Life Of The Spare

With the number of people in the Palace aware of when happened between Alex and Max, I'm sure that there will be as many in London aware too. I'm sure that Max will be urged to make an appearance at the Christmas party, but we will have to wait on Losolent, our puppet master, to find out. After all ... he's holding all the strings. What a tale you have woven 😉

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Part 29 - The World Of Fashion

The journey in the royal car was quick to the restaurant and Liam opened the door to the restaurant stepping in before the prince, the restaurant owner immediately knew who Liam was and dashed over to the door 'Your royal highness' he said bowing his head and leading them over to a private booth. Josh found it completely amusing how all the patrons of the restaurant stood and bowed as Alex walked past. Growing up in the country his family of course knew of the royal family but nothing could prepare him for how real life royalty worked since they had never come across them. Seeing this different angle on life from the prince's perspective certainly had his eyes opened. Then all the fussing made over them both whilst Liam sat at another table with the driver guarding his prince who had to seat facing in the direction of his protection officer.

"This is certainly out of this world your majesty" Josh said opening the menu.
"Oh!" Alex said looking up from his menu.
Josh looked at him "Sorry did I do something wrong?" he asked nervously.
Alex nodded "Yes but don't worry, I am a highness not a majesty" he corrected him.
"So what's the difference then?" Josh asked, really having no idea.
Alex smiled "Majesty is for monarchs" he said, "I am a prince so known as his royal highness".
"Right" Josh said nodding, "Do you ever get bored of it, all these people bowing?" he asked.
Alex laughed growing fond of Josh "Since we have only just met you get the proper response".
Josh chuckled "So come one then what is the proper one?" he asked.
Alex sighed "Sometimes it is tedious. I am conditioned to it, born in to it" he replied.
Josh nodded opening his menu "What a load of tosh" he said quietly glancing up at Alex and smiling.
Alex looked at his menu "That answer is all you need to know for now!" he replied grinning away.
"Dam fancy food in here" Josh said looking up again, "What do I choose?" he asked.
"Anything you want. Or you can ask for anything off menu as well" Alex informed him.
"Really just want some fried chicken and chips, I like plain food" Josh replied.

Alex called the owner over and ordered for Josh and a small salad for himself. The whole two hours were completely surreal for him, sitting at a quiet table directly opposite a member of the royal family who chatted quite candidly about all manner of things except his royal life. Josh had enjoyed telling the prince all about his work and his personal collection of designs that had grown but yet to be brought to the shops as he had no time. Alex asked more about his shop in Victoria and his ambitions. In truth Josh had grown on Alex, he liked Josh more and more as they found they had some very uncanny similarities in their humour and laughing quite a lot over dinner. He knew his heart was no in it yet he had no idea how Josh was feeling, all he did see was a person clearly uncomfortable with all the fuss being made over them. There was nothing wrong about the evening, no indication of anything between them but you can never hide from people who like a little attention themselves, a few tables away one person discreetly took a photo of the prince and young man he was dining with. The photo captured them both laughing looking at each other at ease. Liam tapped his watch and Alex nodded, within five minutes they left the restaurant and back in the safety of the royal car, Alex insisting on dropping Josh off at his home. The royal car made it's way to the suburbs and pulled up outside a decent sized house where Josh lived.

"Do you, or perhaps you would like to do this again?" Josh asked having enjoyed his evening.
Alex looked pensively at him "Not a date though just hang out" Josh added quickly.
Alex smiled "Yes Josh, I would love to go out with you again if you are agreeable to that".
Josh nodded "So do I wait for you to call me or what?" he now asked.
Alex chuckled "How about Friday evening?" he asked.
"Excellent, but I insist on paying this time" Josh replied adamantly.
"Okay, I was thinking maybe the Christmas market on the boardwalk by the lake?" Alex suggested.
Josh smiled "Yes what a good idea!" he enthused as Liam opened the door.
"Casual wear though" Alex called to him, "I will pick you at 6pm" he said.
"I will look forward to it" Josh replied, "Thank you your highness" he said bowing his head.

Liam could see Alex was in a quite a happy mood as the car headed back to the palace, maybe his prince had found someone he liked and could nurture a relationship with finally putting Max out of his mind. Liam certainly approved of him having seen how he had made Alex laugh the entire time they were together. Alex though was keeping his cards close to his chest, he didn't feel anything there and really liked Josh immensely on a friend level. His only hope was that Josh was feeling the same way, he really needed a friend like him outside of his world. It certainly made the following days easier with the constant text messaging going on between them. Friday morning Alex turned over as Artem placed a cup of coffee by his bed and quietly walked out having first laid some clothes out for the prince. Alden burst past Artem waving the paper in his hand and looking mischievous as he shouted to his brother to get up.

