".
"Well there is the protocol to follow Alex irrelevant of your lineage" she informed him.
The dowager queen sat back "Max has to meet the king first in private" she said.
Max nodded "I have been told that is what to expect" he said, "Oops! Your majesty".
"Max!" she said giving him a warning look, "Drop the majesty address now" the dowager queen informed him.
Alex chuckled "God you know more than me!" he said looking at Max.
"You know the queen lost a bet about Alex being gay" she suddenly said making Max choke.
"Granny!" Alex remarked smirking at her, "I do apologise Max she is a little cuckoo".
Max looked at Alex in shock "Ignore him Max there is nothing wrong with me" she said laughing.
"I am trying to get her committed so I can have the Victoria tiara" Alex said looking at her.
"Everyone wants that blasted tiara" she said looking at Max, "Maybe you would like it as well?".
Max shook his head "No thank you, anyway I don't have the head for it" he replied.
Alex nodded "Max is the person I met in Mauritius" he said.
"Ah right! The infamous young man" she said nodding, "And this is now serious?" she asked looking at Max.
"Yes your majesty" Max replied staring back at her, "I love your grandson" he said softly.
"You need to be blind not to see it" she said seeing through them both and their love.
Alex waved his finger at his grand mother "I think she is approving you" he said to Max.
"Am I?" she remarked smiling, "Max you have a lot to learn being in this dysfunctional family".
"Granny I think he has figured that out already" Alex said glancing at Max who nodded.
She studied Max making him nervous before she spoke "Then Max, I would love to help you" she offered sincerely.
"Wow!" Max said looking gobsmacked, "I mean thank you I would like that".
"Excellent!" she said looking satisfied, "Now eat max you are driving me crazy looking at the food".

They took a leisurely breakfast, Alex certainly felt more at ease since gaining his grand mothers approval in such a way that she would teach Max. One thing Alex had learnt from his mother was that his grand mother never offered to help in such a way, she took great amusement in watching them fall flat on their face and Alex knew that his grand mother still yielded quite a lot of clout when required. Max learnt about the dowager queen and the protocols surrounding her and was completely spell bound by her and her knowledge. By the time they finished breakfast and got back to Alex's apartments a footman arrived delivering a note from the king requesting Max to attend at 10am in the formal lounge. He was also to meet the dowager queen at 11am the main palace where she wanted to take Max on a portrait tour since she had a keen interest in art herself, that and it was a history lesson of the royal family. Alex took Max into the main part of the palace and the ballroom that was being prepared for later that day. Everywhere he went in the palace he was finding each room more awesome and the ballroom was no exception, decorated so intricately and symmetrical, the chandeliers adorning the high ceiling sparkled like new. Every person they came across stopped and bowed following protocol, Max being acknowledged yet not addressed as he was accompanying the prince. It would never cross his mind right then to what extent the changes would have on him as a person, he was thinking ahead anxiously as the minutes went by until he was due to meet with the king.

"I have to admit it scares me dating you seeing all this and how people react to you" Max admitted looking at him.
Alex smiled holding his hand "I don't want to be locked away in a palace" Max said making it clear.
"Are we making demands already?" Alex asked making Max smile.
Alex kissed him gently "Importantly Max, you are what I want and you are a sensible person to love and keep me real".

It was the first time Alex had openly kissed Max in a public area of the palace and the household present had all but stopped and looked over. Alex realised the ballroom had gone deathly quiet and looked around seeing the many heads turning back to what they were doing. It felt like an exhibition of Alex making his love for Max clear for everyone to see.

