First Appointment with HIV clinic

Guest Chub4Poz

Guest Chub4Poz

I had my first appointment today. We know my CD4 but not the Viral load yet. I'm Newly Pozzed. Based on my CD4, they believe I converted within the last 4 months. Based on me just now developing night sweats, he thinks it was within the last 2 months, but that doesn't matter. My CD4 was 850. They want me to start Biktarvy. I'm still trying to get used to all this. So scared of losing my friends right now.

Dude, first thing I had to learn was to

<breathe >

I want you to know EVERYTHING WILL BE OK.

The “friends and family” I lost were never really friends or cared about me in the first place after some reflection on it. Also, don’t think you need to know absolutely everything about all the testing, procedures, latest meds, all the lingo and terminology and on and on and on right away… I had to realize and trust my doctors and more importantly nurses had my best interest and ask for them to explain in plain language. Also know YOU ARE NOT ALONE and YOU ARE LOVED . (Period) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Chub4Poz said:

I had my first appointment today. We know my CD4 but not the Viral load yet. I'm Newly Pozzed. Based on my CD4, they believe I converted within the last 4 months. Based on me just now developing night sweats, he thinks it was within the last 2 months, but that doesn't matter. My CD4 was 850. They want me to start Biktarvy. I'm still trying to get used to all this. So scared of losing my friends right now.

You'll be ok just relax. Those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!  Trust your Dr. he has your best interest at heart always ask questions and learn to pay attention to your body. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All the best fella. Trust your gut to let you know who you can trust sharing this vulnerable part of yourself with and just don't mention it to those you don't trust. 

That said, all the best on your new life path. I've been on it for about 20 years and it just gets better and better!

I hope you have a similar experience. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Chub4Poz said:

Ok take a deep breath, you will be ok. Listen to the doctors. You have no obligation to tell any family or friends it’s your personal business. If you have unprotected sex with someone depending on the situation chose what you feel the right thing to do , and do it. Some will be fine , some will beg for your seed , others may walk. You haven’t changed just your immune system. If you go on meds and become undetectable you are free to make your best decision. All medical and emergency services are trained to treat everyone as if they are POZ. So take your time , think it over and move forward only at your pace. Good luck

11 hours ago, manseeker said:

You have no obligation to tell any family or friends it’s your personal business. If you have unprotected sex with someone depending on the situation chose what you feel the right thing to do , and do it. Some will be fine , some will beg for your seed , others may walk.

Yes, and no.

It's certainly true you don't have to tell any family or friends. But in many jurisdictions, it's flat-out illegal to have sex with someone IF you know you're positive and fail to disclose that fact. Even if you're on HAART. Even if you're undetectable. And yes, there are places where this is still actively prosecuted. So - if you have sex with anyone, disclose. Period.

And beyond the legal ramifications, it's the right thing to do. Yes, we all are responsible for our own sexual health. But let's face it: many of us were young and immature (or older and immature) at one point, and I think we have a general moral obligation to protect others absent a clear indication from them that no protection is wanted.