"What do you want?" Alex mumbled and rolling on to his back looking up at Alden.
Alden laughed "You made the papers this morning" he replied throwing it on to Alex's chest.
"Who is he?" Alden asked jumping on the bed and sitting next to his brother.
Alex raised himself up "Who is who, what do you mean?" Alex asked slightly confused.

He picked up the paper looking at the front page and the picture of him with Josh at dinner the other night, he eyes wandered to the headline 'Has our Royal Prince Alexander found his beau?'. Alex sighed and dropped the paper wandering how Josh was going to take to being splashed over the front page. Alden clearly enjoying this picked it up and read to Alex 'His Royal Highness Prince Alexander was spotted dining the other night with one of Monrovia's upcoming young fashion designer and retail owner Josh Franks of Frankly Fashion. The two were seen at the exclusive Juno restaurant clearly enjoying each others company. Has our Prince Alexander found his knight in shining armour and months of speculation ended?'. Alden laid back and giggled uncontrollably. Alex stared in horror and shock, this is precisely what he didn't want to happen. One photo was taken out of all context and now the world would know.

Alex looked at the picture again "Oh god Alden!" he said glancing at his brother.
Alden smiled "Mother is not impressed" he said, "You know she doesn't like surprises at breakfast".
"Fuck!" Alex said as Artem walked back in the bedroom, "You come to judge me as well?" he asked.
Artem bowed his head "Your highness I would never judge you" he said then smiled, "Tramp!" he muttered giggling.
"Fuck you Artem!" Alex said laughing.
Artem bowed his head "I have put some relevant clothes out for you!" he said still giggling like a child.
Francis then popped by looking for Alden "Alright tart!" he said then bowed to them both.
"Francis that is no way to speak to my brother" Alden said grinning away.
Alex folded his arms looking at Francis "You took your time to come and see me!" he complained.
"Crown Prince Alden is keeping me really busy" Francis replied rolling his eyes.
Alex looked between them "You only have to throw a sack on him" he said to Francis.
Francis chuckled "You think! The princess here is so picky about clothes, worse than you!".
Alden laughed "I thought Jackson was keeping you busy" he retorted with a big smirk.
"Now now girls, play nicely!" Artem remarked then saw the look he was getting and bolted out.
Artem laughed running out through the dressing room then stopped "Your majesty" he was heard saying.
"Oh crap!" Alex said as his mother walked in to his bedroom.
"So this is where all the fun is then!" she said as Francis bowed and left the room.
"Morning mother" Alex said trying to keep things light hearted.
"Morning mother!" she mocked raising her voice, "Is that it?" she asked pointing to the paper.
Alex grinned "I know right! Can you believe what they have written?" he asked.
"Details Alex, now!" she said sitting on the bed tapping at the paper.

Artem arrived back in the bedroom bringing coffee for them all as Alex was slowly explaining and keeping it light hearted making funny jokes about the governor premier trying to get him married off.

Across the city Josh arrived at the boutique to find it flagged by the press clambering to take photos of him as he pushed his way through trying to get in to the store. The noise and questions being fired at him were all confused until he hear one clearly 'Can you confirm you are dating Prince Alexander?' the lady from Bonjour magazine shouted to him. Josh stopped and took a moment then quickly darted inside the store locking the door. His phone was ringing in his pocket and he pulled it out to see Alex was calling, he couldn't deal with this right now and and sent a text telling him he would call when things quietened down at his store. The press stood outside waiting and taking photos at every opportunity when he walked around the boutique, Josh hid in his workshop and sat down. His customers would not be able to get in to the store which was bad for business, on the other hand business might boom due to his link with the prince. It was certainly not how he wanted to be known, he wanted to make his own mark on the industry and now he was wondering if this whole thing was a mistake. 

Alex spoke to Scott head of palace security who called in a favour with the local police to go to the store and break up the gathering press. With his mother's agreement Alex said he would issue a statement in person later that afternoon by the gates of the palace, his hope would be that it would snow hard and interest would have waned by then. Everything was set for a 4pm press conference and Alex spent a few hours going through what he was going to say. He was just about done when his phone rang.

"Josh, thank god you called back" Alex said answering the phone.
"Sorry it was just mad and I had no idea what was going on" Josh explained to Alex.
"Have you seen it then?" Alex asked and Josh confirmed he knew now what was going on.
"Have the press gone now?" Alex asked, "I am making a statement at 4pm".
"What about?" Josh asked raising his pitch slightly.
"That we were having dinner and that is all" Alex explained.
Josh was silent for a moment "Will they will stop pestering me then?".
"You might be a few hanging around but they will get bored" Alex said hopefully.