Max looked as well then turned to Alex "I am sure there was a compliment in there somewhere".
"Max you won the dowager queen over within minutes" Alex reminded him, "That has never been done".
"You mean there were more before me?" Max asked smirking.
"No, I mean Alden's choices, even my father the king" Alex said putting his arm around Max.
Max smiled "Your grand mother is very astute and aware of what is going on" he remarked.
Alex laughed "Oh yes, don't be fooled she knows every thing and all the gossip, trust me!" he replied.
They walked in silence for a while until Alex stopped "You are going to staying?" he asked.
Max turned to Alex "I love you Alex, plain and simple. Why the question?" he asked back at him.
Alex shrugged "Reassurance you won't go running off" he replied quietly, "Now you know everything".
"I am in awe of you Alex that goes without saying. But I want to be with you no matter what" Max assured him.
Alex smiled in relief "We should get you ready to meet my father" he said.
"The king?" Max asked like a stupid question that he already knew the answer to.
"All you need to do is be you Max" Alex replied then stopped facing him, "And you stay with me".
Max looked at him "I have a feeling saying no to you is not going to be an option" he replied flashing Alex a sexy smile.
Alex kissed him again "Anyway I kind of promised in bed to stay here forever" Max reminded him.

Their walk back to Alex's apartments was met with Liam arriving back. Max sat in the lounge and cancelled his flight back to London the following afternoon, staring at the cancellation notice of his flight he couldn't help thinking that every action was severing the life he knew and comfortable with. He never imagined that the impulsive decision to chase Alex down would end this way and building a new life here in the palace and Monrovia, but then what did he expect? He had no idea when he would be going home now, he sent a text to David his boss telling him he was taking an extended holiday, then he called his parents to explain he won't be home for Christmas and left it at that without disclosing anything. His parents knew from the call that their son had made contact with the prince even without saying as such. Liam was watching Max from the dressing room and Alex was watching Liam.

"What's the matter?" Alex asked looking concerned at Liam's expression.
"Hmm, nothing Alex" Liam replied walking over to him, "Is Max staying?" he asked.
"I guess so unless my parents say otherwise" Alex replied, "He is finding it hard I think".
Liam smiled "Stop worrying Alex. Artem and I will help him find his feet" he said assuring him.
Alex walked in to lounge "It is done" Max said, "My parents understand and I have promised to call them".
Alex sat next and kissed him "We can go to London for new year" he suggested.
Max looked at him "Really?" he asked and Alex nodded, "Thank you Alex" he said kissing him.

Artem appeared with a footman who was carrying several boxes wrapped with green ribbon, they both bowed addressing Alex and Artem then instructed the footman to put the boxes in the dressing room.

"What on earth is all that?" Alex asked curiously watching the footman.
"Josh sent these over for Max" Artem said handing Max a hand written card from Josh.
Max read it aloud "Thought you might need some clothes as well. Love Josh".
Alex sat back smiling "Love Josh" he sniggered, "Ooh Josh I love you" he mocked.
"Can't help being adorable can I?" Max replied sitting back grinning.
Alex walked over to the window "Snowing again" he said, "It is time" he said turning to Max.

Opening the doors to his apartment two footmen were walking towards them 'Your royal highness' they both said and bowed, one took position in front and the other behind accompanying Alex and Max to the formal lounge. Alex kissed Max reminding him to be himself and remember the most important thing was to refer to him as Prince Alexander not Alex in front of his parents for the moment. He backed off as they approached the doors. The footman on duty nodded and opened the door 'Your majesty Mr Max Westwood-Lymm' he said announcing Max to the king then bowed and returned nodding again. Max glanced over at Alex who smiled for reassurance and nodded for him to enter, his head going over the protocol he needed to follow as he stepped inside. Instantly Max's breath was taken away, the formal lounge looked and felt incredibly cosy with a fireplace adorned with a huge Christmas garland. The cream almost white walls and gold gilded coving and chandelier all gave an appearance of royal opulence and elegance. The cream sofa and red velvet high baked chairs added a contrasting colour and luxurious appeal. His eyes fixed forward stepping towards the fireplace where he stopped.

