Simple Question/poll. Whats Your Hiv Status.

wood

What's your HIV status?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. What's your HIV status?

• HIV negative
    • HIV negative on PrEP
    • HIV positive not on medication
    • HIV positive undetectable on meds
    • Don't know

I have no idea, I guess my last test was a bit over a year ago.

It's something I've been meaning to do, but since I started barebacking I've been enjoying dumping mystery loads in anon holes a little too much to bother. I have a doctors appointment next month so I might as well get it sorted then. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just heard from a reliable source that pos with undetectable loads do not transmit hiv. PReP is effective if regimen is followed. Put those things together, we are back in business. HIV controlled and bare sex is safe sex. GET TESTED and GET ON MEDS.

• Upvote 2

Just as the topic states. I put "don't know" in there, and would suggest that guys who haven't been tested in over a year answer "don't know" even if their last test was neg.  You could also answer "don't know" for example if you feel like there is a strong chance you were recently infected, but haven't been tested yet.  The other answers are self explanatory, but feel free to elaborate in a post if you want. 

Technically, everyone who has had bareback sex at any time between now and about three months before your last HIV test should be saying "Don't Know". 

Unless you've been on PrEP that whole time, in which case, good for you!

Negative, on PrEp.

Positive guys not on meds, are you not feeling ill or just waiting to hit AIDS, then what?

I was first diagnosed back in 2002.  Had been expecting it for some time, but it still hit me unexpectedly hard.  Took a bit of adjustment.  They actually advised me to go on meds as soon as I could (I met the then-criteria for when to begin treatment...they tended to hold off on treatment a little bit back in those days until your CD4 counts dropped below a certain threshold). 

Even so, I didn't start meds for about a year because I wasn't psychologically ready to handle a permanent medication regimen involving being disciplined about taking them on time, dealing with side effects, etc., etc.  I was still actually handling coming face to face with my own mortality for the very first time in my life.

And it's good I did hold off a bit.  My first regimen had some bad side effects.  Not horrifically bad, but bad enough that the thought of taking them and living with those side effects day after day, month after month, year after year until I died really added to the depression I was going through.  If I'd gone through that while I was handling the initial shock of my diagnosis I would have been all kinds of fucked up.  (I was all kinds of fucked in any case...this was about the time my drug abuse started taking off, and I don't think that was a coincidence...but I would have been even worse).

Point being, the rational thing for anyone who is poz is to go on meds.  But the rational answer isn't always the right answer. 

Even so, if you're poz, take your meds.  You're too damn precious to play Russian Roulette with your life.  And for Dog's sake don't be a big male dumbass like I was...if you're hurting, ask for help.

• Upvote 2

Technically, everyone who has had bareback sex at any time between now and about three months before your last HIV test should be saying "Don't Know". 

Unless you've been on PrEP that whole time, in which case, good for you!

ive been on PrEP for over 2.5 years and have missed less than 5 doses total in that period, so im pretty confident.