As promised Alex made a statement in person to the gathered press and he spoke clearly and confidently to the microphones recording his every word, expressing that there was no romantic involvement and they were enjoying dinner as friends. With that Alex left and walked back along the driveway to the palace. He couldn't help wondering if Josh had held back earlier because he was beginning to have feelings for him. He was hoping that the little episode today would not interfere with their plan to go out tomorrow, he owed it to himself to see if he was right about there being no romantic tendency there though. 

Friday had been a long day and he sat there looking at the news article of Prince Alexander and the statement denying any romantic liaison with Josh Franks. The bar was busy as usual for this time of week with people letting their hair down now the working week was over for many of them, Gareth came over handing him a bottle of beer.

"How is the world of gardening going?" Max asked as Gareth sat opposite.
Gareth nodded "Good, I am thinking of branching out on my own, working in the royal parks is good though".
"You should" Max agreed, "You are a good at what you do and you can design gardens!" he reminded him.
"So are you still doing internet searches on him?" Gareth asked changing the subject.
"Yeah" Max replied sheepishly, "Interest that is all" he added as Gareth stared at him, "What?".
"Seriously Max you are not fooling me!" Gareth said sipping his beer.
Max looked up at him "What is that suppose to mean?" he asked wondering what he was getting at.
"You are bordering on obsession with him because you love him so much" Gareth added.
Max shrugged "I am only looking at what he is up to" he replied, "Curiosity that is all".
"Do I need to spell it out to you?" Gareth asked in a moaning tone.
Max stared at the picture "Turning your back on him because of who he is" Gareth added.
"It is not that" Max replied looking up, "Well partly, I would be a shadow walking behind him".
"Did he say you would have to?" Gareth asked jumping on his response quickly.
Max shook his head gently "Anyway he seems to have found someone, denying it as royalty do".
"Listen Max. Either snap out of it or go and get him" Gareth said a little angry with him.
Max turned his phone off "Now who is being stupid!" he exclaimed.
Gareth drank some more beer "You will only have yourself to blame in the end" he replied.

This conversation was not helping Max at all, it was very rare that Gareth approved of anyone he was interested in. It was clear that his best friend liked Alex since he was pushing for him to sort it out. Max swiftly changed the subject considering he had been through roughly the same conversation with his parents that morning. His mother in fact had told him off and used the word dick head, something he never thought he would coming from her mouth. She was more upset finding out that this Alex guy he was in love with had left London by the time he got the hotel. Max desperately wanted to tell them who he actually was, he knew doing that would probably make it even worse. Thankfully only Gareth, Louis and Asa knew who the person actually was and like true friends they had kept their mouths firmly closed, even his boss kept quiet. All he could think about during work was the prince out with this new man in his life, then it didn't help to find out that Asa was going to Monrovia to paint Alex's portrait in January. And when Asa found out that Max had turned the prince down he went ballistic on Max as well. So much for keeping things quiet and secretive he thought to himself banging the lip of the bottle against his teeth softly and contemplating every thing that had happened since that night in the hotel. He was at a complete loss, only his mothers words of wisdom kept ringing in his ears. 

It didn't stop Max running the numerous videos of Alex in his royal role, meeting people, looking all official in his fancy dress. He was totally infatuated with the prince and desperately wanted to be with him, he was a prince and that type of life was not in Max's destination, or so he thought. His parents only saw Max pining for the person who he was in love with, little did they know how impactful the one Max loved could have on all their lives. 

Alex decided to go for a swim before meeting up with Josh later, he walked in to the passageway and down the stairs to the basement gym and pool. He could hear someone already in the pool swimming away, excitement growing in him expecting to see Francis who was still an avid swimmer and runner when Jackson left him alone. Bounding in he jumped in the pool with a big splash then went bright red as he came face to face with Tom.

"Your royal highness" Tom said bowing his head, "I didn't see you arrive" he apologised.
"How are you Tom, are you loving palace life?" Alex asked.
Tom smirked "Better than what I thought it would be your highness" he replied.
"Oh!" Alex remarked in surprise, "In what way?" he asked as curiosity got the better of him.
Tom chuckled "The inappropriate behaviour of the stable master" he replied smirking at Alex.
"Ah! You have met Marty I take it?" Alex asked and pretending he didn't know.
Tom laughed "Yeah he didn't take long to track me down" he replied wading closer to Alex.