"Your majesty" he said to the king then bowed.
"Welcome Mr Westwood-Lymm" the king said waving his hand to where he should sit "Please sit".
The king waited until the footman left closing the door "Finally. Mauritius Max?" he asked.
Max nodded "I am your majesty" he replied nervously wondering where this was going.
The king smiled "Relax Max I am not here to put a spanner in the works" he said.
"Thank you your majesty" Max replied bowing his head again even though he was seated.
The king tapped his chin "What happened in London?" he asked straight out.
Max nervously shook his head "I was taken back, scared when I found out about Prince Alexander".
"And now?" the king asked looking at him.
"I see he is still the person I fell in love with" Max said trying to be calm.
The king studied him in silence for a moment "You will not run from him again?" he asked.
Max lowered his head "I made a mistake and it took my parents to tell me that. And no I won't".
The king nodded "I am putting a lot of trust in you Max, you would be good for my son".
"Thank you your majesty" Max replied sincerely and the king smiled and leaned forward.
"I need you committed to Prince Alexander, support him morally, be by his side" he added seriously.
Max nodded "And you need to stop being so nervous now" the kind added with a smile.
"Sorry" Max replied feeling a little more relaxed, "I am in well over my head" he joked.
The king laughed "We all are Max, this is no walk in the park being royal even for us".
The king stood up "I will smooth the way for you as much as I can Max" he said as the doors opened.
Max looked around "Err... How do I leave a room?" he asked looking confused.
"I will walk you to the door" the king said chuckling, "You will stay for Christmas?" he asked.
"Well Alex, I mean Prince Alexander has asked me to stay" Max replied cautiously.
The king smiled "If I know my son he has already moved you in permanently" he added looking at Max.
"I think he has your majesty" Max replied, "But I will not outstay my invitation here".
"Nonsense Max, if you are to be with Prince Alexander then this will be your home" the king said.
"Thank you your majesty" Max said kindly, "Oh and great portrait of the queen" he said stumbling his words.
The king looked at him and stopped walking "Really?" he asked, "Do you have an interest in art?".
"I majored in art, post modern and historical masters" Max explained to the king who smiled.
"Do you paint?" the king asked looking pleasantly surprised by this revelation.
Max grinned "Well I can paint but not to your extent your majesty" he replied.
The king laughed "Max that portrait took me a year to get right, you try getting the queen to sit still".
Max laughed "That is why I only draw landscapes" he said to the kings amusement.
"Max you are welcome to stay for as long as you like" the king said smiling.
Reaching the door Max turned and bowed "Thank you your majesty" he said backing out.

The footmen were waiting outside with Alex to accompany Max where he was advised his meeting with the king and queen would be at midday then lunch with the entire royal family at 1pm. The dowager queen appeared and dismissed the footmen instantly. Alex waved good bye to Max laughing as his grand mother whisked Max off on his portrait history lesson, Alex reminding her that Max was meeting the king and queen at 1pm. Max was surprised to learn how things had progressed so quickly in one day after the dowager queen informed him that it usually takes several weeks for all this to happen. They spent half an hour doing a whistle stop tour of past monarchs portraits explaining about each one and when they reigned. The dowager queen was suitably impressed by Max and his knowledge of art for such a young man even the various other paintings on their return to the royal residence he could tell her who the artist was. Alex was was sat on the floor casually chatting to Tom who was on duty, he smiled seeing them appear and Tom held his hand out helping Alex to his feet. Max bowed to the dowager queen thanking her for her time, she told him not to be nervous and that she would attend in a short while for some moral support as she left them.

"My parents are inside" Alex said checking his watch noticing Max looked anxious but less nervous now.
"I hope your mother approves of me" Max replied trying to make it sound light hearted.
Alex smiled "Listen my grand mother likes you and she is the harder one to crack".
"Good luck!" Tom said quietly giving Max another cheeky wink.
Alex stood in front of Tom "Stop flirting with my man!" he said watching Tom holding himself together.
"He is going to giggle" Alex said tormenting Tom who stood up straight looking at Max.
"Stop it!" Tom said trying to ignore Alex, "Are you ready?" he asked and Alex nodded.

Tom opened the doors to the formal lounge precisely at midday announcing Max to the king and queen then standing aside he beckoned Max to enter and watched him as he walked in and followed protocol accurately.

