This on the Sky News website tonight:

“Anyone who has been in close proximity to a monkeypox sufferer no longer needs to isolate - providing they have no symptoms, health officials have said.The new advice comes as the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said it had got 100,000 more vaccines as monkeypox cases continue to rise. As of 18 July, there were 2,137 confirmed cases in the UK. Of these, 2,050 are in England, with a large proportion of the cases found in London. New information shows that only a relatively small number of close contacts have gone on to develop monkeypox themselves.”

8 hours ago, rawTOP said:

All we can do is vote for whoever challenges Biden in the primary.

If Biden gets challenged in the primary almost certain he will be defeated in November (just ask Jimmy Carter (or would be president teddy Kennedy)

while I get frustrated with  Biden at times - you need to remember that he can only do so much by himself- and the senate is 50 50

and our good friend sen Manchen seems to enjoy stringing the party along and then saying no at the last moment 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

Actually, the odds, as you describe them, might be elevated in your case, at least for the combo.

Not sure whether this is your first Herpes infection, or an outbreak of an existing, ongoing infection, but even if the latter, that can dampen your immune system (because it's fighting the herpes outbreak either way). That can leave you susceptible to other infections, like strep, which you might otherwise be able to fend off.

Or, even if you're on meds and undetectable, your system is still constantly dealing with HIV; and the meds themselves are quite possibly, albeit slowly, taking a toll on other bodily processes. That, too, can lower your overall defenses just enough that in combination with the herpes infection or outbreak, you were vulnerable to the strep as well.

I have had herpes before - usually right on the tailbone, though. And every test reveals it's the "oral" strain, for whatever that's worth. Actually, the physician's assistant at my colo-rectal surgeon posited that it went the other way around, I got the strep (throat, too) and that created the conditions for herpes. No real way to know, though. I've had a combination before, but that was MRSA and herpes many years ago.

What I meant by "what are the odds" was on how closely it mimicked Monkeypox right at the moment where there's an ongoing spate of cases. (Is it an epidemic yet?) The physician's assistant wasn't 100% sure, but we were going with the assumption that it was likely. However, after contacting the guys who I'd had sex with none of them had any problems at all. It was certainly puzzling - an "immaculate infection?"

Edited by NYBBGUY58
Accuracy.

14 hours ago, NWUSHorny said:

If this continues, I plan to ask about the older ACAM2000 vaccine and what risks might be associated with taking it. In my case I know that I did tolerate an older version of that type of vaccine 52 years ago,

From the Medication Guide for ACAM2000 ([think before following links] https://www.fda.gov/media/75800/download) --

"ACAM2000 may cause serious heart problems called myocarditis and pericarditis, or swelling of the heart tissues. In studies, about 1 in every 175 persons who got the vaccine for the first time may have experienced myocarditis and/or pericarditis.”

People with compromised immune systems can't receive this vaccine because ACAM2000 is based on a live virus which can cause various skin diseases and several neurological diseases, including encephalitis.

From a 2010 journal article describing the development and testing of ACAM2000 ([think before following links] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2880337/pdf/dddt-4-071.pdf) -- 

"Whereas cardiac events had been reported in the literature before 2003, they were largely unrecognized during the worldwide eradication campaign and were thought to occur very rarely. Only six cases of cardiac complications after smallpox vaccination with the NYCBH strain of vaccinia had been reported in the US before 2003."

I'd also hazard a guess that when you were vaccinated 52 years ago, your immune system wasn't compromised. I know that when I was vaccinated for smallpox some 60 years ago, my immune system was in better shape than it is now.

16 hours ago, onlyraw said:

and the senate is 50 50

and our good friend sen Manchen seems to enjoy stringing the party along and then saying no at the last moment 

50/50 - mostly in name only.  Mr. Manchen has bent over so far for Big Coal money, I doubt he can take a shit in the morning. I don't think a pencil would fit up his greed-encrusted rrrrrrrrrasshole !!!!! He's no Democrat - he's a MyMoneyFirstCrat.

I very much hope Biden prevents that pipeline from going through WV.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, NEDenver said:

My VA hospital’s ID clinic is expecting vaccines to be available sometime between late August and early October.  In the meantime I have some resistance yet from my childhood smallpox vaccine.

I pulled out my childhood vaccination records. There were a total of four shots for Smallpox (18 months, then at 5, 10, 15 years old). I got my first one and then they stopped Smallpox vaccinations. So with only 1 of 4, I assume that gives me zero protection. Backing it up, you'd need to be over 70 to have gotten all of the shots and possibly have some protection.

• Upvote 1

The nurse who gave me my monkeypox vaccine said the smallpox vaccine protection for monkeypox starts dropping off after 3 years.  I think there are very few on bz that got a smallpox vaccine in the last 3 years. 

Get your shots, boys and girlz! 

• Upvote 2

On 7/17/2022 at 3:08 PM, BootmanLA said:

Indeed, vaccines are in short supply.

At least the first dose of the Monkeypox vaccine is available in Montreal to Gay tourists (maybe all tourists),. I got mine yesterday,. You do have to make an appointment online first,

This generosity can't last forever and the US *IS* going to fuck this up,. Make your appointment and get up here,

2 hours ago, Daddyslut4use said:

Got my first shot yesterday. They are rationing in LA based upon STI history. 
Absolutely no pain or soreness today. I go back in 4 weeks for number 2. 
Based upon my experience to date, run, do not walk, to get yours if it’s made available to you. 

LA here.  I got an email on Monday from my health provider that said I was eligible for the vaccine and a number to call for an appointment.  It took a while, but I have an appointment next week.  I couldn’t understand how i was eligible.  Now I know.

• Administrators

If you want a vaccine shot and can’t get one and have some money to burn or frequent flyer miles… Go to Canada. 

Toronto doesn’t require an appointment, ID or a health card - you just get in line and they give you a shot (It’s what I did - I happened to be there). Be prepared to give a Canadian address and phone number - though you could probably give the address of a hotel and a US phone number and they’d be fine. 

Montréal requires an appointment but I saw something on Twitter saying they will vaccinate tourists. 

It’s sad that folks in the US have to resort to this. But when it came to COVID the situation was reversed. I know NYC was giving shots to tourists and Canadians were coming here to get them. So it’s not like you have to be ashamed of using their health system when we let them use ours not so long ago. 

And again - if you’re in the US - please refuse your 2nd shot until all your gay brothers have had a chance to get their 1st shot. You can get your 2nd shot any time in the next 2 years and have the same level of protection. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SoCalBBversbttm said:

LA here.  I got an email on Monday from my health provider that said I was eligible for the vaccine and a number to call for an appointment.  It took a while, but I have an appointment next week.  I couldn’t understand how i was eligible.  Now I know.

STI history is a pretty good benchmark. I'm a bit concerned there won't be good triaging here, and given the super limited quantities, they'll give tons to the worry bees that have sex once every 2 years.

I hate to sound selfish, I don't like to see others become ill or not have the opportunity to protect themselves.  So if I appear to be gloating I apologize.  I really hope BZ members take this subject seriously.

Less than 24 hours ago it was reported that the state of Florida had received 25,000 doses of the vaccine and they would be distributed based on the number of cases in each county.

So for those in Florida I would advise you to ack quickly.  Call your doctor or if you are involved with any Ryan White program contact your case manager as they may be able to tell you where you can schedule an appointment.

I am very happy for my fellow BZ members who have either gotten the vaccine or have scheduled appointments.  That is fantastic news and I have really happy for you guys.  I hope everyone will take this seriously and act as quickly as possible to protect themselves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3