Alex stared at him slightly nervous and wondering what Marty meant by Tom being handful to cope with. For such a young man he was certainly sturdily built and very confident with his sexuality, a complete opposite to Alex in many ways. Seeing his body again close up was enough to stir up his sexual feelings the more he stared at Tom. Despite his decision not to go down that route for fear of getting a reputation amongst palace staff he was fighting a losing battle. It didn't help that Tom was so close now and he could almost feel the warmth from his body, eyes fixated on Tom, his face moved closer and closer. Finally his lips made direct contact then opened pushing his tongue in to Alex's mouth for a brief moment, then he repeated the action with Alex so lost he never realised he was reacting to his kissing. Each one lingered longer and longer getting more of Tom's tongue in his mouth, tasting him and arousing his body even more until they finally locked lips and engaged in deep long kiss. Tom reached round holding Alex firmly in his arms assaulting the prince's mouth with his tongue. It took Alex a few minutes to react and push Tom off.

"Sorry I should not have let you do that" Alex apologised feeling embarrassed.
Tom smiled "That has made my day!" he remarked and swam off leaving Alex standing there.
Alex swam a few lengths then stopped by Tom "You are very assured of yourself" he said.
Tom glanced at him "Always been brought up never to hide away from anything" he replied.
"I see you still got the bruises from the riding crop" Alex remarked and giggled a little.
"You should see Marty" Tom replied, "I caught him off guard and did him as well".
Alex looked at him in shock "You got to fuck Marty?" he asked in a quiet tone.
"Yup" Tom replied, "Give and take. Well I told him that when I was fucking and whipping him".
Alex laughed "God wish I had the balls to do that back to him" he said smiling.
Tom laughed "Apparently you turn to jelly when Marty talks to you" he informed Alex.
"Is that so?" Alex questioned then went silent, "Yes I do, it is his voice that does it".
"You are still on my hit list if you want me to fuck you around the bedroom" Marty offered.
Alex grinned stupidly "Is that your best pick up line?" he asked, "Let me think about it Tom".

Alex finished his swim and Tom stood there holding the towel to dry the prince, Alex smirked shaking his head but let Tom do it anyway hoping he would get another kiss. He wasn't disappointed when Tom kissed him then slipped his hand over Alex's arse and stuck a finger in his hole making Alex laugh. He was so tempted to jump in to bed with Tom and he was guessing that this would possibly be an even more intense sexual meet than what Marty provided. He just needed to get his head in the right place first. They kissed one final time and went their separate ways.

Liam drove Artem and Alex to pick Josh up from his house then on to the boardwalk on the shores of the lake. The ground covered in snow and snowflakes fluttered in the still air as they entered the Christmas market. Liam as always a few steps behind with Artem was never out of sight and kept a close watch on Alex as the four of them explored together, eating and drinking copious amounts of hot chocolate. Artem and Josh were certainly peas in a pod giggling away to each other, so much so that it was hard to distinguish if Artem was straight. Alex was happy that they could do this all together. As expected some press were there doing articles on the market when they snapped more pictures of Alex and Josh together laughing and sharing a hot dog. They finally found a table at one stall that had a heater and the four of them sat down to warm up. 

"Thank you for coming Josh I wasn't sure if you would after what happened" Alex said quietly.
Josh smiled "I like your company and you are fun to be with" he replied.
Liam returned with hot chocolate "I got you a skinny version" he said handing it to Alex, "No marshmallows".
Alex looked at it "Get me some marshmallows?" he said pushing it back towards Liam.
Liam sat down "Don't be a spoilt brat, can't have you getting fat for Sunday" he replied smirking.
"Sunday... What are you doing Sunday?" Josh asked out of interest.
"Theatre" Alex replied rolling his eyes, "I don't mind it actually" he added.
"You should put him in one of your suits" Artem suggested joining in the conversation.
Josh sniggered "Hmm... might be too fat with all those marshmallows he has eaten already" he replied.
Alex looked at the grin on his face "Fucking cheek all of you!" he said bursting out in laughter.
Josh picked a marshmallow from his mug and placed it in Alex's mug "Come to the shop tomorrow".
Alex smiled "Thank you! he said looking smugly at Liam, "And yes I will".

Their evening went on until way past midnight with Josh being dropped off and reminding Alex to come by the store at 11am. Liam and Artem had enjoyed a great evening out especially so because Alex had cheered up no end and they knew it was Josh being around him with his quick wit keeping the prince on his toes. 

By morning the pictures of Alex out on the town at the Christmas market were all over the papers and on-line again fuelling the speculation around the prince and Josh. Max resisted as long as could before doing another search on Prince Alexander and instantly the pictures and articles dazzled on his screen 'His Royal Highness enjoyed an evening at Victoria's Christmas market with fashion entrepreneur Josh Franks. Prince Alexander along with the royal family will be attending the Monrovia Ballet Royal's new production on Sunday evening at what is expected to be a star studied night'. There was that guy Josh in the picture again along with Liam and Artem who Max was fortunate to know as well, but strangely it only focused on Alex and Josh. It did nothing to cheer his mood up that damp and cold Saturday morning sat in the kitchen at home.

