Hey guys- I got the 2nd dose of both the meningitis and the monkey pox vaccines yesterday. Local news had just reported on a guy who had pain and itching for 2 days after his 2nd shot, so I was a little concerned how my shot would go . ( I am the skin type that I could be in a blizzard in January with 1 inch of skin exposed, and a mosquito would find me and bite me raising a huge welt) A guy I know from the morning coffee shop mentioned he had gotten the shot last week, and it was sorer than the 1st shot, but only a red spot and briefly itched. His husband, who works in an office tho, had a more pronounced reaction with redness up and down the arm and soreness that was uncomfortable. His suggestion was to make sure I moved the arm with the shot as much and as often as possible after getting the shot, which I did. The nurse shot me upper arm inter muscle with the meningitis shot, and sub dermal with the monkeypox midway between the wrist and elbow,and I believe she moved the needle a bit as she injected to spread the fluid bubble out more evenly.  All day yesterday there was almost no sign of the injection site, and no pain. After sleeping a solid 9 hours overnight, I did wake with a quarter sized red area and some itching- but once I got up and made it a point to flex that arm whenever I wasn't using it, the itch and the overall swelling has mostly gone away. 

I will say however, my energy today is less than it usually is. Maybe it was the monkey pox shot, or maybe it was the meningitis shot, or both, or maybe it is just that Ft Lauderdale has been a steam oven for the last month or so and having mowed the front yard yesterday after the shots might have drained me more than anything else. I asked her about after care in light of the news story, and she suggested a Tylenol if a fever happened or if the pain was a problem, and an ice pack on the arm if the swelling/itching got annoying, but not to put any ointments or cream on the site, and not to cover it. 

For those about to get the 2nd dose, I hope this helps out and makes your day after painless and complication free. 

• Upvote 2

I got my 1st shot on Friday. Had it subdermal in the forearm too. The needle hurt more than the shot itself. Was slightly red with a bump a few hours later, but that was the only effect Friday and Saturday though I felt a little itchy in general. Sunday I woke up with a very enlarged bump with a bright pink center that itched, and as of today, I still have it, but the redness has lessened a bit. Felt a little warm and uncomfortable briefly yesterday. I also refrained from scratching it directly because one of the articles I read said that it just makes it itchier if you do. So I kind of scratched around it instead.

2 hours ago, topblkmale said:

The mpx vaccine gives you antibodies similar to the Covid vaccine.

However, there has never been a study to assess the ability to prevent mpx infection or to stop transmissions.

I'm still very curious how this plays out.

Are you saying vaccination works similarly regardless of virus type?  Or are you saying a coronavirus vaccine should protect against a pox virus?  Because those are completely different statements.  There’s no reason to think coronavirus vaccines would work on a different virus like monkeypox.  Similarly, flu vaccines don’t work against coronaviruses or polio viruses.  

41 minutes ago, NEDenver said:

Are you saying vaccination works similarly regardless of virus type?  Or are you saying a coronavirus vaccine should protect against a pox virus?  Because those are completely different statements.  There’s no reason to think coronavirus vaccines would work on a different virus like monkeypox.  Similarly, flu vaccines don’t work against coronaviruses or polio viruses.  

I'm saying, from what I have researched so far, vaccination MAY work similarly regardless of virus type.

I've not been able to find a definitive answer.

I'm curious to know how well the mpx antibodies prevent infection or stop transmission.

52 minutes ago, NEDenver said:

As I read his statement he's saying that a vaccine gives you antibodies to whatever infection that particular vaccine is designed to address, but that since the monkeypox vaccine is relatively new, there haven't been studies that assess how well the vaccine prevents infections or how well it stops transmission (of monkeypox). I don't read what he's saying as confusing the two types of vaccines.

On 8/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, hntnhole said:

since some guy got his leg chewed up looking for a damn frisbee close to the lake.

Alligators are perfectly harmless as long as you sit on top of them and hold their mouths shut.

And don’t annoy them while they’re playing frisbee.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I don't mean to sound selfish or "it's all about me" but my Ryan White case manager called me today and informed me he had set up an appointment for me at his office as well as the secondary appointment for my Monkeypox vaccine.  Imagine that, doing your job!  No seriously, I am incredibly grateful.  I thought I had been forgotten, since I was not part of the south Florida area I assumed I was left out in the cold.  Granted, there were no options, I will  report on a particular date  and time, and I will  have the second shot on a particular date and time.  No changes, no exceptions.  But hey, no standing in line for hours, no standing outside in the hot Florida sun while everyone whispers about my dubious reputation and how there is no doubt I should be included.  

