Eros is closing up shop and moving out of the Castro.

I’m foolishly optimistic.

[think before following links] https://brokeassstuart.com/2021/11/15/after-30-years-sfs-only-gay-sex-club-is-moving-eros/

Edited by sleazepup
Tried to make links clickable, to alleviate the need for both hands so you can keep doing what you’re doing, stud. Unfortunately, it did not work. Thanks Javascript!

I was never a big fan of Eros, usually went there, if I met someone online, and neither of us could host; it did have that nostalgic feeling, due to it being in the Castro. 

lets hope the Eros management might open up the Water Garden in San Jose, again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went once and was fucking a guy upstairs. I finished and pulled out and an Eros employee grabbed both of our arms and said "Come on". I said "What? Why?" and he said I was bare fucking. I held up my hand and showed him the condom I peeled off as I pulled out. He said "Oh Ok", and left us alone. I really hated their condom only policy. I much prefer a club that is all bareback all the time. I always tell guys I'm poz before I put it in and I haven't been refused yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 11:08 PM, SFWalkinguy said:

I went once and was fucking a guy upstairs. I finished and pulled out and an Eros employee grabbed both of our arms and said "Come on". I said "What? Why?" and he said I was bare fucking. I held up my hand and showed him the condom I peeled off as I pulled out. He said "Oh Ok", and left us alone. I really hated their condom only policy. I much prefer a club that is all bareback all the time. I always tell guys I'm poz before I put it in and I haven't been refused yet.

I wouldn’t refuse you either. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Interesting. I used to go there pretty regularly back in the late 90s, mostly because it was a lot more convenient than SoMA or Berkeley.

Just at a guess, I'd say they are putting their bets on the tourist and travel market as opposed to the locals, who are far less concentrated in the Castro area than they were a few decades ago. The current location is pretty invisible from the touristy part of the Castro anyway, so it's neither obvious enough (in the heart of the Castro) nor convenient enough (near the downtown hotels) to have good pull in that market.

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:08 PM, SFWalkinguy said:

I too prefer all-bare, all the time, but in defense of Eros, they were honoring the rules established by San Francisco's Department of Public Health.

At the height of the AIDS crisis, allowing sex clubs to continue operating in the City was controversial, and safeguards were imposed. A decision had to be made long before research had proven that U=U, and indeed, before cocktails made it possible for HIV+ people to have an undetectable viral load. One of the restrictions was no enclosed private rooms in sex clubs, hence the installation of tents inside Eros.

Interestingly, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors finally voted to vacate the crisis-era bathhouse regulations in 2020. Now that, I would say, was way too long, but then again, Eros was for years the one remaining bathhouse in the City, and people could go to Berkley or San José (RIP Steamworks!), or even just patronize bar backrooms or adult arcades in the City, it they desired full freedom to breed.

Edited by fskn
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 4:44 PM, PupDearCanu said:

FYI Eros has announced that the new location is the old Bulldog Baths and once the permits are okayed it will reopen at 132 Turk

Some good news for a change. if my memory serves me well the Bulldog Baths, where closed during the height of the AIDS epidemic, correct? I am hoping Eros will keep the private rooms. 

On 3/17/2022 at 11:44 PM, PupDearCanu said:

FYI Eros has announced that the new location is the old Bulldog Baths and once the permits are okayed it will reopen at 132 Turk

Oh dear... Right in the middle of the tenderloin. Getting off civic center at night is already an adventure... 

• Moderators

Eros has announced that the new location is the old Bulldog Baths and once the permits are okayed it will reopen at 132 Turk

Oh dear... Right in the middle of the tenderloin. Getting off civic center at night is already an adventure... 

Yeah, definitely a rough neighborhood. Well, their motto is (or used to be) "A Clean, Well-lighted Place for Sex". Perhaps they are hoping to provide a nucleus for gentrification? 😉