"Nice looking young man that prince" Stephanie said catching Max by surprise.
Max looked as his mother sat down "I never did show you the picture of the guy from Mauritius" he said.
"Wait you have a picture of him?" she asked, "The one from Mauritius that... Let me see?".
Max nodded "You won't freak out if I show you?" he asked.
His mother laughed "Why. Should I freak out?" she asked taking his phone.

It was only one picture that Alex would allow, a selfie Max took on the beach of them both laying on the sand laughing. They both had a twinkle in their eyes that looked like they had been in love for years. She only saw a handsome young man in the picture until Max found the latest picture of Alex on his laptop and turned the screen to show her.

"Do you understand why it has been so hard?" Max asked looking at her who went deathly quiet.
"No way!" she suddenly said looking up at Max, "Right! A lot of things are clearer now".
"Please don't say anything to anyone about who he is" Max pleaded looking at her.
Stephanie nodded "Is he really in love with you?" she now asked handing him his phone.
Max nodded "Yes. The problem is we both fell in love and he is a prince" he said.
She poured a coffee and thinking for a moment "Do something about it Max" she said kindly.
Max turned off his phone "Fate brought him to London and you meeting again" his mother added.
"Do you think so?" Max asked looking over at her.
"Your life adapts for the person you love. You can not change that no matter who it is" she said.
"Not that speech again!" Max said putting his head in his hands, "I need to clear my head".

Max put his cup in the dishwasher and kissed his mother, wrapped up warmly he walked out heading towards Hyde Park to spend a few hours trying to make sense of his decisions in life. Stephanie sat there unable to believe what had just happened when Lawrence walked wearing only his boxers. She told him to sit down pouring him a coffee and told him what Max had just told her. It took even longer to hit home for Max's father after Stephanie explained the second time that their son had fallen in love with a prince.

The royal car pulled up promptly at 11am at Frankly Fashion's boutique, a few loitering photographers snapped the event of the prince along with his protection officer and personal assistant arriving. Josh came rushing out of the design workshop and ushered Alex in to a locked room that housed the designs he had been privately working on. They spent some time looking at the suits that Josh was so proud of even though he hadn't revealed any of them to the world yet.

"Wow look at all of these suits" Alex exclaimed taken back, "You designed them all?" he asked. 
"Yes" Josh replied standing next to him, "I haven't released any of these yet".
Alex looked at him "Why not, they are amazing?" he replied.
Josh shrugged "This one!" Alex said looking at a suit that instantly took his eye.
Josh nodded "It needs a little altering but yes" he replied smiling.
Josh started taking Alex measurements "Josh can I ask you a question?" Alex asked turning his head.
He stopped what he was doing before looking up at him "I suppose, being you" he replied giggling.
Alex fumbled "I... how do you feel?" he asked, "About us?" he added clarifying the question.
"Ah!" Josh said a little stumped, "I am not sure how to answer, I mean I like you" he said.
Alex nodded "But no spark between us?" he now asked.
Josh bit his lip "I am sorry Alex, I mean you are sexy and really kind..." he stuttered the words.
"Josh!" Alex said interrupting him, "It is okay, I feel the same way" he informed him.
"So you are not in love with me?" Josh asked looking and assessing his response.
Alex shook his head "In a weird friends way yes, but sexually no" he replied smiling.
Josh smiled "I was sort of scared to say anything because of who you are" he admitted.
"You know I had my heart broken in London" Alex said confiding in him.
Josh stopped what he was doing and looked at Alex "He must have been an idiot to let you go".
Alex shrugged "He found out by accident who I was" he said sadly. 
"Well your highness it is not who you are. There is simply nothing romantic here" Josh explained.
"Freaked you out the other day at dinner though" Alex replied grinning.
Josh chuckled "I never expected to be sat next to you. Glad I was though".
The both breathed a huge sigh of relief "So I guess after today that is it" Josh said.
Alex turned to face him "Absolutely not, I like you and we get on" he said adamantly.
Josh smiled tightening the tape measure "So no fucking then" he said chuckling.
Alex blushed slightly "I guess we shouldn't" he replied looking at Josh's reflection in the mirror.
Josh looked up and smiled "We should at least kiss once" Alex suggested.
"That is the least I can do as you are wearing my clothes" Josh replied smirking.
Alex laughed "That and we can say we tried" he said, "I mean after all the governor did set us up".