Victory for the obviously  promiscuous!  For once, my lack of common sense is being overlooked for the greater good of the community I live in!!!  Imagine that, in a Republican state governed by a man who would prefer I was dead.  

Okay enough, but yeah I am happy!! So to all you Floridians who are Ryan White case managed, and don't live in the luxury of Wilton Manors, help is on the way!  Just please use some self control and don't have sex with twenty men before your appointment date!  Help is on the way!!!!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rawTOP said:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the 1/5 intradermal produced a better immune response than the full shot into fat. It's just there's slightly more risk of minor side effects.

That said, it's based on a single study. Let's just hope the study authors did their work properly.

While I was in the 15 minute waiting area today, I was approached by someone with a clipboard who identified herself as a CDC employee, and said they were working in conjunction with DC Health to conduct a study of the Mpx vaccine study. I don’t have any more information because they were only looking for first dose recipients, but I am hope they are doing doing an additional study of the 1/5 dose immune response. 

Got my first shot yesterday, the injection site is a little inflamed and forearm is sore.  Also been fatigued and some chills, not sure if that’s normal. I didn’t realize you needed two shots, so I have to go back in month. I had been looking everyday the last month on the local county website but the appointments were always booked.  I guess south Florida just received a big shipment. 

521CC0A8-B32E-47B4-BD4B-95EBA034CD2E.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ellentonboy said:

while everyone whispers about my dubious reputation

Are you kidding? 

Surely you know about the statue of you  on Wilton Manors Drive,  honoring your magnificent accomplishments ???  You're a fucking hero around here ..... literally !!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hntnhole said:

Are you kidding? 

Surely you know about the statue of you  on Wilton Manors Drive,  honoring your magnificent accomplishments ???  You're a fucking hero around here ..... literally !!!!

Very funny, very funny.  I thought the most famous person in Wilton Manors was Antonio Biaggi?  Oh wait, he did run for some elected office and had to indicate his real age - and promptly lost.  Nah, I would just be one of the many souls to have passed through the town - and parked my ass at the Ramrod for five years but that was another life ago.

I do appreciate you recognizing that at some point in the past I did help relieve the needs of the many tops that lived in the area and frequented that bar.  (or employees of the bar who allowed me access to the private employee's bath room!).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TripA84 said:

I guess south Florida just received a big shipment. 

That's true - and it's being shipped to <polite cough> "hot spots" all over the country.  "Hot" being defined by areas where there are a lot of rawmen fucking each other.

That looks exactly like my arm did when I got the first shot - but the bump/redness was gone in maybe 6 hours.  The itch went away in even less time, and it was barely noticeable.  You'll be out with us, doing what you need to do in short order, bud .... 

1 minute ago, hntnhole said:

LOL - and I didn't know Biaggi ran for office around here !!!   Must have been before I arrived in SoFl.  I'd have voted for him, and contributed to his cumpaign fund too.  

Yes he did, and was trounced.  Funny item on that - he used his mother's maiden name as his last name so that folks could not google him and find out his past.  So the name "Biaggi" never was on the "ticket" so to speak, it was his mother's last name.  I can't remember if it was for city council or some almost,  I hate to say this, "entry level" political position.  I don't think it was for a position on the School Board (I doubt he graduated from high school, he was already making Machofucker videos at 17) but I believe it was for a city council position perhaps.  Lying about his age was true Antonio, I think he states in his "profiles" at least at that time he was 39 but his actual age was 42.  No big deal on that, but I wasn't surprised.  I think information on him entering  the race was covered by either Querety.com or LGBT News (I know, true institutes of journalism) but yes he did run.  He did lose, and that was the last I heard of his political career.  I used to follow him on Twitter till I got a restraining order due to all the DMs I sent him, so right now I have a "no contact" order regarding Mr. Biaggi.   If you hear anything about him, please let me know.  My sources have dried up, or moved to Palm Springs (which is probably what happened to them once they got there).  Okay enough on Antonio, don't call him Tony he hates that!

As far as I know, I've never met him ..... but then, I don't ask questions like that in the fuckjoints either.  If he's still around though, I may have seen him over at RR, and didn't know it.  

However, speaking of politicians/elections, I'm glad that Demings is going to go after Our Dancing Daughter .... hopefully kick his sodden ass out on the street.  I doubt that Christ can dislodge DeathSantis though ...