"Don't worry Max these are will be quick meetings" the king said as they sat down.
The queen leaned forward "Prince Alexander talks of you. What are your intentions?" she asked.
"I... I love him" Max replied looking unsure if that is what she wanted to know.
The queen nodded "I see" she replied looking at Max, "I know Prince Alexander is in love with you".
Max half smiled "And what of him being a prince?" the queen now asked catching him by surprise.
"Oh!" Max said, "Please understand it was a shock finding out who he is your majesty".
"A pleasant one?" the queen asked assessing.
Max shook his head "I didn't know what to make of it, I only knew him as Alex" he replied honestly.
Tom entered again "Your Majesties, Her Majesty The Dowager Queen Beatrice" he announced bowing.

Max watched the king and queen stand and Max knew he was suppose to do the same and quickly got to his feet banging his knee on the table then noticing the queen smile discreetly. Max waited until the king and queen had addressed the dowager queen then followed them.

"Please sit back down" the dowager queen insisted then took a seat next to Max patting his knee.
The king acknowledged what he saw "Am I to guess you have already met Mr Westwood-Lymm?".
"Yes I have" the dowager queen replied, "Such a fine young man" she added.
"Do you understand what being with Prince Alexander entails?" the queen asked getting back on track.
"No your majesty" Max replied honestly, "Haven't got a clue what I am doing".
"I will take responsibility for Mr Westwood-Lymm" the dowager queen now said.
The king and queen looked at her and they both nodded "He is a match for Alex" she told them straight out.
The queen looked at her husband "I have no objections, this must proceed" she said.
"Very well I will convene the council" the king replied standing up with the queen.
Max and the dowager queen stood "We will see Prince Alexander and yourself formally at 3pm" the queen said.
The king stood and walked towards the fireplace "In the meantime lunch at 1pm Max" the queen added.
"Thank you for showing me such generous hospitality your majesties" Max replied bowing.

Max watched the king pull a chord next to the fireplace and Tom the footman appeared, Max followed protocol and was accompanied out of the formal lounge, Alex was waiting there patiently and could already hear his parents and grand mother talking.

"Well?" Alex asked, "What happened, how did it go?" he spoke quickly desperate to know.
Max looked at him "Dam that was surreal!" he said still stunned.
"Yes but what did they say are we meeting them later?" Alex asked impatiently.
"Well lunch as you know then you and I are to meet them at 3pm" Max replied.
Alex jumped forward and kissed him "That is brilliant, still a few hurdles to go" he said.
Max smiled "The dowager queen said she would vouch and take responsibility for me" he added.
"Wow!" Alex replied looking shocked, "Max that is so significant" he exclaimed excitedly.
Elias appeared replacing Tom "Are you finished for the day?" Alex asked looking at him.
Tom bowed "Your highness, yes I have six hours free then on duty for the royal ball" he replied.
"Okay Alex said, listen at 2pm do you want to take Max and show him the gym and pool?" he asked.
"Wait you have a gym and a pool?" Max asked looking shocked as they walked off together.
"Yes" Alex replied like it was normal, "How else do you think we all keep fit!" he said laughing.
"I will collect you at 2pm from the prince's private quarters" Tom informed Max who nodded.
Alex stood in front of Tom "And keep your hands off, he is mine!" he said in a hushed tone.
Tom chuckled "Prince Alexander" he said with a stilly seductive voice, "One day... you and I".
Max stifled a laugh "Don't worry I will get you as well!" Tom said bowing "Your royal highness".
"I will be quick" Alex said to Max, "I have to meet with my parents at 2pm, my formal request" he explained.

Max nodded and Tom slipped inside the passageway by the grand staircase and was gone. Alex and Max laughed chatting away as they went upstairs and along the corridor to the west wing and the private quarters.