Josh laughed so hard he had prop himself up against a mannequin that toppled over with Josh following. Alex held out his hand helping Josh to stand up leaving them inches from each other. Alex took the step and put his arms around Josh then lightly touched his lips lingering until they kissed. It was only brief but it did what it was meant to do and they both smiled and shook their heads in unison with Josh remarking that it was nice but no spark, Alex agreed and gave Josh a hug.

Josh finished doing the measurements "How can I get it you tomorrow?" he asked.
Alex buttoned up his shirt "Come with me" he replied to a now confused Josh, "To the ballet" Alex added.
"Oh! Okay. I mean is it alright for me to come?" Josh replied, "It will fuel the gossip".
Alex nodded "I know it will" he replied, "I haven't many normal friends, that is if you want".
Alex looked at him "Normal!" Josh replied laughing, "Friends then" he said smiling.
"Come to the palace at 5pm and you can get changed in my apartment" Alex informed Josh.
"Thanks. Now I need to find a suit to wear" Josh replied beaming.
"I like this one I think you will look perfect wearing it" Alex said handing him the suit.

Liam handed Josh a card with a his mobile number on and telling him to call when he arrived at the palace gates. Josh nodded still feeling like his world was a little surreal right now, he could never imagined that the business dinner would have lead to him being friends with Prince Alexander. Liam gave Josh a quick rundown about how discretion was required if he was to be friends with Alex. Josh's seamstress worked hard and finished the alterations early Sunday morning and hung the suit up, he was rightly proud of his work and packed the suit in a carrier then packed the suit for himself that Alex had chosen. The prince certainly had an eye for detail when it came to what he liked he thought, that and he chose one design that Josh thought was quite ordinary. Arriving at the large gilded ornate gates promptly at 5pm and called the mobile number having a quick conversation with Liam. A security officer came through the pedestrian gate and his name and state ID card were checked then he was directed to drive through and park on the left at the security building. Getting out of the car he was subjected to a security screening along with the suit carriers and his ruck sack, to him every thing just seemed so weird actually standing inside the palace gates as he noticed a flashy BMW car approaching and spotting Liam driving it. Liam waited whilst the security check was completed and beckoned Josh over to the waiting car.

"A bit flashy just to drive it down from the palace" Josh remarked grinning.
Liam smiled "I am not walking in the snow" he replied getting Josh settled in.
"Can I ask Liam, how do you cope with all this?" Josh asked out of interest.
Liam shrugged "I have no idea, to me it is my job and life, it is what I always wanted to do" he replied.
"Seems all to fantasy land like" Josh said mindlessly, "If you get my meaning".
Liam chuckled "I love my job Josh" he said, "Working for the prince has never been boring".

The car pulled in to garage out of the snow and Liam closed the automated doors then taking Josh through several corridors before typing a code on a keypad at a door and entering in to the palace. Josh joked that he could have walked here the time it took them meander through the passageways and eventually coming out opposite Alex's royal apartment. Josh looked around the hallway with his mouth open at how every thing seemed to be in a place on purpose and the exquisite décor. Liam knocked and opened the door entering in to the lounge where Alex laid on the sofa watching a film on the TV.

"Josh!" Alex cried out and jumping up off the sofa, "Thank you Liam" he said as Liam bowed.
"Oh, err, right" Josh fumbled, "Your royal highness" he said bowing his head.
"Hell, do that again and I will kick you out!" Alex said laughing, "Only in public" he insisted.
Liam placed the suit carriers in the dressing room and returned "Better do as he says" he remarked.
Alex glanced at him "If you have finished clear off" he said trying to ignore Liam.
Liam walked past snubbing Alex "If he annoys you call me, I am across the hall" he said to Josh.
Josh looked around the lounge "Quite ordinary really" he said looking at Alex.
Alex chuckled "What did you expect?" he asked, "Precious stones every where?".

Josh laughed and Alex took him on a tour of his apartment explaining that it was little in comparison to his parents. Josh stood there shaking his head explaining that he could fit his whole house in the lounge alone. They settled down and chatted a while before Artem appeared instructing Alex to get dressed. Even Artem was impressed with the suit Josh had brought for Alex and joking that he would never be able to afford one like it. Liam walked in and smiling and nodding at how well dressed the both of them looked. Alex walked with Josh towards the family lounge where his parents and Alden were all meeting before heading to the cars. Not wanting to freak Josh out he explained what the protocols with his parents and brother was. Alex had already spoke to them about Josh attending the ballet as his guest this evening, they walked up to the doors of the family lounge. The two footmen bowed and opened the lounge doors allowing Alex and Josh to enter, his nerves kicked in seeing the King and Queen of Monrovia standing there. He was welcomed warmly with the king and Alden showing a great deal of interest in the suit Alex was wearing which resulted in them asking Josh to tailor them a suit as well. Josh was bowled over at the request to provide a suit for the king, the queen was a little disappointed when she found out that he only designed menswear and tried to coerce him into designing an evening gown for her. Alex couldn't help laughing as Josh seemed to be completely lost for words explaining that he would try to design a one off for the queen. 

