Darkroom Locations?

ErosWired

I read on here about men’s experiences in true darkrooms - lightless holes where sight is irrelevant and all the other senses are employed in an excess of anonymous sex. Sounds like my kind of place. But I have yet to actually find one. Can anyone recommend some of the best places to go to find really good - and really dark - darkrooms?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The darkest one that I have been to in my travels has to be the sunday afternoon nude session @ S.L.U.T club in Hamburg - Germany. Footware only. You are given a miners lamp, but only anyone newly there tended to use them..otherwise the play area was pitch black. They also keep the bar area in very low light.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I remember a place in Montreal that had a dim basement room, and then another room with a low ceiling leading off that with no light except what was reflected in, and there was a heap of guys fucking raw during the times when condoms were the norm (as they were upstairs). I returned to Montreal a year later and walked the streets trying to find it again but couldn’t.

I look forward to reading answers to your query as I’m also frustrated by the tendency to have well lit darkrooms, something of an oxymoron.

Berlin and Amsterdam have several. There are still rooms like that at a couple of sex clubs - Slammer in Ft Lauderdale and LA and the Chute in Phoenix.  The ones I used to hit often are all long gone now - SF, Chicago, East St Louis.

There are some in Budapest too. I love to fuck and to be fucked in Coxx, which is a cruising bar. There are several places but in the dark room are two corners where is completely dark. 
In Magnum sauna are mire dark rooms, one of them is also totally dark. And the end of the steam bath room is quite dark. So, there are many opportunities. 

On 1/13/2020 at 11:55 AM, Leather69 said:

The darkest one that I have been to in my travels has to be the sunday afternoon nude session @ S.L.U.T club in Hamburg - Germany. 

I was in Hamburg over the weekend and can confirm this. Great place to take loads from big-dicked German hunks.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:57 AM, ErosWired said:

Interesting - So far, nothing in the United States...

i'm following this thread and have noticed the same thing.  True dark rooms seem rare.  We have a BH in Portland OR called "Hawks" that claims to have a "dark room," but it is little more than a darkish walk in closet.  my guess is businesses might avoid them for their potential for accidents and injury?  i imagine, on the other hand, that a true dark room would draw a lot of guys.  

Having a "dark room" in the description on their web site was the whole reason i even went to Hawks, it's what drew me in. They also have what they call "lights out" night, but again, it's not dark, just dimmer. 

I would venture to say - US doesn't have one that is truly Euro-style pitch-black dark. They are all dim-lit at best, or have flat out visible light levels. Could be building/fire safety codes and what not, but end result is not very conducive to anonymous sex. Toronto can give some competition, but I haven't been there recently, and remember only Steamworks from few years ago. The Zone in LA has a near-pitch-black nook on the ground floor. Some prefer Slammer, but to me they are nearly equal in terms of the crowd of the day. Sometimes a hit, some times a miss. In NYC there is not a whole lot left in my opinion - Paddles in Chelsea has such a small nook for a city this size that with usual gay attendance it is really good only for quickies, or you get crowded out. Haven't been to Rainbow Playground in LIC.

Europe traditionally has plenty. Out of major cities - just 2 samples, say London and Berlin. From the pitch-black variety that is not a steamroom or other combined facility - they are very different in sizing, sometimes very simple square room (Brighton Sauna, UK)), sometimes an elaborate maze with nooks and crannies (smaller - Scheune bar, larger and more elaborate - Mutschmann's, for large events - Connection bar, all in Schöneberg, Berlin). THE LAB in Berlin is above and beyond any competition anywhere. In Munich I think the best place is Deutsche Eiche, but it's a sauna first. The best place in Barcelona in my opinion is Open Mind bar. The place is medium-sized, small corridor for blackout area, but the rest of the place is very democratically dimly lit - catch their theme nights, worth a trip. Same as The Boots in Antwerp - look up to attend an event.

In Australia I remember Club 80 in Melbourne - fond memories. I've heard it is closing soon (the building got sold), but not sure how that gonna transpire, if they relocate or not. Signal in Sydney was good, but it also is already closed, seemingly without relocation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinster said:

They are all dim-lit at best, or have flat out visible light levels. Could be building/fire safety codes and what not

^ This. One of the quickest ways a municipality can shut down an “undesirable” adult business in a neighborhood is to send in the Fire Marshall and have the place cited as unsafe. The Fire Marshall can shut a place down and it’s not going to open again until he’s satisfied that it complies to the letter of the code. And there’s always something else wrong.

That’s precisely what happened with the Louisville Bondage Club a few years ago when it shared a warehouse play space with a couple of other alternative-lifestyle groups. One night the Fire Marshall showed up, and after that, no more play space. No cops, no arrests, no question about rights or obscenity or any such as that, just bureaucratic fiat against which there is no appeal.

• Upvote 1