"Hopefully we won't have to do this for long" Alex said closing the doors.
Max looked curiously at him "Do what?" he asked intrigued by his comment.
"Hide away up here" Alex replied, "If all goes well we will be able to use the family rooms not be cooped up here".
"I wouldn't call this being cooped up Alex!" Max said laughing, "You mean the rooms downstairs?" he asked.
"Yes" Alex replied standing closer to Max, "Now kiss me you sexy fucker!" he said grinning.
Max smirked "I can kiss and do you in 20 minutes" he replied grabbing Alex and pulling him close.
"I bet" Alex said giggling away, "We have lunch though with the entire family".
Max kissed then held Alex in his arms "Look what you have reduced me to Alex" he said happily.
Alex leaned back staring at him "You stole my heart on the beach! That selfie you took...".
"I think it said it all" Max replied before Alex could finish, "I saw you it in your eyes".

Gently he kissed Alex again and it was becoming evident to them both how seriously and deeply they had fallen for each other. Not only did they see it but also the king and queen saw a magic between them over lunch, despite Max still looking anxious in their presence and forgetting to refer to Alex and Prince Alexander a few times. It took a while before Max really began to relax and conversation flowed where his life was being explored by the king and queen finding out as much as possible. Princess Marie and her husband had joined them for lunch and she was firing questions at Max as well. In her late thirties Princess Marie the youngest child of the dowager queen was the spitting image of her mother. Being a six year age difference between the king and princess they almost grew up in different worlds, in twist of fate Alex was a chip off her block and slightly rebellious at the whole royal charade for many years culminating in her relationship with Drew her protection officer at the time. A couple of years older than the princess he was a stunning looking man at the prime of physical fitness. The more Alex got to know Drew the more he understood how his auntie had at the young age of 24 fallen head over heels in love with him, in fact just like Liam, Drew was devoted to her service and still remained so to this day even in marriage. Knowing all the details now from his conversation with his father at Greenacres he could see the similar pattern that was evolving between Liam and himself. Everything that had happened with Liam in the last couple of days made things appear so clearly, Liam was protecting the prince from falling in to the same type of relationship even though it was now his protection officer who was scared of what was happening.

Lunch was going so quickly with Max under the spotlight, even Alden sat there enjoying the show and offering the occasional ribbing of Max and eventually telling him he was way to good for his brother. Not being quite sure what to expect at lunch, Max was surprised how really ordinary the food was and how ordinary they acted as a family all together in private. Maybe it wasn't going to be that daunting he thought to himself and was certainly being made to feel very welcome by the entire family. The one thing Max had not counted on was how busy he was being with hardly any time to really stop and think about everything going on, every time he passed a window Max would look out at the snow covered grounds that stretched of to the distance. Whilst it was a far cry from the view he was use to it gave him a satisfaction and sensibility about his decision.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Alex asked coming up behind Max making him jump slightly.
Max kissed him on the cheek "Waiting for you" he replied as Alex put his arms around him.
"How as your tour with Tom?" Alex asked, "Did he try it on with you?" he giggled.
"No" Max replied glancing at Alex, "How did it go with your parents?" he asked.
"Fine, they asked if this was what I really wanted" Alex replied, "Are you definitely sure Max?".
Max nodded "Yes Alex" he replied, "I feel like... Silly really, like you is who I was waiting for".
Alex smiled and turned Max around "My family like you Max and my father is making this happen".
Max watched a footman walk past "I am scared, not of being with you but everything around you".
"I get it Max" Alex said holding his hands, "If I am honest I don't know what the royal part holds".
Max looked confusingly at him "I will find work here in Victoria, maybe work for Josh" he said.
Alex laughed "No way am I leaving you and him alone together!" he exclaimed adamantly with a huge grin.
"Either way I have to find somewhere to live and work here if that is what you want" Max said.
Alex nodded "You will live here with me" he said making sure Max understood that.
Max chuckled "I could get a job as a footman, working along side Tom" he suggested.
Alex laughed "And how would that work when you are suppose to attend engagements with me?".
"All in good time Max. Let's get through this bit first" Alex said kissing him.

Alex checked his phone and suggested they get changed for afternoon tea, they climbed the semi circular staircase and Max confident now he knew the way took Alex's hand and lead him to the west wing of the palace and Alex's private quarters. Artem had hung the exquisite tuxedo Josh had sent over for Max and he was busy admiring it when Artem breezed in and ran through the shirts for Alex until he chose one then helped him dress. Max sat there giggling away finding this all amusing and quite surreal.