The star studded ballet had brought many of Europe's elite to Monrovia as it always did on special occasions. The paparazzi were lined up along with the public to get a glimpse of the royal family on their arrival at the Victoria Royal Theatre. Josh walked behind Alex with Liam along the red carpet, shouts from the waiting press asking if he was dating the prince officially went unanswered as Liam had briefed Josh to only look ahead and stay two paces behind Alex. Entering the royal box the entire theatre stood placing their right hand over their heart as the Monrovia national anthem struck up. A rapturous applause followed and the king and queen took their seats followed by every one else. Josh sat next to Alex still in shock as the people looked up, they all seemed to be looking at him trying to second guess what was going on between him and the prince. That and the very real reality of sitting one seat away from the queen, in royal protocol fashion Alden to the right of his father and Alex to the left of his mother and the dowager queen to the right of Alden. After the royal family had been back stage to meet the Ballet Royal dancers they returned to join Josh at the front of the house then all of them where whisked away in their cars back to the palace.

"Did you enjoy your evening Josh?" Alden asked who was sat next to him.
Josh nodded "Yes your highness, it was quite something to watch a ballet" he said politely.
Alden smirked "Yeah not my thing" he said, "Alex loves it, secret ballerina you know, dancing around is quarters".
Alex reached over and punched his brother "Fuck you!" he said giggling.
Alden grabbed his hand "Sugar plumb fairy!" he said winding Alex up even more.
Both Nick, Alden's protection officer and Liam stepped in "Pack it in!" Liam said holding Alex.
"So you screwing my brother?" Alden asked completely out of the blue.
"Alden!" Alex exclaimed, "Do not answer that!" he told Josh, "Stop being rude to our guest".

Alden laughed looking between them trying to wind Alex up even more. Nick and Liam sitting opposite the prince's and Josh both smirking trying to hold their laughter in at Alden's comments which was so unlike him being so chilled out. The royal car arrived back at the palace behind the king and queen's car. Alex had not seen Nick since that weird afternoon in the massage room and he took a sneaky glance at the same time Nick looked at him and nodded. The secretive yet subtle seductiveness way that Nick looked at Alex brought a slight smile to his face, and it didn't go unnoticed by Alden and Liam who found themselves looking at each other and grinning. Liam wondered how long it would be before Nick got his hands on the prince and judging by the look it had happened and he was surprised Alex kept quiet to him about it.

Josh was last out of the car and stood there "How do I get home?" he asked Liam and Alex.
Alex turned to him "You want to stay the night?" he asked.
He looked a little apprehensive at first "Here in the palace?" he asked finally.
Alex nodded "Where else?" he replied laughing, "Don't worry I won't expect anything" he added.
"Clear it with the king first" Liam advised so Alex quickly walked up to his father.
"Am I allowed to then?" Josh asked Liam as they stood waiting.
Liam nodded as Alex walked back over to them "You can stay with me" Alex said happily to Josh.
"What about me?" Liam asked in a quiet voice, "Don't I get invited?" he spoke looking serious.
Alex went bright red being put on the spot so openly by Liam "Not tonight" he said kindly and smirked.

Liam laughed and walked with them in to the palace accompanying his prince up to his quarters then said good night and disappeared in to his rooms. Josh was desperate to ask but he kept his mouth shut for now. He waited a short time whilst Alex was in the dressing room being attended to by Artem, during this time he stripped and retrieved a t-shirt from his rucksack and kept his underwear on the sat on the bed waiting for Alex unsure if he was sleeping in the bed with him. Artem disappeared and Alex walked in to the bedroom in just his underwear. Josh looked over at him and gave him a cheeky grin whilst taking a good look at the prince almost naked.

"What?" Alex asked smirking at Josh, "I thought this was a plutonic relationship!".
"It is" Josh replied, "I can look though surely" he said as Alex walked over to him.
"Take this off and let me see you properly" Alex said lifting Josh's t-shirt up.
He giggled and took it off "Where am I sleeping?" Josh asked glancing around.
"Here with me. I think I can trust you not to take advantage of me" Alex replied softly.

Josh was surprised as Alex began to take off his underwear slowly whilst performing an erotic, seductive dance that had lead to Josh giggling in fits of laughter until Alex threw his underwear in his face then jumped in to bed. Josh shrugged and took his off dropping them on Alex's face and climbed in to bed next to Alex who was now laughing. The subtle glow from the bedside lamp dimly illuminated their face as they laid in bed together.

"I envy you with you all this, it must be such an amazing life you have" Josh said glancing at Alex.
Alex rolled on to his side facing Josh "I suppose. It is very lonely though" he replied.
"Lonely?" Josh asked turning on his side to face Alex, "But you have all these people around you".
"They work for the palace and some are in my trusted circle" Alex said with a tinge of sadness.
Josh smiled "You have a circle of trust!" he exclaimed and nodded understanding what Alex meant.
"Small one" Alex replied, "It is still lonely as I don't have any real close friends as such".
"I see" Josh said staring at Alex, "Not all glitz and glamour underneath then" he remarked.
"No" Alex replied then softly he stroked Josh's chest, "I feel I can trust you Josh" he added.
Josh smiled and moved Alex's hand and held it "I will never let you down Alex, friends for life?".
Alex smiled and nodded "Yes" he simply replied staring in his eyes.
Josh felt such a warmth of love for Alex right now "Don't take this the wrong way!" he said.

Alex looked slightly confused raising an eyebrow, Josh leaned closer until their lips touched and they kissed several times. Something Alex had never really felt before began warming through his body, a real affection for Josh suddenly appeared and he leaned forward and kissed Josh then laid his head back on the pillow smiling. This time Josh ran his fingers down Alex's chest and strange as it appeared it wasn't a sexual move, rather a trusting friendship that was bonding them together. Josh shuffled closer to Alex and they cuddled wrapping their arms around each other giggling, talking and laughing until they both finally asleep. 

By morning Artem arrived with two coffees and put them down waking Josh up who had a startled moment trying to remember where he was. Artem placed the morning paper on Alex who mumbled and rubbed his eyes waking up. Artem giggled and pointed to the paper and the photo of Alex with Josh walking behind and Liam hidden from view making it looked like they were on a date. Josh grabbed one of the supplement sections and quickly turned to the fashion pages that always appeared in the weekend papers. There was a picture of Prince Alexander and the article that followed 'His Royal Highness Prince Alexander accompanied his family to the Ballet Royal premier last night dressed in a suit by Josh Franks who was also present in the royal box. It is not for this fashion editor to speculate or read between the lines...'. Josh handed the piece to Alex who read it and shrugged throwing it on the floor.

"Doesn't bother you?" Josh asked looking at him.
"No" Alex replied, "It seems my love life is suddenly big news" he said sipping his coffee.
Josh leaned over picking the paper up again "Well you are the first gay prince" he reminded him.
"I suppose" Alex replied contemplating for a moment, "That will do well for your business".
Josh nodded "Yeah, not that I need to be any busier" he said reading the article in full.
"Do you not want to be a top designer?" Alex asked curiously.
"Never really thought about it" Josh replied honestly, "I want a man first then a career".
Alex laughed "Don't we all. It will be big news the king wearing your clothes" he said.
"Come on ladies where do you want breakfast?" Artem asked returning to the bedroom.
Josh put the paper down "He needs to be taught a lesson" he said to Alex.
Alex nodded "Yeah getting a little too big for his boots" he replied putting his cup down.
Artem folded his arms "Get up or do I have to drag you out of bed... again!" he said smirking.
"Alright!" Alex replied rolling his eyes, "God you are pushy, breakfast with the family" he added.
"I should get going" Josh said grabbing his underwear and putting them on under the sheet.
"Nonsense, have breakfast with us, the family know you" Alex said getting up walking around naked.
"By the way Josh, I am having a party Wednesday after church, you will come?" he asked.
Josh smiled "Yeah I would love to Alex" he replied, "Err... Can I have a shower?" he asked.
Alex giggled "Of course" he said pointing to the bathroom, "You want some clothes as well?".
"No I have some in my ruck sack" Josh replied going to the bathroom.

Josh finally left the palace just before midday having spent an incredible morning with the royal family and measuring the king and Alden up for suits who said they would stop by on Monday to choose fabrics. His whole life seemed to be taking a whole new direction knowing that this could propel him in the fashion world dressing royalty, what he did love most of all was Alex, they had got along so well becoming very good friends, even Alden was hanging around having enjoyed Josh's company at the ballet. Josh was under no illusion that he would have to remain discreet having a friend like Alex in his life.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 2

As always, I'm chuckling a mile a minute at the dialogues involving Liam, Artem, and now Josh, Alden and Francis too. Alden has really loosened up, and it suits him. On the opposite pole, I caught my breath and froze right along with Stephanie and could totally picture the expression on her face when Max showed her the two pictures. This novel continues to amaze and grip me.

• Like 1