Artem glanced at him "Don't worry you are next Max" he said winking at him.
"Not likely, I can dress myself thank you" Max said opening the boxes from Josh.
Artem came over and slapped his hand away "Not on my watch you don't, toe the line Max or else!".
Alex was laughing so hard as Max sat there like a naughty child "Stand up" Artem demanded to Max.

It was like a comedy show that Alex sat down and watched laughing continuously, each time Max went to unfasten a button Artem would slap his hand away. When he had unfastened Max did them back up again, the game went on until they almost had each other on the floor in a play fight.

"Stop it" Artem said sitting on the floor sulking, "Do it yourself then" he said giving up.
Max stood up straight "Sorry Artem, come on then" he said looking apologetically.
"If you start again I will get Liam in here to hold you down!" Artem warned.
"Seriously!" Max replied, "Now I will play you up" he said grinning stupidly.
Artem rolled his eyes "Everybody loves Liam, everybody wants to touch Liam" he said jokingly, "blah! blah! blah!".
Max smirked "Man you are jealous. Have you been there then?" he asked to which Artem rolled his eyes again.
Alex stopped laughing "He is as straight as they come Max" he said standing up.

Both dressed with ten minutes to spare Alex looked Max up and down and nodded then kissed him lovingly trying to reassure him that he looked fine. As they exited the apartment two footmen stood there waiting, bowing their heads 'Your royal highness, sir' they both said then the elder to the two spoke 'The King and Queen have insisted protocol is followed' he said. Liam came out of his door in his protection uniform and stood behind Alex. They followed the footmen until they reached the family room where two footmen stood on guard at the doors. The elder footman stopped 'His Royal Highness Prince Alexander and guest have an audience with their Majesties the King and Queen on Monrovia' he said clearly. Hearing those words was enough to bring Max's nerves back until Alex took his hand and squeezed it lightly. Liam sensing Max's nerves stepped forward 'Don't worry Max this meeting has to follow protocol' he said hoping it would go some way to reassure him. One of the footman at the door had disappeared inside and returned 'Their Majesties The King and Queen of Monrovia will see His Royal Highness and guest' he said as both doors were opened. The two footmen stepped aside bowing their head and holding position until Alex and Max had walked past them in to the formal lounge. Alex stepped forward 'Your Majesties' he said bowing his head then raising it he stepped forward and kissed his mother and father on both cheeks. The king nodded and Liam was about to instruct Max but he took a breath and confidently stepped forward 'Your majesties' he said nervously first bowing to the king then the queen. Liam stepped to Max's side 'Your majesties' he said bowing his head then backed out of the room. The king invited them all to sit down and they just managed to to get comfortable when the doors opened again 'Her Majesty the Dowager Queen Beatrice' the footman announced as she came bustling in to the room. Everyone stood as the dowager queen approached and kissed her son and daughter-in law on the cheek. Max noticed that the dowager queen didn't curtsy or address them, then he remembered Liam mentioning on their walk that the dowager queen was a majesty and equal in stature but not rights. Alex then addressed the dowager queen and bowed then Max followed suit.

"Max how lovely to see you again" she said, "Are they giving you a good grilling?" she asked.
"Never mind sit next to me Max" the dowager queen said taking her seat on the sofa.
"Where are we up to?" she asked, "What did I miss?" she was throwing questions looking at them all.
"Granny calm down" Alex said patting her hand, "We have only just arrived".

The king chuckled as a butler appeared serving afternoon tea for them all. Max felt slightly more awkward this time yet at the same time it had a feeling of being a very informal type of meeting. Glancing at Alex he noticed how relaxed he appeared and not worried in the slightest. The door opened at the footman announced 'Her Royal Highness Princess Marie Duchess of Victoria and His Lordship The Duke of Victoria' he said bowing his head as they walked past entering the room. Again everyone stood and Max watched Alex so he was sure what he needed to do when introduced again. It was strange watching this as Princess Marie curtsied to Alex then he bowed to her, her husband who he now realised held no actual royal title. He was still a Duke holding a privileged title which meant Max had to bow his head and refer to him as sir as instructed by the dowager queen who seemed to be loving her new new role as Max's mentor.

The queen waited until the butler left "And what of your family?" the queen now asked.
"Well they know where I am" Max replied, "But not what I am doing here your majesty".
The queen smiled "You must make yourself at home Max especially over Christmas" she said.
Max nodded "Your majesty, may I take the prince to London for new year?" he suddenly asked.
The queen laughed "Do you think Alex can just hop on a plane?" she asked shaking her head.
"Sorry" Max replied, "I keep forgetting it is not that easy" he said glancing at Alex and looking a little sad.
The queen studied him for a moment "I don't see why not, that is if it can be arranged in time".
"Your majesty, would Alex... I mean Prince Alexander be allowed to stay at my home?" Max asked.
"We will discuss with council" the king replied, "And yes you must introduce Alex to your family".

The next hour saw the royal formality dropped and a very casual afternoon tea talking about Max and his life. Just before 4pm the king stood and said he would see Max at the gala ball that evening. Alex stood and bowed and Max followed his lead and left the formal lounge.

"Well?" the queen asked as they walked back to their royal apartments.
The king stopped "You realise Alex is head over heels in love with him and won't settle for anything else" he said.
The queen nodded "Then you need to make sure this happens" she replied, "I like him, nervous as hell though".
The king smiled and they carried on walking "The governor is already on side" he informed her.
"Good, I can't believe he won the dowager queen over so quickly" the queen added.
The king chuckled "But then Alex is a chip off her block in many ways so it makes sense" the queen said.

All the members of the royal chamber council were attending the ball that evening and the king sent word summoning them all to attend 30 minutes early to discuss Prince Alexander and Max. 

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

@losolent No question about it, the dowager queen is the best part of this entire chapter, speaking her mind so wittily and leaping in immediately to vouch for Max and act as a mentor for him.  "Everyone wants that blasted tiara" gave me my best laugh of the whole week. But the king came in a close second with "You try getting the queen to sit still." 😄

• Like 1

@losolent

Another fantastic chapter and I cannot thank you enough for uploading it so quickly.  It really made my Valentine’s Day to be able to read and feel the immense love between Max and Alex.

I loved the part of this is Max… oh crap what was your last name hahaha! I know that would be me when I meet the man of my dreams.

Also this chapter did get me thinking about Lady T and her daughter.  If I remember they are suppose to be at the ball so I wonder how that is going to go down.  Will it put Max at ease and he will realize his past is not being severed but his relationship with Alex and being in Monrovia is growing all his relationship.

also so curious about the Victoria tiara hehehe will there be a twist there?  Seems like it could be a subtle recurring element in the lives of the royal family hehehe maybe Max will have to wear it 🤣 one day 🤣 

i can’t wait for more!  Loving everything you do @losolent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AznslutSF said:

@losolent

Another fantastic chapter and I cannot thank you enough for uploading it so quickly.  It really made my Valentine’s Day to be able to read and feel the immense love between Max and Alex.

I loved the part of this is Max… oh crap what was your last name hahaha! I know that would be me when I meet the man of my dreams.

Also this chapter did get me thinking about Lady T and her daughter.  If I remember they are suppose to be at the ball so I wonder how that is going to go down.  Will it put Max at ease and he will realize his past is not being severed but his relationship with Alex and being in Monrovia is growing all his relationship.

also so curious about the Victoria tiara hehehe will there be a twist there?  Seems like it could be a subtle recurring element in the lives of the royal family hehehe maybe Max will have to wear it 🤣 one day 🤣 

i can’t wait for more!  Loving everything you do @losolent

Thank you for your kind words.

During the course of the story, I've developed mental images of each character in my head. I've imagined the Dowager Queen as Dame Edyth Evans ( Lady Bracknell style) 🙂 She sounds like a bit of a sweetie... A hard nut to crack but has a very soft centre. I'm looking forward to the gala ball and the Christmas holidays 🙂

• Like 2